News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

what would you like to see in the next 5 years, this if for FUN..

Started by danny, May 05, 2012, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stu on August 12, 2012, 11:18:49 AM
Quote from: Tony on August 11, 2012, 07:14:44 PM
Quote from: Stu on August 11, 2012, 05:09:09 PM

Lets have all the fleet painted into red/white and leave off the brandings, they don't serve any useful purpose.

That is apart from increasing passenger numbers and we wouldn't want that would we?
Haven't you noticed, the companys that are regularly praised on here, Trent, Go-Ahead, Nottingham, Brighton & Hove, all you garish coloured branding?
The reason being every large company in the country will tell you branding increases ridership!

That was just my own opinion, and branding may appear to be doing a job, but I prefer to believe that a number of other factors are contributing to the increased passenger numbers we're seeing:

• The brand new buses
  • The network reviews, that have revised and introduced routes to meet passenger demands
  • The increase in real-time displays, and better timetable information at bus stops
  • And of course, the rising cost of fuel which is forcing more people to give up their cars and try public transport instead

Again, just my own opinion, and after all, this thread is about 'what we'd like to see'. Route branding may be effective, but some people like it, some don't. My own observations are that people really don't pay any attention to them anyway, the same people that get on a bus with a big 'Solihull' on the front display, and then ask the driver if this bus goes to Solihull!  ;D

I appreciate it is your wish it wasn't there which is what this topic is about, I was just replying to the last sentence that it doesn't do anything. I have never worked out why it does increase ridership, as you say there is a number and destination on the front, but it does!

On routes that serve a tourist attraction I can see that painting a large 'this bus goes to.... ' on the side will help but years ago the 590 was branded at Washwood Heath, no other improvements just a big sky blue band painted up the sides of some mark one metrobuses, but apparently passenger numbers increased when it was done!

BU07 LGO

I think highlighting how frequent a route is does help people who arent familiar to the bus service and may only see them driving around could tempt them to try it out

SMK

Quote from: JackC on August 12, 2012, 04:33:05 AM
Quote from: SMK on May 12, 2012, 04:42:25 PM
Arriva to take over Midland and thus expand their commercial routes.

Well what do you know, this one has actually come true. Maybe we can see some of the others coming true too! Some new buses at West Brom wouldn't go amiss.

I was just about to say that. ;D
I think I'll also add for them to get rid of the worst of their tatty Darts and Solos and/or refurb the interiors of those that badly need it.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Discodave

Someone with sense not just gid rid drop a bomb on cannocks fleet

nx4737

Quote from: Discodave on August 14, 2012, 12:01:19 PM

If they do, will you actually stop moaning about it?  ;D

Badger

Just seen Banga have acquired another TWM solo. I'd like to see all of Banga's fleet replaced with ex WM solos to finally get rid of the horrid fleet they have right now. As my friend would say, "they're an absolute disgrace!". The "new" solos may be quite old but they're a damned sight better than the box mercs, looking quite shiny and respectable too.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Discodave

Quote from: nx4737 on September 03, 2012, 03:38:07 PM
Quote from: Discodave on August 14, 2012, 12:01:19 PM

If they do, will you actually stop moaning about it?  ;D

Yes but it will never happen hence in this topic so no

Andrew1991

Quote from: Badger on September 03, 2012, 04:30:16 PM
Just seen Banga have acquired another TWM solo. I'd like to see all of Banga's fleet replaced with ex WM solos to finally get rid of the horrid fleet they have right now. As my friend would say, "they're an absolute disgrace!". The "new" solos may be quite old but they're a damned sight better than the box mercs, looking quite shiny and respectable too.

Looking a lot better than the twm ones too

Westy

Quote from: A1991 on September 04, 2012, 03:18:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that any NXWM buses sold could not operate in the WM area for several years? If I'm right, that sounds daft!

Westy

Can we have the Walsall - Bloxwich 370 / 371 circulars back as we used to be able to catch one from Leamore Bloxwich Road right round to Beechdale Sainsburys without going into Walsall?

(Technically we live 20 mins walk from Sainsburys, but since they got rid of the 351, it's a pain in the bum to keep going via Walsall!)

Discodave

Quote from: Westy on September 15, 2012, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: A1991 on September 04, 2012, 03:18:53 PM

I was told that when i was a NXWM driver too

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that any NXWM buses sold could not operate in the WM area for several years? If I'm right, that sounds daft!

JB93

- A central Birmingham bus station where all buses terminate, to allow easy transfers from one route to another without having to walk halfway across the city centre.
- The whole fleet painted into the NXWM livery - it just looks shabby at the moment with all these different liveries floating round.
- Bus services going a bit further out to serve outlying areas - don't have to be frequent, maybe just once an hour. e.g. a bus to Knowle,  -     Dorridge, Balsall Common, places like Alvechurch and Hednesfield. Maybe Bromsgrove, Cannock, Tamworth, Lichfield, Kidderminster. Bus links between the local areas and direct to Birmingham City Centre (you could make them limited stop routes into Birmingham).
- The end of the B6s, B10Ls, Mercs and maybe the Solos to be replaced by more modern buses e.g. Wright Streetlites, MCV Evolutions (not just the one at Pensnett) and more B7s.
- The reopening of Lea Hall Garage!! I lived right round the corner from it and was gutted when it closed. The routes that used to be there  probably would have gained better buses and branding etc. if they'd stayed as at the moment routes like the 94 and 14 are falling into disrepair with shabby buses. If they got rid of Bordesley garage (such a pointless little garage), repainted all the Omnilinks, and sent the 8 to BC, and the 17 and 55/A back to Lea Hall along with the 14, 94, 90, 56, 97 and 97A then there would surely be improvements!

JB93

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk