News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

transport policy

Started by windy miller, November 24, 2013, 03:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
I'll be honest, seeing the opinions "tram extension is pointless" and "the city is left behind other cities" coming from the same person is a bit rich...

I must be the only person who thinks Birmingham (and the West Midlands in general) is ideal for a large tram network like Manchester's, don't forget they were in the same boat at one point, it's just that they stuck with it and pushed on to the network that it is now with even more scope to go further, whereas here in Birmingham the plans for whatever reason keep getting scaled back to the point where we're only now extending it half a mile.

How figure?

If they were building a complete new Metro line then I'd agree, but all the disruption & cost is for a 0.8 of mile extension in the City Centre that will benefit only a few. Where is all the money going to come from for this network of tram routes that Centro would like to introduce. I think Centro have missed the boat in terms of introducing a network of Midland Metro routes, many of their proposals never got off the drawing board. They're still no closer to getting the go-ahead on the proposed Wednesbury - Merry Hill Metro extension   

Sh4318

I'll be honest, seeing the opinions "tram extension is pointless" and "the city is left behind other cities" coming from the same person is a bit rich...

I must be the only person who thinks Birmingham (and the West Midlands in general) is ideal for a large tram network like Manchester's, don't forget they were in the same boat at one point, it's just that they stuck with it and pushed on to the network that it is now with even more scope to go further, whereas here in Birmingham the plans for whatever reason keep getting scaled back to the point where we're only now extending it half a mile.

It's just annoying that all the buses had to be rerouted and Corporation Street had to be closed in order for it to be done. Corporation Street was an adequate termination point for all routes, in my opinion.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 24, 2013, 07:49:45 PM

It's just annoying that all the buses had to be rerouted and Corporation Street had to be closed in order for it to be done. Corporation Street was an adequate termination point for all routes, in my opinion.

That was one of my points, the buses in Birmingham City Centre shift far greater numbers of people than that Metro extension ever will

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 24, 2013, 07:49:45 PM

Precisely. I'd say you get more bus-related congestion now then you did with Corp. St.

In all honesty what they've done with that tram is a total f' up. Yes redo New Street and have pedestrianisation on certain streets but to sever the city like they've done for a poxy tram which isn't required is just an amateur mistake.

In my opinion I kind of agree with what is said in other posts regarding the Network WM / Centro etc people are against buses, in the generalist form.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Dylan4579

Didn't Manchester get rid of their local train lines for their tram lines?? The ones that we in briimgham still have?

andy

Quote from: Dylan4579 on November 24, 2013, 07:59:06 PM

Didn't Manchester get rid of their local train lines for their tram lines?? The ones that we in briimgham still have?

Very good point, most of the lines are ex rail.

I agree with all the above posters.

Kevin, nobody is saying that trams have no value, quite the opposite. What we are saying is that the extension should not have been built while there is still doubt over the future of the plans for a network, which to me look about as far away as they have ever been. Without a network of routes, this extension and new interchange serve no purpose whatsoever and in the process they have decemated the city's bus interchanges, rendering them unattractive and inconvenient to passengers and creating new traffic bottlenecks.

bwsau cymru

I don't think giving nx swift will ever happen. nx already has been referred to competitions people about its travelcards
campaigning for better transport for all

the trainbasher

Quote from: dannygill on November 24, 2013, 08:24:56 PM
I don't think giving nx swift will ever happen. nx already has been referred to competitions people about its travelcards

Or get the local councils to administer it...and nBus at the same time (And prehaps tendering of routes?)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Swift is live on NXBirmingham & Black Country now don't you know.

Still not 100% what/how Swift will work here, with the abundance of fares still available.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

Really its like which lunatic should run the asylum!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Kevin

Quote from: Dylan4579 on November 24, 2013, 07:59:06 PM

Lines which are now used more than when they were as trains....
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 24, 2013, 08:28:50 PM

Still not 100% what/how Swift will work here, with the abundance of fares still available.

Not yet live in Birmingham on NX, only passes currently available are Black Country or Coventry ones

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2013, 09:20:07 PM

Not yet live in Birmingham on NX, only passes currently available are Black Country or Coventry ones

Are Daytrippers & Daysavers likely to be available to use on Swift in the near future.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2013, 09:20:07 PM

It is I'm sure? I was travelling on a bus the other day and CRC did a general call saying "Swift Smart cards are now live and valid on all B'ham & Black Country services. If you need advice speak to your Traffic Controller" - or words to that effect.
until it cought fire

Stevo

While I agree the tram extension is expensive and has made bus services less convenient, it's not really quite as expensive as made out as the cost includes a full new fleet of trams which are for the whole route, not just the extension. I envy Manchester with their trams but I think our bus system is better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk