News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

AVL

Started by 37351ml, October 09, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

37351ml

What does AVL stand for? , i see it mentioned in the forum quite often.

John

BU07 LGO

Automatic vehicle location I always thoufht?

vinh1000

I think Automatic Vehicle Locator/Location
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

notepanel

Previously only a small quantity of buses were fitted with the AVL technology, but now every NXWM bus has it.

For around the past 18 months? there has been an AVL Control Centre based at Bordesley Green. Known by many as 'Armchair inspectors', the staff here basically regulate all the services throughout the day.

AVL enables the controller to look where every bus is at that moment in time, so for instance they can see the gaps in the services and act accordingly to try to keep services running punctually. Advantages over an inspector on the ground are that they can see the consequences of their actions (for instance if they can see that there are no other buses following a delayed bus for about 40 minutes, it will not be useful to turn that bus around short of the terminus as this will just cause longer delays for passengers - something the inspector wouldn't be able to see when making their decision)

Liverpool Street

And they're also know it alls who won't listen to the drivers.

I'm against the idea of it being at Bordesley. It should be garage based.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

richie

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 09, 2013, 10:27:44 PM
And they're also know it alls who won't listen to the drivers.

I'm against the idea of it being at Bordesley. It should be garage based.

The first line of that comment may be deemed as defamation? And certainly unfair to anyone in that position or indeed also a member on this forum.

Should this topic be locked now? stones and glasshouses come to mind.

Ex BC driver

I have to agree with LS, it should be garage based like they do in London. 5 people in a room running AVL and CRC (Central Radio Control) covering the radio network of 9 garages.

Liverpool Street

How can it be defamatory when its the truth?

Whenever I got in touch with AVL, they would refuse to adjust me and say complete mileage - even though it'll be impossible to get the time back, effectively forcing you to do overtime, and there was another bus - the same service - in front of you on time.

If it was garage based then they would know what drivers do what etc and in addition, know how to adjust you properly!!

And indeed ex-BC Driver, its not the best idea IMHO.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Liberator9

That will explain why my 76 was short turned on the Stratford road on Tuesday. My 76 was running about 10 minutes late and when we reached Alderbrook School the driver came upstairs to explain that we would have to get off the bus and get on the bus behind. We did so and our 76 drove off; I suppose to Solihull empty to catch up time. A minute later 4337 on another 76 to Solihull turned up and we got on that. Only the second time I've known this happen in the West midlands; the first was when the NXWM S3, which had a Wright Eclipse Urban on, was short turned at Dorridge and didn't go on to form the S2.

vinh1000

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 09:59:20 AM

Whenever I got in touch with AVL, they would refuse to adjust me and say complete mileage - even though it'll be impossible to get the time back, effectively forcing you to do overtime, and there was another bus - the same service - in front of you on time.

If it was garage based then they would know what drivers do what etc and in addition, know how to adjust you properly!!

Did it used to be garage based at one point?
One of driver I know one day called AVL - they no answer til 30 minutes later lol :)

the button on radio i presume pressed then says call cancelled / queued then the displays clear (1 press = call. 2 press = late 3 press = emergency) i think thats the sequence
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Liverpool Street

Quote from: vinh1000 on October 10, 2013, 08:57:10 PM

One of driver I know one day called AVL - they no answer til 30 minutes later lol :)

the button on radio i presume pressed then says call cancelled / queued then the displays clear (1 press = call. 2 press = late 3 press = emergency) i think thats the sequence

1. SPEECH
2. NO RELIEF
3. LATE
4. CANCEL

From what I remember. Then it has 3 beeps for Queued, and a flat line tone for No Serv.

In addition, you use the Emergency button for emergencies.

And it was before but it wasn't really AVL in the sense it is now.
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 09:05:21 PM

1. SPEECH
2. NO RELIEF
3. LATE
4. CANCEL

From what I remember. Then it has 3 beeps for Queued, and a flat line tone for No Serv.

Generally, how late is a driver such that they press the Late sequence?

:D

Is AVL the little black box on just above and the left of mirror on the windscreen?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 10, 2013, 09:18:12 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 09:05:21 PM

1. SPEECH
2. NO RELIEF
3. LATE
4. CANCEL

Generally, how late is a driver such that they press the Late sequence?

In reality when any balancing time does not equate to the lateness. Or when its not possible to get the time back. Additionally if you finish in garage there is slim chance of adjustment.

And no, :D, that sounds like BridgeClear.
until it cought fire

:D

Yup, I think it is BridgeClear, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk