News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Consequences

Started by domino.99, July 02, 2014, 09:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Accepted the points of privacy for the drivers etc....
But surely you can't be excusing someone working in a public service job to behave like that to their public?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

andy

Quote from: Kevin on July 02, 2014, 10:50:55 PM
Accepted the points of privacy for the drivers etc....
But surely you can't be excusing someone working in a public service job to behave like that to their public?

I don't think anybody was.

the trainbasher

Playing Devils Advocate, could the driver have a reason to be upset, could another passenger who boarded have tried to fare evade, could the op, playing extreme devils advocate, have provoked him, could he be running late?

As for the destination displays, again playing devils advocate, could the driver have been rushing due so lateness, or have simply forgotten to change it?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

nitromatt1

I can't quite believe what I'm reading here. Sorry, but microphones infringing drivers rights? What a load of rubbish.

@the trainbasher let's see some legislation that prevents NX from placing microphones in their cabs. They would not be "secret" as drivers would be fully aware of their presence.

@andy it seems almost common sense that such a high profile company as NX would have methods in place to prevent episodes like this from occuring. They would obviously not be constantly analysed, as recordings would only need to be retrieved when a claim of wrongdoing is made against a driver, which would not be a common occurence.

andy

Quote from: Matt on July 02, 2014, 11:03:25 PM
I can't quite believe what I'm reading here.

@the trainbasher let's see some legislation that prevents NX from placing microphones in their cabs. They would not be "secret" as drivers would be fully aware of their presence.

@andy it seems almost common sense that such a high profile company as NX would have methods in place to prevent episodes like this from occuring. They would obviously not be constantly analysed, as recordings would only need to be retrieved when a claim of wrongdoing is made against a driver, which would not be a common occurance.

Unfortunately Matt these tools are rarely used for what they were intended for.  If you work in a shop, nobody is recording your voice. If you work in a factory, nobody is. In an office. The list goes on. So why should a driver find it acceptable for some unknown member of staff to have permanent access to everything that he/she says and does?  We are all far too willing these days to accept excessive intrusion. I fully understand the need for cameras facing outwards to protect against insurance scams etc but I can't see any justification atall for cameras or microphones in the cab.

the trainbasher

@Matt

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
Article 8 of the Convention on Human Rights
Human Rights Act

In fact there is a case in the European Court of Human Rights.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

andrew1991

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/monitoring_at_work.htm

There is a difference between monitoring and violation of human rights, i understand both sides of the argument and personally i wouldn't want to be recorded but it could work both ways. i.e someone making a false claim....

nitromatt1

@the trainbasher that article has 54 pages, where exactly am I looking?

@andy I see your point, but as I already said, a driver should never need to say anything in the cab of a bus that he would not want anybody else to hear. One would hope that senior management at NX would use the tool for only its intended purposes, but regardless, if a driver has nothing to hide he has nothing to worry about.

Mike K

I can't say I agree with the idea of microphones. Being constantly recorded throughout your working life doesn't bear thinking about. Many years ago I worked in a call centre and having every single call recorded was bad enough, to be constantly recorded every minute of every day is just wrong.

Drivers are subject to intimidation, threats, abuse etc and every now and then it's only human nature that they will react and maybe say something in the heat of the moment. Is it right that microphone evidence could then be used by the company to discipline them? I don't think so.

Besides, would a cab microphone pick up abuse shouted from the back of a bus by a chav, or obscene hand gestures? No, but it would pick up anything the driver might say in return and he'd not have a leg to stand on.

Surveillance on buses should be used to ensure the safety of all on board, not yet another means of making an already challenging job harder still.

the trainbasher

@Matt ok, let's turn it so the boots is on the other foot.

You're at work, they have installed all sorts of surveillance equipment, including microphones to capture everything you say whilst at your desk. Hell, they could even listen to what you discuss with colleagues during your lunch break?

Would you or would you not feel like your privacy was being invaded?

Now turn it onto the bus driver...

the trainbasher

@Mike K I hasten to agree with you

andy

Quote from: Matt on July 02, 2014, 11:21:23 PM
@the trainbasher that article has 54 pages, where exactly am I looking?

@andy I see your point, but as I already said, a driver should never need to say anything in the cab of a bus that he would not want anybody else to hear. One would hope that senior management at NX would use the tool for only its intended purposes, but regardless, if a driver has nothing to hide he has nothing to worry about.

Fine, but what justification for having them? I haven't seen a convincing one. If you are concerned about what drivers say to passengers you are better off tackling the problem at its root causes than relying on a stick to beat with.

the trainbasher

@andy indeed, we need to be tough on crime on buses, tough on the causes of crime on buses.

nitromatt1

*sigh* You're missing the point @the trainbasher. Drivers do not spend their lunch breaks in the cab of a bus. I'm going to have to repeat this for a third time now. Drivers should never need say anything in the cab of a bus that they would not want their superiors to hear.

I also sincerely doubt there is anything in that article that would prevent the installation of microphones in bus cabs.

@andy it is tackling the problem at its roots, as the knowledge that his voice is being recorded would alter a drivers behaviour, as he would be unable to "get away" with saying certain things which otherwise he could.

andy

Quote from: Matt on July 02, 2014, 11:32:31 PM

@andy it is tackling the problem at its roots, as the knowledge that his voice is being recorded would alter a drivers behaviour, as he would be unable to "get away" with saying certain things which otherwise he could.

What I'm talking about is the driver's attitude in the first place, tackling what creates that rather than waiting until there is an issue and punishing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk