News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

rail photography.

Started by windy miller, May 12, 2012, 01:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

I once met a well known rail photographer by the name of 'Cam' camwell when I was a member of SLS (stephenson loco Society) we had a meeting room at coventry station which most of us locals would attend once a month. He often gave us a film show of his work which would include a good variety of steam loc's all over britain. He lived in handsworth If I remember correctly, I think he passed away in the 1980's- but I'm sure his memories (and his films) may have been passed down to the next generation. I have many B/w Prints (5x3) from the mid 60's, (ALL of which are my own work) I would be more than happy to share these views on line.( I will need to get them loaded up professionaly to a USB if thats Poss?? 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Roy

Cam Camwell's films are available on a number of DVD's called "The Cam Camwell Collection" and his photos have been published in numerous books.

windy miller

Thanx roy. I have to admit Iv'e not been looking for films to be honest-its good to know there must be an interest in them ! I'm sure I would be on some film taken on the last day of steam when I realised 70013 'oliver cromwell' was passing the FAR side of the station at Entwistle. I ran across all (disused) tracks, and, having scrambled onto the platform I got a good shot of the tender :) :)not one I was proud of.but I have many others.Tony has offered to load some of my best pics, problem is they were not taken with a digital camera! These pics are B/w std 35mm enprints! they would require the use of a scanner then be digitally reproduced. I have only been on line for 18 months  this sort of techno is out of my league ::)

windy miller

Tony. In ref to the list of steam scans on your site-C/o fred Henley? could you tell me if Mr Henley is still alive? or (I suspect)  sadly no longer with us? thanks

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on May 29, 2012, 12:07:10 PM
Tony. In ref to the list of steam scans on your site-C/o fred Henley? could you tell me if Mr Henley is still alive? or (I suspect)  sadly no longer with us? thanks

Fred is still very much alive, and still spotting. At Bescot two or three times a week

windy miller

Thanks tony. Can you pass a message to fred henley for me?-I notice a few locations in his phots (scans I think)- may be a bit 'iffy'-I have an old 4" Square B/w photo of D601 Taken at Cashmores yard NEWPORT in 196??-alongside her sisters? The background doesn't look right for barry island? TBH- looks more like bristol??- another point-can you ask him about a place called 'TOTAN' where he took his class 20 shots?? as you seem reluctant to change it ::)
Also the B1 and the K3 at Bescot? The K3, (61960) I can understand,- probably on its way to Cashmores at Gt bridge?- certainly not driveable as the connecting rods/motion appears to be missing. He does'nt go to stafford as well does he?? if he is who I think he is, then he does'nt care for technology- his grandchildren solve all his probs! :) Thanks

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on May 29, 2012, 05:43:12 PM
Thanks tony. Can you pass a message to fred henley for me?-I notice a few locations in his phots (scans I think)- may be a bit 'iffy'-I have an old 4" Square B/w photo of D601 Taken at Cashmores yard NEWPORT in 196??-alongside her sisters? The background doesn't look right for barry island? TBH- looks more like bristol??- another point-can you ask him about a place called 'TOTAN' where he took his class 20 shots?? as you seem reluctant to change it ::)
Also the B1 and the K3 at Bescot? The K3, (61960) I can understand,- probably on its way to Cashmores at Gt bridge?- certainly not driveable as the connecting rods/motion appears to be missing. He does'nt go to stafford as well does he?? if he is who I think he is, then he does'nt care for technology- his grandchildren solve all his probs! :) Thanks

The B1 is also on it's way to Cashmores, yes I know it looks in far to good a condition, but it is. Fred isn't in to technology, but is not often at Stafford

windy miller

Many thanks for your perseverance with my shot of King 6023. It appears to be balanced perfectly now. Also the inclusion of the Name(s).which I always like to see recorded-please?? I have more shots of Dundee in steam (A2) which have delightfull names- Tudor minstrel, Steady aim, and- (My fav)- Hornets beauty.My previous shot of 60527 may be too big so will send again.keep up the good work!! 8)

Isle of Stroma

D601 survived until 1980, when it was scrapped at Dai's - & thus was the only member of the class that i managed to spot!

(see http://www.wnxx.com/disposals/class41.htm for a similar pic)

windy miller

Nelll. I have had a closer look at my old B/w photo- the two I recorded at Buttegieg-Newport Cashmore appear to be D602 (Bulldog) and D603 (Conquest). I had no idea that D601(Ark Royal) had survived for as long as it did- ::) Ironicly, It was the only one I DIDN'T see!!!! I have a good shot of a 2-10-0 'Crosti boiler' taken on the same day...Anyone remember those? they were fairly common in the leicestershire area in the early sixties. I will pass it on to tony.

windy miller

so- I hear there is to be a 'new' replacement for the locomotive that was returned to canada after being 'dropped' accidentally- back into the hold of the ship from the overhead crane.(127 tons :o :o-) Apparently its going to be numbered 70099- originally built in poland? from a kit supplied by GM. No Idea if its actually in the country yet. lets hope they dont drop it..... :)

Tony

70099 is a demonstrator built in Turkey. It is already registered on TOPS so should be arriving soon. I don't think it is a replacement for the Freightliner one, I think it is one other operators are looking at

windy miller

Sorry, I meant Turkey, not poland. I think plan A was to ship it out to Newport Docks.... But may have changed their minds over that.. Wonder why? :)  apparently its off to Loughbor'o to finish its original tests.. ( WHEN it gets here that is!) 8)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on July 03, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Sorry, I meant Turkey, not poland. I think plan A was to ship it out to Newport Docks.... But may have changed their minds over that.. Wonder why? :)  apparently its off to Loughbor'o to finish its original tests.. ( WHEN it gets here that is!) 8)

Last seen in Germany I believe!

windy miller

I hear the class 70' Ex turkish demonstrator 70099 is en route to...... Newport! :o :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk