News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Arriva Leicester

Started by Tony, January 28, 2014, 08:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Quote from: Mayfield on May 18, 2024, 09:12:18 PMAren't the electrics capable of doing a full days work, if so what is the point in buying them and if they can why aren't they ?
They are capable , not sure why arriva don't use them for the whole day. First use theirs until the end of the day. 

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on May 18, 2024, 09:12:18 PMAren't the electrics capable of doing a full days work, if so what is the point in buying them and if they can why aren't they ?
You buy them because they are extremely reliable and much cheaper to operate.
When you use them you may need to change running boards to match their capabilities, but that is easy enough to do.

joieman

Quote from: Mayfield on May 18, 2024, 04:49:29 PMNot rocket science is it, 158 requires 3 buses, 3 buses in Sapphire 158 branding, transfer them to Hinckley then.

Quote from: Mayfield on May 18, 2024, 02:54:39 PMAbsolutely no excuse whatsoever as they triumphed them to be for the 47/48 50/51 anyone bothered to tell the scheduler, same as the 3 Sapphire's (pointless brand)branded for the 158 are never on the 158, why do bus companies brand buses then not use them on the dedicated routes
I think the 158 requires six buses now, but formerly nine. Rather ironic, though, that the surplus buses are the ones that still haven't been repainted, and the rumours that swirled around about them going south never seem to have actualised.
I think that eventually the electrics will go across the whole network just like the 72-plates (which routes were the 72-plates originally intended for again?)
Sapphire is quite dead around here, seems to have been ditched across the Midlands at large. The only time a route becomes a Sapphire route is if it has a low PVR and a handful of Sapphire buses happen to be put on it on the same day. For instance, the Sapphire 16!

Magikrabby

The last few Saturdays have seen 2 electrics working the 31/A, whilst maintaining a full electric output on 47/48/50/51, because there are 2 additional spares - might as well use them on other routes! 

The day started with a full output of electrics, with some replaced with diesels later in the day (we have no idea why), and it seems completely unnecessary to move one from the 31. It's not like a DB250 was shoved back on the routes - they were subbed with 72 plates, so as an anomaly I don't see the issue.

With regards to the pulsars, Arriva seem to not like painting buses much older than 10 years unless it's necessary. I don't understand why they don't just pull the 158 vinyls off though, leaving them as unbranded sapphires. That's exactly what Aylesbury did with the 280 branded E400s

joieman

Quote from: Magikrabby on May 19, 2024, 11:17:07 AMWith regards to the pulsars, Arriva seem to not like painting buses much older than 10 years unless it's necessary. I don't understand why they don't just pull the 158 vinyls off though, leaving them as unbranded sapphires. That's exactly what Aylesbury did with the 280 branded E400s
What's even more puzzling is why it was the three surplus buses that haven't had anything done to them.

Magikrabby

Quote from: joieman on May 19, 2024, 11:40:01 AMWhat's even more puzzling is why it was the three surplus buses that haven't had anything done to them.
I think the answer as to why is pretty obvious - they are at Thurmaston! The ones that had branding removed and were repainted are Hinckley's, who seem care more about presentation of their buses. Not that that's an excuse! xD

joieman

Quote from: Magikrabby on May 20, 2024, 02:47:09 PMI think the answer as to why is pretty obvious - they are at Thurmaston! The ones that had branding removed and were repainted are Hinckley's, who seem care more about presentation of their buses. Not that that's an excuse! xD
You do have a point, as the last two services that did have route-branded buses, the X6 and 158, were both Hinckley services.

Toby

Quote from: Mayfield on May 18, 2024, 02:54:39 PMAbsolutely no excuse whatsoever as they triumphed them to be for the 47/48 50/51 anyone bothered to tell the scheduler, same as the 3 Sapphire's (pointless brand)branded for the 158 are never on the 158, why do bus companies brand buses then not use them on the dedicated routes

I have asked for the 158 branding to be removed from the three Pulsars which have transferred to Thurmaston. As others have noted, Hinckley depot operate the 158 and the allocated fleet have recently been through the repaint programme.

I would be interested to know how "bothering to tell the scheduler" would influence on the day allocation during run out, but should a vacancy arise in my team perhaps you could tell me at interview.

Toby

Quote from: Franco on May 18, 2024, 09:30:15 PMThey are capable , not sure why arriva don't use them for the whole day. First use theirs until the end of the day.
The range of the EVs is less than that of an equivalent diesel vehicle, and is influenced by both terrain and average speed. There will be some work later in the year to benchmark this on different routes, particularly 5/5A and 127, to help refine future planning assumptions.

Generally we run later into the evening than First, with our late duties booked to use SDs rather than DDs for various reasons. This is unrelated to the EV rollout, those boards returning to the depot at the same time regardless of whether they're diesel or electric.

joieman

I also forgot to mention that 3119 still carries branding on the offside for the Milton Keynes 5/6, which is usually concealed by an advertisement but reappears every now and again, such as when I last spotted it (in Coalville last month).
Some of the other MMCs also have branding on the ceiling inside for the Harlow to Stansted 508/9/10. And I wonder what the folks down south will do about 4102's internal branding for Yorkshire.

RobertJ21a

Quote from: joieman on May 21, 2024, 09:42:39 PMI also forgot to mention that 3119 still carries branding on the offside for the Milton Keynes 5/6, which is usually concealed by an advertisement but reappears every now and again, such as when I last spotted it (in Coalville last month).
Some of the other MMCs also have branding on the ceiling inside for the Harlow to Stansted 508/9/10. And I wonder what the folks down south will do about 4102's internal branding for Yorkshire.
Do you seriously believe that passengers in other areas are concerned by (or even interested in) any posters etc from other areas ?
Most passengers won't have a clue as to whether the bus also covers that area - and many people have little geographical knowledge anyway.

joieman

Quote from: RobertJ21a on May 22, 2024, 07:02:10 AMDo you seriously believe that passengers in other areas are concerned by (or even interested in) any posters etc from other areas ?
Most passengers won't have a clue as to whether the bus also covers that area - and many people have little geographical knowledge anyway.
I suppose not, although regarding the first example, Leicester also has services 5 and 6, so I think there is a potential for confusion, although 3119's branding is only on the offside and often covered up.
But I think this is more about presentation, generally speaking. Obvious leftover branding is a bit of a giveaway that the bus is second-hand, and that the company doesn't pay (enough) attention to the presentation of their vehicles and, by extension, their service.

Mayfield

Quote from: Toby on May 21, 2024, 09:15:52 PMI have asked for the 158 branding to be removed from the three Pulsars which have transferred to Thurmaston. As others have noted, Hinckley depot operate the 158 and the allocated fleet have recently been through the repaint programme.

I would be interested to know how "bothering to tell the scheduler" would influence on the day allocation during run out, but should a vacancy arise in my team perhaps you could tell me at interview.
Shouldn't really be actioned after people on a forum discuss it, it should be actioned by the depot if they really care about presentation, and if a job becomes available don't bother contacting me.

Mayfield

Quote from: joieman on May 22, 2024, 07:22:09 AMI suppose not, althoug regarding the first example, Leicester also has services 5 and 6, so I think there is a potential for confusion, although 3119's branding is only on the offside and often covered up.
But I think this is more about presentation, generally speaking. Obvious leftover branding is a bit of a giveaway that the bus is second-hand, and that the company doesn't pay (enough) attention to the presentation of their vehicles and, by extension, their service.
I fully agree with the above comments 

Toby

Quote from: Mayfield on May 22, 2024, 12:40:11 PMShouldn't really be actioned after people on a forum discuss it, it should be actioned by the depot if they really care about presentation, and if a job becomes available don't bother contacting me.
Be under no illusion, my request for the obsolete branding to be removed is nothing to do with you and predates your comments in this forum.

I have no intention of contacting you either 😂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk