News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva Leicester

Started by Tony, January 28, 2014, 08:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magikrabby

Quote from: Mayfield on June 23, 2024, 08:11:57 PMSee they managed to get the second to oldest bus 4760 on the 48 today while all the nice shiny green buses have a rest, as opposed to First who only used greens today.
The DB250s are very rarely used on Sundays, even before the Electroliners arrived. I wonder why one was used today - there must be a reason!

Mayfield

Perhaps it was an enthusiasts farewell day but they forgot to tell anyone 

joieman

Quote from: Mayfield on June 23, 2024, 08:11:57 PMSee they managed to get the second to oldest bus 4760 on the 48 today while all the nice shiny green buses have a rest, as opposed to First who only used greens today.
Second to oldest? I thought 4760 was the oldest.

4761 is tracking on the 127 today.

Glenfieldmathk1

Yes, I was surprised Arriva had a lot of older vehicles on routes on Sunday. I would have thought the bus of choice for Sunday would be the electric ones?

joieman

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 24, 2024, 06:53:36 PMYes, I was surprised Arriva had a lot of older vehicles on routes on Sunday. I would have thought the bus of choice for Sunday would be the electric ones?
I'm surprised they don't use them more, otherwise a Sunday allocation could have been largely limited to electric buses with some 72-plates and other single deckers where appropriate.

Mayfield

Apart from 3 vehicles every other one has been used in the last couple of days, I would say that's exceptional availability 

joieman

3801 has been destroyed by fire in Barwell.

Mayfield

Looks like it had been on the TZ2 to Twycross Zoo, possibly on the way back to Barwell depot

AlexS

Quote from: Mayfield on July 30, 2024, 04:40:57 PMLooks like it had been on the TZ2 to Twycross Zoo, possibly on the way back to Barwell depot
The vehicle from the TZ2 typically goes straight into Leicester in order to operate the TZ1 without going anywhere near the depot. With this in mind it would suggest that there was already a known fault with the vehicle but that it was incorrectly decided that it would be safe to drive the vehicle out of service back to the depot.
With this in mind I would assume there will be a full external investigation from the transport commissioner as to whether Arriva management have recklessly put a member of staff and other road users at risk of serious injury in order to save a few quid on a tow truck and that whether the current policies and procedures are adequate at minimising the risks to the public.

Stu

Quote from: AlexS on July 30, 2024, 10:20:58 PMThe vehicle from the TZ2 typically goes straight into Leicester in order to operate the TZ1 without going anywhere near the depot. With this in mind it would suggest that there was already a known fault with the vehicle but that it was incorrectly decided that it would be safe to drive the vehicle out of service back to the depot.
With this in mind I would assume there will be a full external investigation from the transport commissioner as to whether Arriva management have recklessly put a member of staff and other road users at risk of serious injury in order to save a few quid on a tow truck and that whether the current policies and procedures are adequate at minimising the risks to the public.
Do you know what happened to cause the fire to start then?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

AlexS

Quote from: Stu on July 31, 2024, 07:11:07 AMDo you know what happened to cause the fire to start then?

An investigation does imply blame or fault.
The relatively unusual circumstances prior to the fire in which the vehicle had been unexpectedly withdrawn from service but allowed to return to the depot under its own steam simply means that there are a few more questions to be answered than the freak event in service fires that (whilst rare) are the more regular occurrence.
If it was found that the fire was unrelated to the reason for the vehicle being removed from service the public would be reassured that their safety is being taken seriously and if any other outcome was found the necessary steps could be put in place to avoid a reoccurrence.

Mayfield

Quote from: AlexS on July 30, 2024, 10:20:58 PMThe vehicle from the TZ2 typically goes straight into Leicester in order to operate the TZ1 without going anywhere near the depot. With this in mind it would suggest that there was already a known fault with the vehicle but that it was incorrectly decided that it would be safe to drive the vehicle out of service back to the depot.
Wow that's a big assumption 

Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer

Quote from: Stu on July 31, 2024, 07:11:07 AMDo you know what happened to cause the fire to start then?

Ironicly it was on the X6 the day before and I was driving the NX X30 in Coventry behind it and it completely dropped its coolant. I took all the passengers so they could get to where they wanted to go but some sitting towards the back on it were covered in black Ash. I'd imagine that has something to do with it

Mayfield

In that case this sounds like poor maintenance and needs a full investigation by authorities 

ellspurs

I am guessing the Leicester garage runs the 8 service.

When I was driving up the a5 this afternoon (about 15:40) an Arriva optare Solo (or that shape anyway) passed me, with just the number '8' on the display with no destination or other information. I guess it was a recently transferred bus?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk