News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Easter Sunday service and profits

Started by s94, April 20, 2014, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s94

With many shops and businesses closed today on Easter Sunday it had me wondering whether bus companies make a loss on Easter Sunday due to vastly reduced patronage. Obviously some attractions are open but shopping centres for example aren't yet a full Sunday timetable runs. For example I live on the 276/297 route and the 276 had it's usual trident allocation today yet barely any passengers and just a few at best on the lower deck for example.

What's it like in your area?

Would a Boxing Day type service suffice better to save money?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: s94 on April 20, 2014, 09:48:14 PM
With many shops and businesses closed today on Easter Sunday it had me wondering whether bus companies make a loss on Easter Sunday due to vastly reduced patronage. Obviously some attractions are open but shopping centres for example aren't yet a full Sunday timetable runs. For example I love on the 276/297 route and the 276 had it's usual trident allocation today yet barely any passengers and just a few at best on the lower deck for example.

Would a Boxing Day service suffice better to save money?

Saw 2 separate B7RLES on the 276 tonight and both totally empty, what a waste of money, surely on Easter Sunday a Boxing Day type of service would be more appropriate.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Matt.N0056

I was thinking the same myself. The 900,in to Birmingham, I was on did have a fair few passengers, but I suppose this is due to it connecting Coventry, Airport & Birmingham

Trident 4609

Tbh in W'ton today I was surprised there wasn't much difference with a usual Sunday (passenger number wise) despite most shops being closed. It was quieter than usual don't get me wrong but busier than I expected

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 20, 2014, 09:52:01 PM
With many shops and businesses closed today on Easter Sunday it had me wondering whether bus companies make a loss on Easter Sunday due to vastly reduced patronage. Obviously some attractions are open but shopping centres for example aren't yet a full Sunday timetable runs. For example I love on the 276/297 route and the 276 had it's usual trident allocation today yet barely any passengers and just a few at best on the lower deck for example.

Saw 2 separate B7RLES on the 276 tonight and both totally empty, what a waste of money, surely on Easter Sunday a Boxing Day type of service would be more appropriate.

Heaven knows how many the 297 carried today. It's empty on "normal" Sundays. An hourly frequency is generous.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well on the 276 for example I'm sure running the Tridents where possible and B7's, although not needed capacity wise is still far more sensible than the Mercs.

Does 824 still regularly run the Sunday 297 as 823 used to?

nitromatt1

Quote from: wilmotm (Matt Wilmot) on April 20, 2014, 10:23:24 PM
Well on the 276 for example I'm sure running the Tridents where possible and B7's, although not needed capacity wise is still far more sensible than the Mercs.

823/824 ran the 297? I only ever see B7s

Steve6544

No the last two Sundays it has been on the 222

[/quote]

Trident 4609

Quote from: Matt on April 20, 2014, 10:24:13 PM
Quote from: wilmotm (Matt Wilmot) on April 20, 2014, 10:23:24 PM

823/824 ran the 297? I only ever see B7s

Its only ever B7's as Matt said. A B7RLE today in fact with no if not very little passengers (Can't remember exactly if there were any passengers aboard when I passed it)

Sh4318

Well technically Boxing Day service is Sunday service with some services finishing earlier. But I see your point, buses were dead around my area, as you'd expect, maybe it would be a bad idea to implement a 'special' Easter Sunday timetable, with routes having their frequencies halved or reduced slightly
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on April 20, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
I was thinking the same myself. The 900,in to Birmingham, I was on did have a fair few passengers, but I suppose this is due to it connecting Coventry, Airport & Birmingham
I'm doing the first late night I have done for ages with 4902 on the 900.  Very peaceful night.  Just got to do the 2320 back from Coventry now

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2014, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: Matt.N0056 on April 20, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
I'm doing the first late night I have done for ages with 4902 on the 900.  Very peaceful night.  Just got to do the 2320 back from Coventry now

What have your loadings been like?

Westy

I did toy with starting a similar topic earlier today but wasn't sure what sort of reaction I'd get, so I left it.

(Wonders how the 301 / 302 did?)

John

I was on early 94s yesterday, even after 11am, it was very quiet. A single Decker would have been sufficient for the number of passengers I carried. Apart from my last trip into city at 1pm, which did carry a few more people

wbdriver

around west brom, it was very quiet. apart from the St Georges Day parade in the town, that is. but when that had passed through, it was still quiet. i did 3 trips on the 5 from 11:45 to 16:15 and i only really had 1 busy trip, even that was only a half full bus. My last one though, about 10-15 people from Sutton to West Brom and had to wait everywhere, which is unusual.

Even the 74/5 were quiet. On my break, i was looking out over the bus station from the canteen and a 74 came in towards Dudley with 1 person on it! and that was at about 11:15.

on the funny side though, when i was in Oldbury and Blackheath on the 289 in the morning, i saw people trying to get into the Sainsburys there.....
an empty bus is a happy driver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk