News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Scania O/S Mirror

Started by JackC, February 27, 2014, 12:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackC

This may come across as a strange question but hey ho, I'm curious about it. As I'm pretty sure everyone knows, the Scanias have their O/S Mirror down low rather than up top like most (all?) other buses. my question is for anyone who's driven a Scania really. Does having the mirror lower down make it any better or easier to use  than a high mirror?

John

I do like having the mirror lower down. There is no difference between what you can see out of them if you have it adjusted correctly compared to other buses

I find that on the buses with the mirror higher up, like the Enviro400s I was driving yesterday, the high mirror can block your vision of the area to the offside front corner, and you have to crane your neck to look under it

YWDriver

Yep I'm with John on this one, much prefer the mirror lower down. As mentioned it gives you better vision at junctions and roundabouts compared to the likes of the enviros and tridents. Only thing you have to bear in mind is the mirror comes closer to any cars you may be close to on your offside compared to one higher up so a little extra care has to be taken.

Tony

1501-14 also had low mirrors, and I always liked those, specially as they have quite a low driving position as well

Liverpool Street

Up high mirrors for me I'm afraid. Higher the better. The B7RLE's O/S mirror is perfect. Not a fan of the lower mirrors, really. The B7TL ALX400's N/S mirror on the other hand was ridiculously low when the arm was bent down, due to a different position the a Tridents as they [B7TL's/ALX] had larger windscreens.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

mranon

as long as they are adjusted correctly, either or for me. the b7rles have great mirrors except when they fix the o/s arm so close to the body, any short driver loses 1/4 vision due to the radio/switch panel

lynx1103

I prefer small curvy mirrors on Volvo B6/B10L on Stem and not on a mirror arm. Clear perfect view for a mile down the road.

Do not like mirror arms.  Especially when Bus stops are parked to close to road

Stu

I still fondly remember the day I was on an Omnilink coming out of Solihull, which got taken out of service after the N/S mirror got clattered by a low hanging branch on the Warwick Road. The drive pulled over at the Ashleigh Road stop, and radioed for assistance. A 'general call' got put out for other drivers to avoid this branch tree, and we were all asked to get off and join the bus behind. Sadly, when that bus arrived a few minutes later, we couldn't get on it either, as it also had the N/S mirror hanging off after clattering the same branch!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

John

Quote from: lynx1103 on February 27, 2014, 07:36:42 PM

I have had a few knocks off bus stops. Not broken anything, just knocked the mirror out of position

Ex BC driver

When I took my test I found it easier to use the lower mirror for the reversing manoeuvre. When I'm in a Levante I use both, however the lower mirror easily gets dirty because of the spray, salt and dirt on the roads

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on February 28, 2014, 10:05:26 AM

I have had a few knocks off bus stops. Not broken anything, just knocked the mirror out of position

You must still report it as it is a collision. I will be letting your superiors know. /Joking!
Quote from: Ex BC driver on February 28, 2014, 12:30:52 PM
When I took my test I found it easier to use the lower mirror for the reversing manoeuvre. When I'm in a Levante I use both, however the lower mirror easily gets dirty because of the spray, salt and dirt on the roads

Hit a P45 off yet, Chrissy? :)
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Ex BC driver

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 28, 2014, 06:13:41 PM

You must still report it as it is a collision. I will be letting your superiors know. /Joking!

Not yet touch wood

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Ex BC driver on March 01, 2014, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 28, 2014, 06:13:41 PM

Not yet touch wood

Or lampposts in your case haha
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk