News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Any chance of "ibus" being rolled out to more NXWM buses?

Started by :D, November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

I don't know the official name for Birmingham's iBus system.

I rarely travel to the west of Birmingham but I've been the bus once and I found it really useful. I was wondering why it hasn't rolled out across the NXWM network?

Also, what happens if the hybrid buses is used on other routes other than 22/23? Does ibus system get turned off or does it work because it has other routes programmed in?

Completely unrelated question, is it me or does the bus drivers actually drive faster in evenings rather than daytime?

trident4370

I sincerely hope not! However sadly I think it is only a matter of time, there are a few buses with speakers already installed just "waiting" to be used :(

nitromatt1

Quote from: :D on November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

I rarely travel to the west of Birmingham but I've been the bus once and I found it really useful. I was wondering why it hasn't rolled out across the NXWM network?

Also, what happens if the hybrid buses is used on other routes other than 22/23? Does ibus system get turned off or does it work because it has other routes programmed in?

Completely unrelated question, is it me or does the bus drivers actually drive faster in evenings rather than daytime?

The system is turned off and a picture of the bus is displayed. BC's Hybrids only work on the 22/23, WN's Hybrids only work on the 1 and PN's Enviro200s only work on the 222. If they end up on any other route they go silent thankfully.

Yes you usually get faster driving in the evening, mostly due to ridiculous running times on many routes.

CL

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 26, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
Quote from: :D on November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

The system is turned off and a picture of the bus is displayed. BC's Hybrids only work on the 22/23, WN's Hybrids only work on the 1 and PN's Enviro200s only work on the 222. If they end up on any other route they go silent thankfully.

Yes you usually get faster driving in the evening, mostly due to ridiculous running times on many routes.

I quite like them... 22/23 is the only service i've ever experienced this with. It's not very loud, so its alright. Especially with the road names on the screen. So to say if a tourist got onto one of our buses, it'll be easier for the screen to SHOW them, instead of bothering the driver to open the cab door to tell them where and when they need to get off.  ;D Don't get me wrong, the picture of the bus looks nice, but once the 22/23 has the system on standby, it cycles through some other pictures...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Stuharris 6360

Yes i like the Birmingham announcements, Phil Upton has a natural voice for them, however the WN & PE announcements gets on my nerves.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 27, 2013, 08:49:50 PM
Yes i like the Birmingham announcements, Phil Upton has a natural voice for them, however the WN & PE announcements gets on my nerves.

I hold a preference to the opposite. Phil Uptons voice really annoys me...Its as bad as that 8 year old kid NCT have on theirs

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

nitromatt1

I think that on the screen, rather than showing just the next stop, it should show the next stop and the 3 or so stops after underneath, then every time a stop is passed, it moves down by one.

This would be more useful, as people know in advance that their stop is coming up, since the current system does not give much warning time!

E.g.

Halesowen Bus Station
Queensway, Pool Road
Grange Road, Woodman Close
Manor Way, Sports Ground

then after leaving the bus station

Queensway, Pool Road
Manor Way, Sports Ground
Manor Way, Cloister Drive

then after passing "Queensway, Pool Road"

Manor Way, Sports Ground
Manor Way, Cloister Drive
Manor Lane, Lapal Lane

et cetera.

Stuharris 6360

I find that the London ibus system annoying, when you are on the bus, swipped your oyster card and the bus begins to move, then it announces your on the 8 to Bow Church, not much point in announcing it, as if your on the wrong bus, you have to wait for the next to get off!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 27, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
I find that the London ibus system annoying, when you are on the bus, swipped your oyster card and the bus begins to move, then it announces your on the 8 to Bow Church, not much point in announcing it, as if your on the wrong bus, you have to wait for the next to get off!

I can't think of a better way of doing it, the only way of informing people after they've boarded the bus would be for the driver to manually press a button triggering the announcement a few seconds before he pulls off, wouldn't that get tedious for the driver...

At least if a passenger realises they're on the wrong bus, they can then get off next stop and walk back to the previous stop if necessary

CL

I'm sure they sometimes announce it during boarding, or is it just me?  ??? Anyway, it should've been sudden realisation if you're on the wrong bus, surely.  ::)

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

nitromatt1

Quote from: clayderman on November 27, 2013, 09:06:30 PM

I'm sure they sometimes announce it during boarding, or is it just me?  ???

If you think about it, there would need to be some kind of trigger for the announcements, if the trigger is the doors opening, then the passengers wouldn't hear it as most would have not yet boarded the bus, especially if it's a busy stop. A time delay after the doors opening would not work either, as the time varies with each stop. If the doors closing triggered the announcement, well that would be too late!

Lukeee

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 27, 2013, 09:09:24 PM

If you think about it, there would need to be some kind of trigger for the announcements, if the trigger is the doors opening, then the passengers wouldn't hear it as most would have not yet boarded the bus, especially if it's a busy stop. A time delay after the doors opening would not work either, as the time varies with each stop. If the doors closing triggered the announcement, well that would be too late!

Alternatively, they could maybe put a big destination display on the front and side of the bus saying where it goes along with the route number, seems like it would work  ;)

nitromatt1

Quote from: Lukeee on November 27, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Alternatively, they could maybe put a big destination display on the front and side of the bus saying where it goes along with the route number, seems like it would work  ;)

I was thinking more about the issues for the visually impaired.

Or the "I've never used the bus before, what do I do" type

CL

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 27, 2013, 09:30:35 PM
Quote from: Lukeee on November 27, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

I was thinking more about the issues for the visually impaired.

Or the "I've never used the bus before, what do I do" type

Oh, the irony of us bus enthusiasts...

trident4370

Anyone who thinks Phil Uptons voice is a good choice wants a bloody hearing test, it drove me mad on the 56A to the extend I'd start changing in Kingstanding for a 934/33...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk