News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Started by wilmotm (Matt Wilmot), May 24, 2012, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Was on PE 502 today and it really was in excellent condition, the engine was running sweetly, no squeaks or rattles and the interior was spotleslly clean and tidy with all the seats in the same refurb livery showing little signs of wear and tear. It also seems very practical with the seats over the wheelarch and a very good disabled/buggy area. Am I right in saying that this is NXWM's oldest bus left in service? Entering service in September 1996 with the B10's not arriving to 1997 even though they are both on P plates.

Anyway will be sad to see the B6's go from PE but they really do need replacing with something just as small as the 222 route is an absolute nightmare, with speedhumps, parked cars, mini roundabouts, speed calming measures etc....

D10

According to my official NX fleetlist, of vehicles currently allocated to a garage then 502 and also 508, 510 and 1404 are all down as September 1996, so it will be down to which ever day that month they actually carried their first passengers in service I guess...

Ash

Yeah just because its first in the fleetlist doesnt mean it was out in service first

Liberator9

Never been on 502 but I luckily went on 501 before it was withdrawn :'(  I must say the same apart from some seats looking slightly worn. Quite a few of the Crusaders are in a good condition such as 528 and 537 were and also a WA refurbished one whose number which I've forgotten, which was excellent. Its a shame many were rotting but they've done well and been good buses. Despite 627 had several worrying noises through 2010 it did also gradually get better!

matt904102

502 has had a hard life. it was new to Oak lane but transferred to Pensnett with the Stourbridge network in 2000. For most of its life it spent 16 hours a day being thraped around the 247/8 circular routes. B6s  pose a problem for Travel in that they don't carry enough diesel to stay out from 6 in the morning till after 12 at night. At pensnett 501 to 509 were sent away to be fitted with a second tank. 544 (still in service here) was transferred in from Carl Street already converted.

Ashley

I assume 502 is the oldest active bus and also one of the all time best B6LE's. ive only been on it twice but both were nice runs, always close to spotless and never rattles much. I've got a video of it on my YouTube page on the 222.

Paul

Wasn't 551 the first B6 in service as demo on the 79E
In the blue/grey & red livery

John

Quote from: Paul on July 02, 2012, 09:48:53 PM

Yes it was, I think it was a Demonstrator, hence the different reg, and then renumbered in line with the deliveries of the B6's.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: Paul on July 02, 2012, 09:48:53 PM

No one ever said 502 was the first B6LE as we know it wasn't, myself and Ashley are saying that 502 is the oldest B6 left in service with 551 being withdrawn and scrapped nearly 2 years ago with 502 still going very strong indeed

Ashley

I wasn't saying 502 was the first B6 in service. I was simply saying that I thought 502 was the oldest active bus

Paul

Sorry!!! Suppose to have said :- was 551 the first B6 in
Service etc....

Ashley

Well thanks for the info. Which B10L was the first into service

Ash

I have a photo at home 551 in the first few days of service on the 79E, i agree that some of the b6le's left in service sound and look great internally went on 595 the other day on the 405 not refurbed but sounded in good condition hardly any rattles or viberation and the acceleration was not slow at all.

Ashley

595 isn't too bad, now they've taken the metal off the seats it looks better. The graffiti lets t down abit though. Got a vid of it on Youtube from a couple of weeks ago, dont remember hearing any rattles

winston

Quote from: Ashley on July 03, 2012, 08:18:43 PM
Well thanks for the info. Which B10L was the first into service

I believe from memory the first were 1401 & 1404 along with Scania's 1398 & 1399 at WA on route 302

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk