News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

transport policy

Started by windy miller, November 24, 2013, 03:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2013, 09:20:07 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 24, 2013, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: dannygill on November 24, 2013, 08:24:56 PM
I don't think giving nx swift will ever happen. nx already has been referred to competitions people about its travelcards

Swift is live on NXBirmingham & Black Country now don't you know.

Still not 100% what/how Swift will work here, with the abundance of fares still available.

Not yet live in Birmingham on NX, only passes currently available are Black Country or Coventry ones

They kept that quiet, for the Black Country.

I thought, as far as I was concerned, I could only use it on Diamond, so I haven't bothered yet!

(Then again, once my lift moves house, I'll be back to the bus full time to & from work!)

windy miller

Many thanks to Stu for posting the centro press release.... I was about to use the old adage  "says it all.... unfortunately, No it doesn't...The idea that concessionary pass holders should be kept OFF trains and trams is ridiculous..   Since when do us old'uns have any (digital) acknowledgement when we travel by train/tram?....Unlike the BUS pass/card readers there is NO equivalent card reader on either the tram OR the train..at least none that I'm aware of.?  SO where do they get their "Guesstimates" as to how many concession holders are actually using the tram/train circuits? ..one other point..I was not aware of an add-on concession after 11.pm...I think The Idea was to provide a free travel service for the minority of 'Shelfies' who work for local supermarkets between midnight and 8am.  If their concession were to be removed they may be contributing almost an hours pay in bus fares...  >:(
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on November 25, 2013, 01:13:55 AM
Many thanks to Stu for posting the centro press release.... I was about to use the old adage  "says it all.... unfortunately, No it doesn't...The idea that concessionary pass holders should be kept OFF trains and trams is ridiculous..   Since when do us old'uns have any (digital) acknowledgement when we travel by train/tram?....Unlike the BUS pass/card readers there is NO equivalent card reader on either the tram OR the train..at least none that I'm aware of.?  SO where do they get their "Guesstimates" as to how many concession holders are actually using the tram/train circuits? ..one other point..I was not aware of an add-on concession after 11.pm...I think The Idea was to provide a free travel service for the minority of 'Shelfies' who work for local supermarkets between midnight and 8am.  If their concession were to be removed they may be contributing almost an hours pay in bus fares...  >:(

The conductors on the tram do record all the use of concessionary cards.

Yes the National scheme does finish at 23:00 and Centro put the 'end of service' rules on themselves

Liverpool Street

So is it live in Birmingham then?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 28, 2013, 09:19:20 PM

Swift is live for all types of Direct Debits, NX & nBus

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on November 29, 2013, 10:23:19 AM

This is probably a daft question, but does Swift work by scanning the pass on the same reader as concessionary passes?

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 29, 2013, 11:51:39 AM

This is probably a daft question, but does Swift work by scanning the pass on the same reader as concessionary passes?

Yes, same scanner reads them, checks there validity, and the drivers screen confirms whether it is valid, as long as he is in the correct fare stage.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on November 29, 2013, 12:00:12 PM

Yes, same scanner reads them, checks there validity, and the drivers screen confirms whether it is valid, as long as he is in the correct fare stage.

Does it tell the driver if its a regional pass, ie: only valid in the Black Country, otherwise how does the driver know if the person is not travelling beyond its validity, also do the ticket inspectors have a machine to read the cards?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nitromatt1

This is an excellent scheme. It will make drivers' jobs a lot easier, although it won't really prevent situations like a passenger refusing to pay. I do hope paper tickets/travelcards get eradicated soon though.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 29, 2013, 01:49:22 PM

This is an excellent scheme. It will make drivers' jobs a lot easier, although it won't really prevent situations like a passenger refusing to pay. I do hope paper tickets/travelcards get eradicated soon though.

Well London have been consulting on whether London Buses should become cashless, if it happens, you can see that it wouldn't be to long before it spreads around the country.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 29, 2013, 01:55:18 PM

Well London have been consulting on whether London Buses should become cashless, if it happens, you can see that it wouldn't be to long before it spreads around the country.

Not just cashless, London are now looking at ending PAYG oyster, just as the West Midlands are looking at introducing the similar Swift

Dylan4579

Quote from: Tony on November 29, 2013, 02:08:55 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 29, 2013, 01:55:18 PM

Not just cashless, London are now looking at ending PAYG oyster, just as the West Midlands are looking at introducing the similar Swift
That's one step too far

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk