News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Revenue Protection

Started by Stu, November 12, 2013, 06:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

First of all, would like to commend the Revenue Protection team for the work they do in getting the non-paying scroungers off our buses and up in front of the police.

They got themselves a nice little haul off the 37 I was on this evening too in Sparkbrook; it does make me chuckle inside watching them trying to scurry off, not realising that they're going to be asked to show a valid ticket or pass as they get off!

And there were some classics this evening; the usual "i've already put my ticket in the bin" - yes, that's why you should keep your ticket with you at all times! (the bin of course containing tickets timed hours ago)

Then there was the lad who had a child ticket who told the inspector he was 17 (lol  ::)) and then once off the bus and in front of a police officer stated he was 25!  :D

And of course the 'gobshite' who knows he's in the wrong, and refuses to leave the bus when asked by the inspector, but changes his tune, while still being mouthy, when the police officers get on to remove him.

Just a tiny little suggestion to make, it would be a nice gesture if once the offenders have been removed, and the bus is free to go again, if one of the inspectors could just say a courtesy 'thank you' to all the honest passengers left on board, before letting the driver continue.

Keep up the great work!  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on November 12, 2013, 06:54:10 PM
First of all, would like to commend the Revenue Protection team for the work they do in getting the non-paying scroungers off our buses and up in front of the police.

They got themselves a nice little haul off the 37 I was on this evening too in Sparkbrook; it does make me chuckle inside watching them trying to scurry off, not realising that they're going to be asked to show a valid ticket or pass as they get off!

And there were some classics this evening; the usual "i've already put my ticket in the bin" - yes, that's why you should keep your ticket with you at all times! (the bin of course containing tickets timed hours ago)

Then there was the lad who had a child ticket who told the inspector he was 17 (lol  ::)) and then once off the bus and in front of a police officer stated he was 25!  :D

And of course the 'gobshite' who knows he's in the wrong, and refuses to leave the bus when asked by the inspector, but changes his tune, while still being mouthy, when the police officers get on to remove him.

Just a tiny little suggestion to make, it would be a nice gesture if once the offenders have been removed, and the bus is free to go again, if one of the inspectors could just say a courtesy 'thank you' to all the honest passengers left on board, before letting the driver continue.

Keep up the great work!  ;)

I was the inspector who checked the bin and who you passed a comment to about the age.  We do normally say thank you but with 5 people being taken off that bus and only 4 inspectors there it was more important to get that bus moving again and us dealing with the non payers

Stu

As I'm sure I've stated before, I really don't mind my journey being held up, as I find it quite amusing to watch!

Actually it was the girl sat by the front door who overheard the lad telling the Safer Travel copper he was actually 25. She did later on give the driver a mouthful when he refused to drop her off before the Seeleys Road stop in Tyseley, just because the traffic was crawling. And then another chap joined in, stating that the driver was 'imprisoning her by refusing to let her off'!

Quite an eventful journey home!

But again, thank you for the stellar work you do, not just in getting the undesirables off our buses, but for this forum too Tony!  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

settlerman

In the last few months I have twice been alighting a bus where the revenue squad have been waiting. The first time I was stopped from getting off until I showed my pass so the second time I knew what to expect. I realise what a difficult job it must be but can a passenger be physically stopped from getting off a bus?

Tony

Quote from: settlerman on November 12, 2013, 09:27:30 PM
In the last few months I have twice been alighting a bus where the revenue squad have been waiting. The first time I was stopped from getting off until I showed my pass so the second time I knew what to expect. I realise what a difficult job it must be but can a passenger be physically stopped from getting off a bus?

We don't physically stop anyone from leaving. None of us ever touch anybody other than in self defense. But if you leave a bus without showing a valid ticket then the police may stop you walking away as they have the legal powers to stop and search anyone who a driver or inspector suspects may have an article used to commit the act of 'fraud by misrepresentation' on them. Anybody who has boarded a bus and shown the driver an out of date or altered ticket or pass, one belonging to another person, or who is using a child ticket or pass they are not entitled to is committing the offense of fraud by misrepresentation. This ticket/pass is the article the police have the powers to search for.

BU07 LGO

I was on a 33 and they caught one man and he waited till his stop and casually strolled off the bus!

Another one I saw was a man didn't have a ticket and he said to the inspector "come on brother we're both black do me a favour" and he let him get away with it!

Westy

Quote from: BU07 LGO on November 12, 2013, 11:01:30 PM
I was on a 33 and they caught one man and he waited till his stop and casually strolled off the bus!

Another one I saw was a man didn't have a ticket and he said to the inspector "come on brother we're both black do me a favour" and he let him get away with it!

I suppose if he had been 'done', he would've called the inspector some sort of traitor or whatever the current slang is!

Honestly,  it is unbelievable sometimes!

YWDriver

I must have met you yesterday Tony without even realising. I was on a 2 service coming out of city at around 4:45. I think you took a young lad off for having an out of date travel card and I almost drove off without him ! (First post by the way so hello everyone!)

notepanel

Quote from: YWDriver on November 13, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
I must have met you yesterday Tony without even realising. I was on a 2 service coming out of city at around 4:45. I think you took a young lad off for having an out of date travel card and I almost drove off without him ! (First post by the way so hello everyone!)

Welcome to the forum! Your post has got me thinking, and a possible question for Tony,  what happens to a genuine child with an out of date ticket? If they are fined is that made out to the parent/guardian? Thanks

B.C Driver

Best one I had was a youth who altered his bus pass to make it last untill Feb 31st!
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

nitromatt1

Tony,

If you find a passenger using an out of date travelcard when revenue checking, do you charge them a single fare or standard fare? What action would you take if they refuse/cannot pay?

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 13, 2013, 03:40:05 PM
Tony,

If you find a passenger using an out of date travelcard when revenue checking, do you charge them a single fare or standard fare? What action would you take if they refuse/cannot pay?

They are charged the standard fare plus liquidated damages back to the date the travelcard expired

mranon

id like to see revenue protection squad out and about on some wn routes. the amount of dodgy people with fingers over dates etc is unbelievable

Tony

Quote from: mranon on November 13, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
id like to see revenue protection squad out and about on some wn routes. the amount of dodgy people with fingers over dates etc is unbelievable

Revenue teams are regularly in Wolverhampton. Low Hill police are some of the best police to work with

danny

I have a question, which is kind of relevant, what is the practice when a driver notices an out of date ticket being used, challenges the person using it and they refuse to leave the bus, I ask this because a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday. A young guy did this, and our driver (who in my opinion was in the right) stopped the engine and refused to move, however. I along with most of the people on the bus (you get chatting after a while) were on our way to work. Left within plenty of time to get to work with time for traffic, then had to sit their because of one person being a idiot. We ended up hopping on a bus which followed some 20 minutes late. I have full on respect for the revenue team and driving staff for doing their job and am always polite and plesant to both when if called back for whatever reason or the bus is inspected, they have a job to do, but In the same respect, so do I, this isn't me having ago as fully respect everyone's thoughts but where is the line drawn in these situations.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk