News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Getting people to jobs: Oldbury to Longbridge?

Started by Stu, March 15, 2014, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

This isn't a suggestion based on a whim, and it's a route I would probably never use myself, but I thought about it based on how in previous network reviews, suggestions were implemented based on getting people from areas of high unemployment into areas where it would be easier to travel to/from work.

There's a lot of development work going on in the south of Birmingham around the old Longbridge Rover works site (Bournville College, retail stores etc.). People living in and around Oldbury and Sandwell don't have any direct bus link to this part of Birmingham, so why not introduce one?

Let's call it route '26'. It starts from Oldbury Interchange, then heads down the A4034 (4 route) before joining the Wolverhampton Road towards Quinton (126) but then onwards down Wolverhampton Road South. It could then either follow the 24 along Court Oak Road to serve Harborne, then go via War Lane and Northfield Road, or just skip Harborne completely and continue 'express' down the B4121 to California Barnes Hill.
From Barnes Hill, it could divert to serve Weoley Castle square, via Weoley Castle Road and Somerfield Road, or just continue along Shenley Lane. From there, either direct along Bristol Road South to Bournville College, and then onto Longbridge station to terminate, or via Church Hill Road, West Heath Road, Cofton Lane and Longbridge Road to Longbridge Station.

As well as providing a direct bus link from Oldbury/Sandwell to south-west Birmingham, it also links with other arterial routes to/from the city centre, providing numerous interchange links for people looking to get to work who want to avoid having to interchange in the city centre. (much the same as the 1 does in the south of Birmingham, and the 28 in the east of Birmingham)

Come on then, shoot me down in flames!  :D

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Isle of Stroma

You mean there are areas of employment left in this tory ruined country??????

Regardless, I'd hardly cite Longbridge as an employment hotspot these days.

Stu

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on March 15, 2014, 08:28:25 PM
You mean there are areas of employment left in this tory ruined country??????

Regardless, I'd hardly cite Longbridge as an employment hotspot these days.

True, not yet, but I did see there is a lot of development work taking place, so there is potential there.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

Why not another route serving i54 as well? Could number it 554

Run it via the A457/B4517/A4037/B4171/Dudley Bus Station/A459/B4177/A459/A463/A4126/A4123/A4150/WN Bus Stn/A449/Wobaston Road/i54?

And an express to City with premium fares? could number it X87?

Oldbury - A457/A4031/A4182/A4252/M5/M6/A38(M)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk