News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Would it be worth extending the 902 and 905?

Started by Dutsey, September 10, 2014, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

Just a curious question about a couple of routes really, would it pay for the 902 to be extended from Hill Hook to Lichfield and the 905 from Roughley to Tamworth.

As I feel there is a lack of buses from Birmingham to Tamworth and more so Lichfield?

Stu

Quote from: Dutsey on September 10, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
As I feel there is a lack of buses from Birmingham to Tamworth and more so Lichfield?

Doesn't Arriva's 110 service (Birmingham to Tamworth) run every 15 minutes during the day already? How many more buses would you like? ;)

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Justin Tyme

Two potential barriers: -

1.  As Stu says, Arriva 110 runs every 15 minutes between Birmingham and Tamworth, and is more direct than an extended 905 would be.

2.  There are 6 trains an hour between Birmingham and Lichfield.  Arriva could not run Birmingham - Lichfield commercially, and the Sutton Coldfield - Lichfield corridor has settled down (after competition) to hourly - as it has been for many years.

Whilst both extensions would be "nice to have", I expect they would be loss-makers, so it is unlikely that they will happen.

Sh4318

Quote from: Justin Tyme on September 10, 2014, 09:08:17 PM
Two potential barriers: -

1.  As Stu says, Arriva 110 runs every 15 minutes between Birmingham and Tamworth, and is more direct than an extended 905 would be.

2.  There are 6 trains an hour between Birmingham and Lichfield.  Arriva could not run Birmingham - Lichfield commercially, and the Sutton Coldfield - Lichfield corridor has settled down (after competition) to hourly - as it has been for many years.

Whilst both extensions would be "nice to have", I expect they would be loss-makers, so it is unlikely that they will happen.

There are four. 4 trains per hour to Lichfield City, 2 trains extending to Lichfield Trent Valley
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Justin Tyme

Thank you Sh4318 - I stand corrected on the Birmingham - Lichfield train frequency.

Still, four trains per hour through the countryside to Lichfield - with two of those stopping at the only village en route beyond Blake Street - would be difficult to compete against for through traffic to and from Birmingham.

Ossie

You will see the 902 and 905 (and the 904 I guess) extended - but only very slightly, and probably in about 5 years time, as and when they build all those new housing estates on the green belt in the arc between Watford Gap and Minworth ......  ;D

Cheese

Quote from: Ossie on September 10, 2014, 10:47:01 PM
You will see the 902 and 905 (and the 904 I guess) extended - but only very slightly, and probably in about 5 years time, as and when they build all those new housing estates on the green belt in the arc between Watford Gap and Minworth ......  ;D

Would expect the 108 and 914 to also be looked at... Last time I saw the 108 it was a Solo, can remember NBB using Atlanteans on that and they were usually pretty full.

John

Quote from: Cheese on September 11, 2014, 08:32:20 AM

Would expect the 108 and 914 to also be looked at... Last time I saw the 108 it was a Solo, can remember NBB using Atlanteans on that and they were usually pretty full.

A 108 I saw pull into City this morning (on Solo 'L5 PPN') was full. I wonder if diamond have thought about running it throughout the day

Kevin

Quote from: John on September 11, 2014, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: Cheese on September 11, 2014, 08:32:20 AM

A 108 I saw pull into City this morning (on Solo 'L5 PPN') was full. I wonder if diamond have thought about running it throughout the day

I think they only see it as a commuter service, the 167/168 has those areas covered nicely during the day tbh. Unless there was some sort of network review for north birmingham that didn't focus on Pheasey then i doubt anything will change with those
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Bob

The 112 brum to lichfield (and previously burton) has a chequered history.  Cancelled, brought back with a fanfare ( I remember arriva's "its back!!" Posters all over the bus stands at lichfield bus station), run by cannock for a bit afterwards with X60 placing journeys,  then curtailed again to a pathetic two hourly joke to Sutton only run from wednesfield with crappy mpds....

Mike K

The 902 has already been extended once, from Hill Hook up to Shenstone but that was short lived and soon withdrawn. As stated, the various points between Sutton and Lichfield are already well served by the cross city line.

monkeyjoe

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=birmingham+eastern+fringe+bus+study&rlz=1C1OPRA_enGB580GB581&oq=birmin&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j0j69i61l2j69i65.2766j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Posted it already but relevant to this point made up above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk