News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

VERY Late running services

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetline6477

Quote from: Jack on February 05, 2019, 05:22:57 PM
Nothing is wrong with bus driving at 19, but isn't the age to drive a bus and hold a PCV license 20 or 21?

A number of years ago a local uniformed organisation group that I was involved with applied to their local community transport group for a 23 year old leader to have a licence to drive their 16 seater minibuses to take young people to weekend camps twice a year. His applicaton was turned down because he was under 25. We would have found it easier to understand and accept the decision had the leader not been driving double decker buses around Wolverhampton for 3 years!

My personal view is that drivers should have had a clean driving licence for at least 2 years before they can apply for a PCV or HGV licence. I think 18 is too young but there is no need to wait until somebody is 25 to be able to drive a minibus.

Tony

Quote from: fleetline6477 on February 05, 2019, 07:23:58 PM
A number of years ago a local uniformed organisation group that I was involved with applied to their local community transport group for a 23 year old leader to have a licence to drive their 16 seater minibuses to take young people to weekend camps twice a year. His applicaton was turned down because he was under 25. We would have found it easier to understand and accept the decision had the leader not been driving double decker buses around Wolverhampton for 3 years!

My personal view is that drivers should have had a clean driving licence for at least 2 years before they can apply for a PCV or HGV licence. I think 18 is too young but there is no need to wait until somebody is 25 to be able to drive a minibus.

The 25 thing will be the insurance company, not anything legal. Several bus companies won't take on 18-21 year olds for two reasons. The first is insurance the second is they are restricted to local bus work, you cannot do tachograph work at that age. When I started the age limit was 21 at WMPTE, so I had to wait until then, but I am sure Dom will confirm he will have learnt far more in the couple of weeks he was in the NX training school than he would have learned in two years getting into bad habits in a small car.

MW

I started at NXWM when I was 19, back in 2015.

I also passed my test first time, but with one more minor than Dom lol (2).

Have all of you got a problem with me being a bus driver too?

Dom

Quote from: Tony on February 05, 2019, 07:28:38 PM
The 25 thing will be the insurance company, not anything legal. Several bus companies won't take on 18-21 year olds for two reasons. The first is insurance the second is they are restricted to local bus work, you cannot do tachograph work at that age. When I started the age limit was 21 at WMPTE, so I had to wait until then, but I am sure Dom will confirm he will have learnt far more in the couple of weeks he was in the NX training school than he would have learned in two years getting into bad habits in a small car.

Absolutely. The guys at the training school do a fantastic job, it's an intensive course but they know how to make a good driver and how to make sure drivers are fully equipped.

James.

Quote from: Dom on February 05, 2019, 07:44:56 PM
Absolutely. The guys at the training school do a fantastic job, it's an intensive course but they know how to make a good driver and how to make sure drivers are fully equipped.
Although I don't post on here often, I felt I should, I'm now a top rate driver at BC at the age of 24, passed my test about a month after turning 19, (sept 13) and although I have my own personal opinions on the job itself, I think starting driving buses at that age has really helped my driving ability in general compared to other drivers of a higher age and more 'experience' who have only ever driven a car.
James

Jack

28 running punctually today. Makes a change...

dutchbedford

Quote from: Dom on February 05, 2019, 06:43:13 PM
Why do you feel it's too young? In my eyes it's the best age to do it, I passed my test 1st time with 1 driving fault. I believe that shows I can handle a bus.

Been following this forum for a while now, thought I'd make the effort to make an account and reply to this..

Just remember, you get taught to pass a test, not to drive. You learn now, everyday for the rest of your driving career.

Overconfidence is the downfall of many, if you think you can do everything now, you'll come crashing straight back down to earth when you have your first collision or pax injury.

Listen to what drivers/management/trainers tell you, don't get overconfident and you'll be fine.

Trident 4194

4 corridor running late due to roadworks outside Sandwell and Dudley station

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 15, 2019, 09:59:46 AM

Actaually running late due to a burst water main at Bromford roundabout

don

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 15, 2019, 09:59:46 AM

Looks to be caused by a burst water main in the construction area north of the roundabout - a little careless.... causing delays on all roundabout approaches - a specific hot spot shown on line at the entrance to the station - not sure why - presumably vehicles trying to get out into the queue blocking others!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Trident 4194

Must say AVL are usually extremely good at running buses on the 11A/11C back to time. Numerous times have I been greeted by a 11A turning left from the hagley road to Lordswood road. The 126 nowadays doesn't seem very reliable it seems as over the past week I've seen quite a few red mmcs running NIS

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 15, 2019, 09:23:20 PM
Must say AVL are usually extremely good at running buses on the 11A/11C back to time. Numerous times have I been greeted by a 11A turning left from the hagley road to Lordswood road. The 126 nowadays doesn't seem very reliable it seems as over the past week I've seen quite a few red mmcs running NIS

I'm pretty sure the Outer Circle isn't managed by AVL but by AG themselves.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Jack

1900 left Hassop Road running 5 minutes late on 952. Due off at 10:18. In return the driver is going quick.

B.C Driver

I started aged 20 in 1997. I actually looked about 16 and lots of passengers used to say "Are you old enough to drive this bus?" It used to get on my nerves, but as the years rolled on I would wish they would still ask!
In 1997 there wasnt as many younger drivers as now, at BC there was still a lot of the 'old guard', plenty of drivers that had previously been at Selly Oak, Cotteridge and Quinton, some had been bus drivers since the late 50s and 60s.
A lot has to do with the maturity of the person and although Ive never met Dom, he comes across as being quite mature and level headed.
The training NX does now is thorough and has improved a lot since I started. Cpc courses refresh all drivers and try to eliminate bad habits.
Drive cam and traffilog also monitors bad driving and speed. In my early years I would drive like Lewis Hamilton running back dead to garage - not any more.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Dom

Quote from: Jack on February 18, 2019, 10:27:55 AM
1900 left Hassop Road running 5 minutes late on 952. Due off at 10:18. In return the driver is going quick.

Not exactly a very late running service then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk