News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Accident, Kings St, Dudley

Started by winston, March 24, 2014, 05:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Does anyone know what bus was involved in the accident in Kings St, Dudley resulting in its closure all afternoon?

notepanel

I'm not familiar with the area, but all the pictures seem to include an X96 branded B7.

https://twitter.com/ExpressandStar

John

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/emergency-services/2014/03/24/man-taken-to-hospital-after-collision-at-dudley-bus-station/

I was just about to mention this picture on the Express and Star site. The B7LRE looks to be stationary with the doors open, so may be one of the 4 X96 branded ones

Trident 4609

Quote from: Winston on March 24, 2014, 05:05:35 PM
Does anyone know what bus was involved in the accident in Kings St, Dudley resulting in its closure all afternoon?

A collision with a elderly pedestrian it seems:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/emergency-services/2014/03/24/man-taken-to-hospital-after-collision-at-dudley-bus-station/

wbdriver

an empty bus is a happy driver.

andrew1991

2095, I was a passenger in the front seat behind the door. The man stepped off the crossing backwards without looking, the lights were on green, the bus couldn't have even been travelling at 20mph and the driver didn't have time to avoid him.

the trainbasher

Hope the Pensnett driver is ok after the incident after considering the stress of it all.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Quote from: Andrew on March 24, 2014, 06:09:03 PM
2095, I was a passenger in the front seat behind the door. The man stepped off the crossing backwards without looking, the lights were on green, the bus couldn't have even been travelling at 20mph and the driver didn't have time to avoid him.

I hope you repeated that in any statement as a witness to the police.

I hope the chap does make a full recovery, but in situations like this, it always seems to be the motorist (whether a car or bus driver) that cops the blame. If pedestrians took more care around busy roads, there would be far fewer accidents (and claims for compensation!)

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

andrew1991

Quote from: Stu on March 24, 2014, 06:27:17 PM

I hope the chap does make a full recovery, but in situations like this, it always seems to be the motorist (whether a car or bus driver) that cops the blame. If pedestrians took more care around busy roads, there would be far fewer accidents (and claims for compensation!)

yes, I filled a witness report form in along with a Jamaican lady who was standing at the front of the bus wanting to get off at the next stop. a number of other passengers were also taken as witnesses.

notepanel

At the risk of going slightly off topic, and I'm not suggesting anything in relation to this case but...

Nothing annoys me more than when someone has been killed/seriously injured as a pedestrian/cyclist in a collision with a motor vehicle, entirely through their own fault, but then the motorists get the blame.

You never hear of a campaign after an accident to encourage people to open their eyes & look before crossing the road - but there will almost certainly be calls to ban HGVs/reduce speed limits.

andrew1991

Quote from: wbdriver on March 24, 2014, 05:30:50 PM
2095 according to a picture on twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjgUpUIIAAAqwra.jpg:large

the bus has been moved in that picture as the diver stopped it at the crossing

Stu

Quote from: notepanel on March 24, 2014, 06:39:50 PM

At the risk of going slightly off topic, and I'm not suggesting anything in relation to this case but...

Nothing annoys me more than when someone has been killed/seriously injured as a pedestrian/cyclist in a collision with a motor vehicle, entirely through their own fault, but then the motorists get the blame.

You never hear of a campaign after an accident to encourage people to open their eyes & look before crossing the road - but there will almost certainly be calls to ban HGVs/reduce speed limits.

I agree completely. Ironically, there is an advertising campaign going on at present (seen a few on the back of buses) warning motorists "you can't fix a pedestrian at a bodyshop". That is all very well and good, but there is not a lot a motorist can do if a pedestrian blindly walks out into their path without warning!

And same goes for the campaign to reduce speeds to 20mph in certain areas. If pedestrians were more aware of what was going on around them, and used the crossings that have been installed for them (that means pressing the button and waiting patiently for the lights to change!) there would be far fewer pedestrian fatalities and injuries, and there wouldn't be any need to reduce speeds.

I'm speaking my opinion as a pedestrian myself. When I was young, I was taught the 'Green Cross Code' both at school and by my parents. Only cross the road when it is safe to do so. Don't expect motorists to slow down for you. I've never been injured crossing the road, because I have this magical power called 'common-sense'. ;)

Anyway, just expressing my opinions, don't want to hijack this topic any more!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

Apparently the gentleman in question is on life support from what I've just heard on my 226

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Metrorider

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 24, 2014, 06:11:28 PM
Hope the Pensnett driver is ok after the incident after considering the stress of it all.

Indeed, I can't imagine how I would cope if I was ever in that situation. My thoughts go out to everyone involved.
Paul.

andrew1991

I have just heard, the man involved in the accident has sadly passed away. My thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk