News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Naming Vehicles

Started by windy miller, May 01, 2012, 01:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

Does anyone know if any central birmingham buses are to be named at any time in the future?It would be a credit to the company if they were to honour its long serving emloyees-perhaps a minimum of 40 years? I think this practise may be common in other towns, Brighton is one example.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Phil

They could name some of the new volvos that are coming out, being as they have named some of the Wolverhampton amd Pensnett ones. I think 4177 may have been given a name, but I'm not sure on that one

John

Quote from: Phil on May 01, 2012, 02:17:43 AM
I think 4177 may have been given a name, but I'm not sure on that one

Yes, it is named Julie, it is under the window screen.

windy miller

on the subject of names is there any chance tony could perhaps draw up a list of the B7 names in use at WN?

SMK

Quote from: windy miller on May 02, 2012, 12:28:12 PM
on the subject of names is there any chance tony could perhaps draw up a list of the B7 names in use at WN?
From  http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/sets/72157627973705833/:

2001 - The Mayors Charity Fund
2002 - Compton Hospice
2003 - The Haven Refuge
2004 - Grand Theatre
2005 - Lady Wulfrun
2006 - Beverly Knight
2007 - Austin Gabriel
2008 - Charles Wheeler
2009 - Steve Bull
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Roy

In Brighton and Hove, they have named all new low-floor buses after people with some connection to the city.  The only thing is that you have to be dead before you get a bus named after you.  Des Lynam has been quoted as saying that he hopes he never gets a bus named after him!

windy miller

thanks for the info roy. another entry for my book! :)

windy miller

saw another two 'namers' today- (both PE B7.s on the 126 svc ) Colmore 2096-Mark Simon- (Whoever he is/was) and 2098 Duncan Edwards football legend. Are there any more namers at PE?.   Do they have any sort of ceremony with these names or does the cleaning lady stick them on at random overnight when no-ones looking?.....  :o :) 

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on May 28, 2012, 07:40:33 PM
saw another two 'namers' today- (both PE B7.s on the 126 svc ) Colmore 2096-Mark Simon- (Whoever he is/was) and 2098 Duncan Edwards football legend. Are there any more namers at PE?.   Do they have any sort of ceremony with these names or does the cleaning lady stick them on at random overnight when no-ones looking?.....  :o :)

4817 (the one with the old fleetname on the nearside) has been named 'Edward Littlehayes' after a young autistic lad whom has taken an exceptional liking to 4817. I gather he is overjoyed with his name appearing

matt904102

Quote from: windy miller on May 28, 2012, 07:40:33 PM
Mark Simon was a pensnett bus driver that died suddenly of a tumor aged 47. Truly sterling human being.

windy miller

matt904- Thats what I like to see- public recognition for people who deserve it. Personally, I would like to see the names of some of the soldiers who have died in the Afghan /Iraqi/conflicts- perhaps with the regimental coat of arms alongside.  (Esp if they were West midlanders). but I don't suppose it will happen. 

matt904102

stick your ideas on NXWM facebook. You can but try.

Ashley

2095 is named after a Pensnett bus driver, in recognition of his work for charity, I can't remember the name. I reckon Tony should have his name on a bus, as being a long serving member of the company

windy miller

Ash-perhaps that should be long 'Suffering' :) :) -ironicly the names that were given to Steam locomotives years ago were accompanied with a ceremony of some sort-often in the public eye-view I could never understand why (from 1961 onwards) there was such a great haste in their removal long before the vehicles were actually withdrawn from service. Of course these 'plates' are worth an absolute fortune today. I owned a Great Western Rlwy Brass plate which I bought from Swindon in 1966. at a cost of £15. I sold it for £1000 a few years ago.

matt904102

Quote from: Ashley on June 28, 2012, 11:12:30 PM
2095 is named after a Pensnett bus driver, in recognition of his work for charity, I can't remember the name. I reckon Tony should have his name on a bus, as being a long serving member of the company
The name is "Dave Gerrard" for his charity work. Tells bad jokes then charges people for the privelige of him not telling them. A very long serving bus driver. Started on BMMO Bearwood garage i believe. Nice chap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk