News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

VOSA inspections

Started by uniquicity, January 21, 2014, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniquicity

There was a VOSA vehicle inspection van in West Bromwich Bus Station this afternoon.

4530 was being checked over while I was there.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: uniquicity on January 21, 2014, 05:27:38 PM
There was a VOSA vehicle inspection van in West Bromwich Bus Station this afternoon.

4530 was being checked over while I was there.

well i suppose they have the power to turn up where they please and inspect any buses they desire. VIP found that out!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

uniquicity

I was wondering if they were waiting for the yellow and grey single decks to turn up...

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: uniquicity on January 21, 2014, 06:13:34 PM
I was wondering if they were waiting for the yellow and grey single decks to turn up...

quite possible, and just inspected a couple of NE buses to make it a little less obvious!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

BN

WN had good results again.

Steveminor

I doubt they were specifically looking for one particular operator as it would be illegal for them to target someone in that way. More than likely they were just scheduled to do inspections there between certain times

andyr

Not illegal at all. VOSA have a traffic light system for oprerators..green light no problems, amber some issues and red light you will be checked..VOSA cars have ANPR and that gives officers the information they require..

the trainbasher

They were in Stourbridge yesterday I believe

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Steveminor

I know about the traffic light system but that applies to depot visits not on road stop checks.
The depot visits should also be announced at least 48 hours in advance.
So when operators get called in to P I they have absolutely no excuse for poor maintenance, after all they had 3 chances & were given 48 hours notice to get things right & still couldn't

andyr

The traffic light system is aimed specifically for road side check s and VOSA can walk in to any operators depot without prior notice.

nx4737

Quote from: Steveminor on January 24, 2014, 06:02:07 AM
I know about the traffic light system but that applies to depot visits not on road stop checks.
So when operators get called in to P I they have absolutely no excuse for poor maintenance, after all they had 3 chances & were given 48 hours notice to get things right & still couldn't

That's ridiculous, why give them any warning?  If there fleet is a mess like so many WM independents, surly it's better to catch them red handed instead of knowing an inspection is coming, giving them chance to plaster over the cracks so to speak...

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: nx4737 on January 24, 2014, 04:54:03 PM
Quote from: Steveminor on January 24, 2014, 06:02:07 AM

That's ridiculous, why give them any warning?  If there fleet is a mess like so many WM independents, surly it's better to catch them red handed instead of knowing an inspection is coming, giving them chance to plaster over the cracks so to speak...

Exactly, if an operator couldn't care less about maintenance, why give them the oppurtunity to tidy everything up and to make it look like they are on top of the work, they should just turn up and catch them off guard and see what is really going on, whether it be the small independent firm or National Express.

Steveminor

Remember the traffic Commisioner doesn't want to put an operator off the road unless absolutely necessary, as this would lead to job losses for innocent people. Therefore operators get every opportunity to put things right. If they still can't do it even when they have been warned in advance then that's when they get taken off the road..

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Steveminor on January 25, 2014, 09:45:31 AM
Remember the traffic Commisioner doesn't want to put an operator off the road unless absolutely necessary, as this would lead to job losses for innocent people. Therefore operators get every opportunity to put things right. If they still can't do it even when they have been warned in advance then that's when they get taken off the road..

of course nobody wants to see anyone loose a job, but also we don't want badly maintained buses on the road that cause injury or death to people.

If VOSA inform a bus company they are going to visit, they will scramble round putting everything right they can, then the second VOSA leaves, they will go back to there old ways, knowing they don't need to worry because they will be given notification when VOSA are going to visit again.

Steveminor

But in reality that doesn't happen as we we'll know from the number of companies that keep appearing at P.I. for poor maintenance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk