News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Why change the service numbers?

Started by Dutsey, September 11, 2014, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

Why did NXWM feel the need to change the bus service numbers across the region. IMHO I liked the fact that the major towns/cities had unique numbers i.e. with Walsall starting with a 3, Wolverhampton 5 etc , to me now they just look messy and could cause confusion for out of towners.

winston

Quote from: Dutsey on September 11, 2014, 09:45:57 AM
Why did NXWM feel the need to change the bus service numbers across the region. IMHO I liked the fact that the major towns/cities had unique numbers i.e. with Walsall starting with a 3, Wolverhampton 5 etc , to me now they just look messy and could cause confusion for out of towners.

It wasn't NXWM, it was Centro's bright idea as part of the Network Reviews conducted

Dutsey

Quote from: Winston on September 11, 2014, 10:07:51 AM

It wasn't NXWM, it was Centro's bridge idea as part of the Network Reviews conducted

How has this been received?

andrew1991

Quote from: Dutsey on September 11, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

It wasn't NXWM, it was Centro's bright idea as part of the Network Reviews conducted

I prefer the Wolverhampton numbering system as it is now but I wouldn't like the idea of Dudley's bus numbers changing.

winston

Quote from: Dutsey on September 11, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

It wasn't NXWM, it was Centro's bridge idea as part of the Network Reviews conducted

I believe there was initial confusion when the long established route numbers were first changed, but some say that single digit route numbers are better & has help grow passenger numbers

However, it has left a number of issues regarding duplicate route numbers being used when searching for NXWM timetables / members reporting sighting on the forum, as follows:

5 Birmingham - The Baldwin - Shirley - Monkspath - Widney Manor Station - Solihull
5 West Bromwich - Great Barr, Scott Arms - Pheasey - New Oscott - Sutton Coldfield
5 Wolverhampton - Bilbrook - Codsall
5 Tile Hill - Earlsdon - Coventry City Centre - Coundon - Arena Retail Park (Tesco)
5A Birmingham - Hall Green - Shirley - Monkspath - Widney Manor Station - Solihull
5A Wolverhampton - Bilbrook - Codsall

Or you have two completely different 46's that terminate a short distance from one another

46 Birmingham - Lozells - Perry Barr
46 Londonderry - West Bromwich - Sandwell General Hospital - Hamstead - Great Barr, Scott Arms

Dutsey

I believe there was initial confusion when the long established route numbers were first changed, but some say that single digit route numbers are better & has help grow passenger numbers

That is quite interesting, I would like to see the evidence of that, a number helps the service grow mm...

trident4370

Personally I think they should have just left things as they were, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

andrew1991

Quote from: trident4370 on September 11, 2014, 03:50:01 PM
Personally I think they should have just left things as they were, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Things are better now in my opinion, a couple routes could do with a few tweaks but overall i prefer it now

The Real 4778

Quote from: Winston on September 11, 2014, 02:29:10 PM

However, it has left a number of issues regarding duplicate route numbers being used when searching for NXWM timetables / members reporting sighting on the forum, as follows:

5 Birmingham - The Baldwin - Shirley - Monkspath - Widney Manor Station - Solihull
5 West Bromwich - Great Barr, Scott Arms - Pheasey - New Oscott - Sutton Coldfield
5 Wolverhampton - Bilbrook - Codsall
5 Tile Hill - Earlsdon - Coventry City Centre - Coundon - Arena Retail Park (Tesco)
5A Birmingham - Hall Green - Shirley - Monkspath - Widney Manor Station - Solihull
5A Wolverhampton - Bilbrook - Codsall

Or you have two completely different 46's that terminate a short distance from one another

46 Birmingham - Lozells - Perry Barr
46 Londonderry - West Bromwich - Sandwell General Hospital - Hamstead - Great Barr, Scott Arms

That 46 is farcical.  I am relatively local (Sutton) but when in that area I totally expected one bus stop marked 46 to refer to the same service as another a few streets away.  A complete simpleton must have arrived at that published plan and thought it was good to implement.

As for the profusion of service 5s, it is simply stupid.  Is the population so dense they can't remember a three digit number - if that really is the case this place is doomed. I'd argue if you're unable to remember a three digit number then you're probably a danger to yourself.
Don't you start.

arrifirststage

Thank God I have someone else with the same viewpoint as me.
This cannot remember three digits rubbish is just symptomatic of the general trend to treat everyone as morons.
Route branding is another example........can people not read blinds (or LED to be pedantic) anymore,particularly when branded buses are on the wrong routes?
Do any statistics exist showing the number of passengers (sorry!,customers) who have boarded the wrong bus because they followed the branding and not the destination signs?
The sooner buses are run by busmen and not PR wonks the better!

Tony

Quote from: arrifirststage on September 11, 2014, 07:37:14 PM
This cannot remember three digits rubbish is just symptomatic of the general trend to treat everyone as morons.
Route branding is another example........can people not read blinds (or LED to be pedantic) anymore,particularly when branded buses are on the wrong routes?
Do any statistics exist showing the number of passengers (sorry!,customers) who have boarded the wrong bus because they followed the branding and not the destination signs?

No but all companies will tell you both increase passenger numbers, branding especially as it makes non bus users realise where buses go and how frequent they are. Every major operator and a lot of smaller ones are now doing it, do you really think branding is to stop people getting on the wrong bus?

fleetline6477

Another interesting point is Dudley Road branded Geminis operating on the 87 into Dudley, Bus Station have route 82 as part of the branding. Route 82 to Wolverhampton also operates into Dudley Bus Station.

John

Quote from: Tony on September 11, 2014, 07:53:35 PM
do you really think branding is to stop people getting on the wrong bus?

That doesn't work anyway! I left City on the 33 the other day on a branded bus, and I got to the Price St stop and a woman says 'Driver where'd you going? Thhis isn't the 65 route ' both me and a woman sitting on the front seat had to laugh, made my day that did  :)

arrifirststage

No but all companies will tell you both increase passenger numbers, branding especially as it makes non bus users realise where buses go and how frequent they are. Every major operator and a lot of smaller ones are now doing it, do you really think branding is to stop people getting on the wrong bus?
This amounts to a virtual admission that route branding is merely advertising.
As such,I can agree with it but surely the point would be to move the buses from route to route,emphasising the availability of a service,not confining (or trying to in most cases) them to one route.
The moving around of overall advertising buses confirms this,surely.
My Brother was MD of a large company (now part of First,unfortunately) and never saw the need for this multicoloured graffiti.
However,I don't think this is a subject on which we can ever all agree,since much is subjective.

winston

Quote from: arrifirststage on September 12, 2014, 09:26:41 AM

This amounts to a virtual admission that route branding is merely advertising.
As such,I can agree with it but surely the point would be to move the buses from route to route,emphasising the availability of a service,not confining (or trying to in most cases) them to one route.
The moving around of overall advertising buses confirms this,surely.
My Brother was MD of a large company (now part of First,unfortunately) and never saw the need for this multicoloured graffiti.
However,I don't think this is a subject on which we can ever all agree,since much is subjective.

Branding is advertising.

It is applied to highlight a particular route/corridors credentials i.e. destinations/via points/frequency/hours of operation etc, it is targeted at both existing bus user and potentially new bus users that may not currently be aware of the service.

It also helps buses for specific routes to become easily identifiable from a distance (assuming they are on the correct route)

If people get on a bus without being arsed to look at the front/side destination display and the branded bus is on the wrong route, that is there stupid fault......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk