News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Scooter Permit

Started by vinh1000, August 21, 2013, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinh1000

http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/tickets-prices/mobility-scooters/

Something interesting I saw

A passenger was refused travel on Service 146 when First ran it around Jan 2013 where First require a permit before travel :O
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

trident4370

vinh1000

Indeed but ive seen on ex-first days a few passengers do experience a shock when the driver lets them know of their policy
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Tony

trident4370

There's already more than enough competition for the 'bays' by the front with wheelchairs and pushchairs. With the 2 buggies a bus rule, it isn't an uncommon sight to see parents being turned away from buses with no space as it is now, so it'll make it even more likely that some people won't be able to board the first bus that comes. Not forgetting how much bigger mobility scooters are to wheelchairs and pushchairs... Just a personal opinion but I think it is asking for trouble, especially at peaks.

Tony

Quote from: trident4370 on August 22, 2013, 08:09:47 PM
There's already more than enough competition for the 'bays' by the front with wheelchairs and pushchairs. With the 2 buggies a bus rule, it isn't an uncommon sight to see parents being turned away from buses with no space as it is now, so it'll make it even more likely that some people won't be able to board the first bus that comes. Not forgetting how much bigger mobility scooters are to wheelchairs and pushchairs... Just a personal opinion but I think it is asking for trouble, especially at peaks.

By law you have to make vehicles available for everyone. All these do is tell the driver that the scooter will fit and has batteries that are no risk to other passengers. In fact  because most people will NOT have these permits it actually helps drivers keep some people OFF the buses not the other way around

Stu

I must admit, I've never encountered anyone with a mobility scooter ever try to get on a bus.

It is already difficult at times for people with buggies, or in wheelchairs, to get on (or indeed off also) a crowded bus where people choose to stand in the gangway, rather than further down the bus. (or take a bloody seat when they're available!)

I myself don't have a problem with wheelchair users, or otherwise disabled passengers, it's the inconsiderate able-bodied people who really rile me.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

trident4370

Quote from: Tony on August 22, 2013, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on August 22, 2013, 08:09:47 PM

By law you have to make vehicles available for everyone. All these do is tell the driver that the scooter will fit and has batteries that are no risk to other passengers. In fact  because most people will NOT have these permits it actually helps drivers keep some people OFF the buses not the other way around

The only problem with that idea is that by word of mouth, surely word will spread and more and more older people will be applying for the permits?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Stu on August 22, 2013, 08:26:59 PM
I must admit, I've never encountered anyone with a mobility scooter ever try to get on a bus.

It is already difficult at times for people with buggies, or in wheelchairs, to get on (or indeed off also) a crowded bus where people choose to stand in the gangway, rather than further down the bus. (or take a bloody seat when they're available!)

I myself don't have a problem with wheelchair users, or otherwise disabled passengers, it's the inconsiderate able-bodied people who really rile me.

Never seen someone with a mobility scooter on a bus before until on sunday a man got on the first sunday 59 (5511) and took his time parking it adding at least 3-4 extra minutes to the journey

trident4370

Quote from: Trident 4609 on August 22, 2013, 08:30:02 PM

Never seen someone with a mobility scooter on a bus before until on sunday a man got on the first sunday 59 (5511) and took his time parking it adding at least 3-4 extra minutes to the journey

I didn't even think they were allowed now? I have seen people turned away before!

nitromatt1

A guy got on the 241 the other day in a mobility scooter, only going 2 stops into Blackheath! Of course the ramp needed to be set up each time. Although he is of course entitled to use the bus, makes me wonder how difficult it would've been just to go into town on his scooter, after all he is only holding a button down with his finger

Stuharris 6360

The thing is whilst it is right that you shouldn't discriminate against disabled people, a while ago i was on a very packed bus and it stopped at a stop. A man in a wheelchair was there, he was told there was no room on the bus for him, he actually told the driver that he should tell some of the passengers to get off the bus as he was entitled to get on it with his wheelchair. The driver tried kindly to explain that the people on the bus all had tickets for that bus and he must wait for the next bus.

then of course the wheelchair man starts shouting discrimination and threatened to report the driver.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

trident4370

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 22, 2013, 08:52:53 PM
The thing is whilst it is right that you shouldn't discriminate against disabled people, a while ago i was on a very packed bus and it stopped at a stop. A man in a wheelchair was there, he was told there was no room on the bus for him, he actually told the driver that he should tell some of the passengers to get off the bus as he was entitled to get on it with his wheelchair. The driver tried kindly to explain that the people on the bus all had tickets for that bus and he must wait for the next bus.

then of course the wheelchair man starts shouting discrimination and threatened to report the driver.

Sadly I have seen the same thing with a buggy before, the driver even offered assistance in folding the buggy down but she was more interested in calling him a prejudice ****

It is no wonder a lot of drivers hate passengers and get sick of us!

Rob H

Quote from: Trident 4609 on August 22, 2013, 08:30:02 PM

I seen one on Monday or Tuesday I seen a woman get on with her scooter she got on the 10:05 900 (4903) to Coventry and she took a couple of minutes I know what you mean Stu it annoys me aswell when somebody doesn't move for either a Wheelchair/Scooter or Pushchair I always move for them
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Westy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 22, 2013, 08:52:53 PM

Would've loved to see some of the passengers response to being told to get off a bus, to get a mobility scooter on!

I suspect a certain 2 words, with the second word being off!

Those pushchairs are a nightmare though.

My mom keeps telling me she had to put hers down, no argument, when us kids were little. (She's now in her late 70's bless her!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk