News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

Yes, but there are currently no buses that serve Forge Mill Farm. It was asked of which route it would take if it were extended to West Bromwich, and I provided a nice and unique one.

Also, on looking at that route I saw that there was a set of horse crossing lights on Park Lane which I found adorable.

Quote from: ellspurs on April 22, 2021, 11:18:15 PM
Yes, but there are currently no buses that serve Forge Mill Farm. It was asked of which route it would take if it were extended to West Bromwich, and I provided a nice and unique one.

Also, on looking at that route I saw that there was a set of horse crossing lights on Park Lane which I found adorable.
Would enough passengers travel on the bus to a farm to justify a bus service however. Probably not, which explains why there is no service.
There doesn't seem to be any houses, shops or anything there. Just a farm and a walking path.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

I'm fully aware that there's no point to it.

Quote from: Alex on November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM
Title says it all, really
Money or patronage is no issue here as it's just for fun, so have at it :)

I'm gonna quote the original post again.

j789

I'd create a new X50 route limited stop to Maypole and then onward to Wythall and Dickens Heath as a loop.

Route from city - all stops on main road through Digbeth up to the ring road (not via the current 50 route 'round the back streets'). Then straight over the ring road island continuing onto the A435 Haden way and then joining Moseley Road.(Possibly have one stop on Haden way near the main island near the mosque as no bus currently serves there at the moment.

Then the only stops to Maypole would be: 1 stop in Balsall Heath, the 2 main stops in Moseley High street, then 4 stops through Kings Heath high street, Alcester Lanes end stop (for driver changeovers), the stop after Cocks Moor swimming pool and then Maypole itself. This would be about 16 stops maximum from the city centre.

Then the X50 would continue straight over the Maypole island onto Alcester Road and serve all stops through Hollywood and Wythall up to Beckett's Island, then turn left and go along Station road (as the old 50A route) but instead of turning down Lea Green Lane before Wythall station (as the previous route) continue along Station road and turn the next left into Lowbrook Lane for Tidbury Green (Solihull district). Follow this road to the cross roads and then go across to Dickens Heath road. Follow this to Dickens Heath centre and turn around at the Clock stop. Then return via Tythe Barn Lane up to Whitlock's End Station on Tile House lane, then left onto Haslucks Green Road, then left again onto Truemans Heath Lane to take you back up to Wythall and via Shawhurst lane to complete the loop back to Alcester Road and then return to city.

As a limited stop service, particularly with the touted Bus priority measures being discussed for the A435, this would be a viable alternative to the train from Wythall, and would provide suitable quick competition to the new Kings Heath train station soon to be reopened. It would take about 50 minutes end to end. The Wythall and Dickens Heath loop would provide lots of new (and most importantly quick) links to Birmingham that do not exist currently, Dickens Heath has 1000s of houses and no direct bus or train route to Birmingham.

A rather long winded idea but one that I do feel would prove popular and allow for a decrease of the main 50 route to every 7/8 minutes with the x50 being at least every 12 minutes.

Quote from: j789 on April 23, 2021, 09:06:17 PM
Dickens Heath has 1000s of houses and no direct bus or train route to Birmingham.
Dickens Heath could alternatively be served from the Stratford Road I think? As its not far of the Stratford road.

They'd probably need to cut the trees back if it was served from the Whitlocks End direction. As from my memory there are lots of low trees on Tythe Barn Lane, so the double deckers can go down there.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

Quote from: 2206 on April 23, 2021, 09:30:43 PM
Dickens Heath could alternatively be served from the Stratford Road I think? As its not far of the Stratford road.

They'd probably need to cut the trees back if it was served from the Whitlocks End direction. As from my memory there are lots of low trees on Tythe Barn Lane, so the double deckers can go down there.

Yes, Tythe Barn Lane would need  some trees cut back but as it comes under Solihull I'm sure some arrangement could be made through the council and Network West Midlands to carry this out.

The reason for the '50 based' route as opposed to Stratford Road is to also provide Wythall with this service too, and also by serving the 50 route up to Maypole the X50 would be a useful route for shorter journey passengers too between there and the city. And also allow for a decrease in the normal 50 route frequency. It would be more difficult to divert off the Stratford road as it would mean taking a bus currently terminating at Solihull and instead bringing it to Dickens Heath which I don't think would be as financially viable as my X50 suggestion.

Quote from: j789 on April 23, 2021, 09:42:09 PM
Yes, Tythe Barn Lane would need  some trees cut back but as it comes under Solihull I'm sure some arrangement could be made through the council and Network West Midlands to carry this out.

The reason for the '50 based' route as opposed to Stratford Road is to also provide Wythall with this service too, and also by serving the 50 route up to Maypole the X50 would be a useful route for shorter journey passengers too between there and the city. And also allow for a decrease in the normal 50 route frequency. It would be more difficult to divert off the Stratford road as it would mean taking a bus currently terminating at Solihull and instead bringing it to Dickens Heath which I don't think would be as financially viable as my X50 suggestion.
I thought it could possibly loop down to serve the clock stop then back up to the Stratford Road and into Solihull direct via the YW6 route.
It could then replace the A4/A5 link to Shirley & Solihull. As there's no low trees on that route so could use the electric double deckers.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

Quote from: 2206 on April 23, 2021, 09:51:22 PM
I thought it could possibly loop down to serve the clock stop then back up to the Stratford Road and into Solihull direct via the YW6 route.
It could then replace the A4/A5 link to Shirley & Solihull. As there's no low trees on that route so could use the electric double deckers.

That could work, I actually thought my x50 idea too would replace part of the A4 route in Wythall and Dickens Heath as the current route is rather daft the way it goes so far round the reacon to get there.

I still prefer the Alcester road idea though, particularly as it will give NXWM ammunition to compete better with a faster city route than currently against the train when Kings Heath station opens. Also, if that cross city 50/82/87 route comes into place, the X50 would be an ideal route to run alongside on this side of the city.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on April 23, 2021, 09:30:43 PM

Dickens Heath falls into that South-/East- ruralish Solihull that NX doesn't seem to want to operate in, probably due to the low population numbers.

j789

Quote from: ellspurs on April 24, 2021, 06:14:54 AM
Dickens Heath falls into that South-/East- ruralish Solihull that NX doesn't seem to want to operate in, probably due to the low population numbers.

I can understand that approach concerning places like Knowle and Dorridge which are out of the way and also have good train links to Birmingham. Dickens Heath isn't like that as is only one mile from Shirley so isn't exactly out the way either. And with no direct train service to Birmingham, a direct bus service could work. NXWM already run a school service to Dickens Heath so I think it is feasible for them to do this without any extreme financial risks.

Stu

Quote from: j789 on April 24, 2021, 11:22:16 AM
Dickens Heath isn't like that as is only one mile from Shirley so isn't exactly out the way either. And with no direct train service to Birmingham, a direct bus service could work.

Whitlocks End station has regular trains to Birmingham, and is only a short distance from Dickens Heath.

One would imagine that commuters from Dickens Heath would either cycle or drive to the station as it is a Park And Ride site.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on April 24, 2021, 12:50:15 PM
Whitlocks End station has regular trains to Birmingham, and is only a short distance from Dickens Heath.

One would imagine that commuters from Dickens Heath would either cycle or drive to the station as it is a Park And Ride site.
It takes me about 20 minutes to walk from Whitlocks End to Dickens Heath. It's quite a long walk really.
So the time it takes to walk it, if there was a direct bus service you could be nearly in the City Centre on the bus in that time, if there was a direct bus service. So a Stratford Rd service rerouted to serve the clock stop could work I think.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on April 24, 2021, 04:30:07 PM
It takes me about 20 minutes to walk from Whitlocks End to Dickens Heath. It's quite a long walk really.
So the time it takes to walk it, if there was a direct bus service you could be nearly in the City Centre on the bus in that time, if there was a direct bus service. So a Stratford Rd service rerouted to serve the clock stop could work I think.

I doubt it would work, the type of area gives more to rail travel

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on April 24, 2021, 04:30:07 PM

Well yeah, but like I said:

Quote from: Stu on April 24, 2021, 12:50:15 PM

I don't know how well used the current A4 service is that runs through Dickens Heath, but the fact that it only exists via subsidy from TfWM probably says a lot. Maybe the few bus passengers from there are happy to just travel into Solihull, or change in Shirley for the 6 service to Birmingham.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

https://uktransport.fandom.com/wiki/West_Midlands_Stratford_Road_bus_corridor

Seems that NXWM did look at extending the old route 4 (the one that went via Cheswick Green) through to Dickens Heath when they did the Solihull review, but ultimately decided that the roads weren't suitable for double deckers, so instead went for the more, direct 5 route and skipping out that area completely.

I'm sure someone can correct me if that info is wrong.

I used to like catching the 4 from Solihull to Birmingham (except the Springfield Road part). Never seemed to pick many people up in Cheswick Green.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk