News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands buses vs

Started by Ben, October 06, 2014, 01:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I was just thinking of how well operators such as National Express West Midlands/Coventry and transport authorities such as Centro compare to their counterparts in other areas, since I have recently moved to Preston (Lancashire).

I thought it would be an interesting topic to compare operators/PTE's, inside and outside of the West Midlands. Obviously all in good spirit.

In terms of transport authority, I've come to realise how excellent Centro is compared to other places.
Here in Preston, both the borough council and Lancashire county council need to get into the 21st Century. SOME local bus stops here have a digital display by an organisation known as 'Civitas', but the likelihood of it working is probably 1%
Even the bus station has a lack of electronic screens.

Having said that, the buses seem to operate to a reasonable standard, but even the newer hybrid Wright Eclipse double deckers operated by Preston Bus seem to be in worse condition internally compared to a lot of NXWM Tridents which are older.

Although pricing is reasonable on Preston bus. £1.75 for a single ticket.

See my sig for my opinion of Stagecoach. Say what you like about the company, but the pricing makes no sense at all.

Alex

Blackpool's buses are quite decent, tbh, some of the East Lancs are quite decent for their age, at least in comparison to the Y reg Tridents in the midlands, and its good to see Excels still in service somewhere. Also, being able to get on bus and trams for only £2.25, in comparison to about £4.20 in the midlands
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Tony

Quote from: ARJ2901 on November 22, 2014, 02:59:55 PM
Blackpool's buses are quite decent, tbh, some of the East Lancs are quite decent for their age, at least in comparison to the Y reg Tridents in the midlands, and its good to see Excels still in service somewhere. Also, being able to get on bus and trams for only £2.25, in comparison to about £4.20 in the midlands

£2.25 vs £4.20 ? please tell us which prices you are comparing.

Alex

Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Tony

Quote from: ARJ2901 on November 22, 2014, 03:18:33 PM
The bus and tram tickets

Aaah. Child rate with the West Midlands price wrong!

Blackpool Bus & Tram ticket £4.50 (£2.25 child)
Midland Metro & Bus ticket £6.00 (for a much larger area) (£4 child)

Bob

Blackpool transport is amazingly still in public ownership. !

Ben

Quote from: Bob on November 22, 2014, 05:43:41 PM

I thought Blackpool Transport was 'arms length'? I was wondering how long it would be before complete privatisation? If so who would take over?

Tony

Quote from: Ben on December 21, 2014, 08:55:59 PM
Quote from: Bob on November 22, 2014, 05:43:41 PM

I thought Blackpool Transport was 'arms length'? I was wondering how long it would be before complete privatisation? If so who would take over?

All 'Corporations' are arms length Companies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk