News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Withdrawn Vehicles

Started by Ashley, November 01, 2013, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2015, 12:22:22 PM
No, not just yet.

1629 at Pensnett has died
1698 will this week.

There are no other MoT expiries in July, so withdrawals will be decided by other factors which are obviously less predictable

Presume 1629s MOT has expired as i saw it last week and it seemed to be ok.

I wonder what the last Merc in service will be and from what garage, my feeling is 1743 from PE, but just a guess.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stevo

It would be a bit strange if 1743 was the last Merc 0405N - wasn't it the first?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Stevo on June 29, 2015, 09:35:08 PM
It would be a bit strange if 1743 was the last Merc 0405N - wasn't it the first?

No, it was new as a demo in 1999 that was aquired in 2001

John

Quote from: Nathan on June 29, 2015, 09:38:50 PM
No, it was a demo that was aquired to replace one of the Mercs lost in the West Brom Garage fire in 2001

It was with the company before that. March 1999 at Coventry

Tony

Quote from: John on June 29, 2015, 09:40:35 PM
It was with the company before that. March 1999 at Coventry

New 2/99 as an evobus demo, At Coventry covering warranty repairs 3-5/99
went to Metrobus 5/99 on loan
Inspected by Finglands, but not used 7/99
Back to Coventry 4/00
purchased and to WB 1/01

Stevo

I'm not sure but I think it may have been the prototype for the TWM batch, though looking at chassis numbers it isn't exactly the lowest one, but is not far off. It must have been built well before 2/99. It would be interesting to know a little more history - what it was doing in 1998, for instance.

Stevo

This has set me thinking. It's a UVG finished vehicle and UVG went out of business in early 1998 after finishing the first few 0405Ns so 1743 must date from early 1998.

Gareth

There was another vehicle that was a demonstrator in TWM colours. For the life of me I can't remember it's reg number at the moment, but it was an R reg and I believe it still survives with Norfolk Green I think!

filbus1

Quote from: Gareth on June 30, 2015, 11:17:09 AM
There was another vehicle that was a demonstrator in TWM colours. For the life of me I can't remember it's reg number at the moment, but it was an R reg and I believe it still survives with Norfolk Green I think!
Yes, I remember it being at an Aston Manor open day I have forgot the reg. number too.

1743 was acquired after west brom garage fire  which consumed a merc 1623 or 24 I think, I remember it in all white it had different spec seats with higher backs , orange poles , it stood out from the crowd at the time it spent its early days on the harborne road before being transferred. If I remember correctly it was first merc to painted in worst version of the TWM livery majority blue from back to the front wheels simply horrible, it gained the standard seats as well. It drove like the other R and S plates at west brom.

Niall

Quote from: Gareth on June 30, 2015, 11:17:09 AM

That one would R280 SDT (although it doesn't appear to have been taxed since 2005). I suppose that's the same bus featured in this mercedes brochure: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63551959@N03/6074377702/in/photostream/
I had meant to ask about this bus when I came across the photos, I'm guessing it wasn't with TWM for very long, did it ever appear in service? (apologies if I'm going slightly off-topic)
I'm on Flickr and Youtube

Gareth

Yes that's the one. I don't think it ever operated in TWM service. But it did operate in TWM colours for Preston, Mainline and GM Buses North. A google search of it's reg number produces some photos of it at various operators.

Cheese

Quote from: Gareth on June 30, 2015, 12:20:03 PM
Yes that's the one. I don't think it ever operated in TWM service. But it did operate in TWM colours for Preston, Mainline and GM Buses North. A google search of it's reg number produces some photos of it at various operators.

It appears R280SDT was burnt out in Norfolk when with Norfolk Green. I love the shot of it at the terminus in Maltby in full TWM livery. Have a vague recollection I might have seen that in Rotherham when Mainline had it.

The Real 4778

R280SDT is no more, having been destroyed by fire as someone says.
Will be strange if ex demo 1743 lasts longest. Preservation worthy for sure. But a run of the mill example like 1613 would get my money too.

Was great to ride some Merc UVG products as apron transfer vehicles at Faro airport, Portugal last weekend.
Don't you start.

Stevo

Thanks - it must be that one that I was thinking of. We still don't know what 1743 was doing in before 2/99 if it was finished by UVG before their closure a year earlier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk