News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What should passengers/bus users expect from the driver of their bus?

Started by JoNi, February 01, 2014, 06:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Liberator9 on February 01, 2014, 09:21:51 PM
Probably not as most of the passengers aren't scum; at least during the day. Plus it wouldn't matter even if they did as vandalism costs would go down.

Saying that, alcohol is a factor. Somebody might be nice as pie on the 22 on the way to Broad Street.. on the way back with booze inside of them then they become animals.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Liberator9

That's true about the alcohol; has a dangerous effect on some people and makes you do some pretty stupid things.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 01, 2014, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 01, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 01, 2014, 09:16:45 PM
When the driver says: "Hang on before you all board, I've still passengers getting off." - Please abide by this; don't get half way on then start apologizing to all and sundry!

When the driver says: "Can you please fold the buggy prior to boarding the vehicle." - Please abide by this; don't get half way on then attempt to fold the pushchair with a baby in one hand, phone in the other, shopping on the handles and a fag behind the ear, in the gangway of the bus (Note: Narrowest part of the bus & a lot smaller then the outside!)

And if you do manage to board the bus without paying; don't go upstairs and smoke your quota of drugs and then abuse the driver and other public members if they ask you politely to stop. Everyone has the RIGHT to travel/work without the fear of assault or intimidation.

Unfortunately it does seem the bus is safe haven for druggies to do their stuff without the fear of the Police catching up with them. If I had one wish; No scum to use public transport. Unfortunately, it feels like a large proportion of the public are exactly that.

--

On the other side, as a passenger, I expect the driver to wait for frail/blind passengers to get to a seat. And also the go slowly around tight corners, and no excessively sharp braking. I could not care less if the driver smiles at me, or talks to me, or says thanks to me, or is even on time, just don't bruise your passengers.

--

Now anyone want to argue that I'm biased? Trust me; I've been full circle. And Richie/Karl, I'm looking at you ;)

Wouldn't the bus companies loose a hell of a lot of money if scum weren't allowed to use the bus?

How'd you figure? They don't pay anyway!

depends on your definition of Scum, to me its anyone who mistreats the bus &/or its driver, the people who get on and put there money in the box and then think they own the bus. Playing loud music, feet on the seats, eating food and dropping the packaging on the floor. The list is endless, just because they pay there fare doesn't mean they can't be classed as a scum!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

YWDriver

I always do my best to say hello/thanks to everyone that gets on my bus. As LS said, getting everyone to their destination safe and sound is the name of the game. All I want from passengers is to be polite and pay the correct fare. And if your waiting at a stop, get your pass/change ready before the bus pulls up and you fumble around in your bag in the doorway of the bus trying to find it  :)

Liberator9

Quote from: YWDriver on February 01, 2014, 09:37:11 PM
I always do my best to say hello/thanks to everyone that gets on my bus. As LS said, getting everyone to their destination safe and sound is the name of the game. All I want from passengers is to be polite and pay the correct fare. And if your waiting at a stop, get your pass/change ready before the bus pulls up and you fumble around in your bag in the doorway of the bus trying to find it  :)

What routes do you work YW driver please?; are drivers signed onto one route or multiple routes? Just wondering as rarely see the same drivers on the 76 and just wondered if drivers who work on the 76 work on other routes as well?

YWDriver

Rotas at YW are:

Warstock - 2/3
Hall green - 6
Bartley green - 18
Pool farm - 27/35
Kings norton - 49/76
Maypole - 50
84 is stand alone

So generally drivers who drive the 76 will also do the 49 as well. I'm on a new starter rota which is a cross of the Maypole (50) and Hall Green (6) but I get the odd day on the other routes as well. Plus with overtime you can request any route you like so the choice is there. The KN is one of the more sought after rotas in the garage.

Liberator9

domino.99

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 01, 2014, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 01, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 01, 2014, 09:16:45 PM
When the driver says: "Hang on before you all board, I've still passengers getting off." - Please abide by this; don't get half way on then start apologizing to all and sundry!

When the driver says: "Can you please fold the buggy prior to boarding the vehicle." - Please abide by this; don't get half way on then attempt to fold the pushchair with a baby in one hand, phone in the other, shopping on the handles and a fag behind the ear, in the gangway of the bus (Note: Narrowest part of the bus & a lot smaller then the outside!)

And if you do manage to board the bus without paying; don't go upstairs and smoke your quota of drugs and then abuse the driver and other public members if they ask you politely to stop. Everyone has the RIGHT to travel/work without the fear of assault or intimidation.

Unfortunately it does seem the bus is safe haven for druggies to do their stuff without the fear of the Police catching up with them. If I had one wish; No scum to use public transport. Unfortunately, it feels like a large proportion of the public are exactly that.

--

On the other side, as a passenger, I expect the driver to wait for frail/blind passengers to get to a seat. And also the go slowly around tight corners, and no excessively sharp braking. I could not care less if the driver smiles at me, or talks to me, or says thanks to me, or is even on time, just don't bruise your passengers.

--

Now anyone want to argue that I'm biased? Trust me; I've been full circle. And Richie/Karl, I'm looking at you ;)

Wouldn't the bus companies loose a hell of a lot of money if scum weren't allowed to use the bus?

How'd you figure? They don't pay anyway!

To be completley honest i think it's slightly unfair to label people 'scum' before you start, i dont agree with people smoking on buses as i'm asthmatic myself but you can't label them scum just very irresponsible teenagers but i wouldn't go as far as calling them scum.

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 01, 2014, 09:24:33 PM
Probably not as most of the passengers aren't scum; at least during the day. Plus it wouldn't matter even if they did as vandalism costs would go down.

Saying that, alcohol is a factor. Somebody might be nice as pie on the 22 on the way to Broad Street.. on the way back with booze inside of them then they become animals.

I hope that's not a pop at me LS!  ;)
My only problem when fuelled by alcohol on buses is falling asleep and waking up in Kitwell or Woodgate. Although last time it happened Phil Upton kindly woke me up when we got to the Stonehouse.

winston

Quote from: Mike K on February 02, 2014, 09:52:34 AM

My only problem when fuelled by alcohol on buses is falling asleep and waking up in Kitwell or Woodgate. Although last time it happened Phil Upton kindly woke me up when we got to the Stonehouse.

Mike K,

It's a good job you woke up at Kitwell or Woodgate, you could have spent the night in QN otherwise....

vinh1000

Quote from: YWDriver on February 01, 2014, 11:20:06 PM
Rotas at YW are:

Warstock - 2/3
Hall green - 6
Bartley green - 18
Pool farm - 27/35
Kings norton - 49/76
Maypole - 50
84 is stand alone

So generally drivers who drive the 76 will also do the 49 as well. I'm on a new starter rota which is a cross of the Maypole (50) and Hall Green (6) but I get the odd day on the other routes as well. Plus with overtime you can request any route you like so the choice is there. The KN is one of the more sought after rotas in the garage.

The 84 has the nicest 2 drivers ever ( I believe they usually operate this rota both of them every day - not sure if I can mention names ?)

Westy

Did he mention his kids?

Mike K

Quote from: Winston on February 02, 2014, 11:24:10 AM

Mike K,

It's a good job you woke up at Kitwell or Woodgate, you could have spent the night in QN otherwise....

Believe me Winston, I've woken up in Quinton garage too in the past after a night on the pop! It's an occupational hazard

karl724223

Maybe a lot of people on here would change there tune if they were drivers

YWDriver

Quote from: karl724223 on February 02, 2014, 02:52:39 PM
Maybe a lot of people on here would change there tune if they were drivers

I think you could be right with that one  ;)

Quote from: vinh1000 on February 02, 2014, 11:43:36 AM
The 84 has the nicest 2 drivers ever ( I believe they usually operate this rota both of them every day - not sure if I can mention names ?)

The rota is just the two of them with other drivers covering during their holidays. And they are indeed both very nice guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk