News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Questions for the NXWM Operations Director

Started by NX OD, July 24, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 26, 2013, 09:18:23 PM
I would think the 9 could benefit from A 24/7 service possibly linking with the 97 at night.

Apparently the 9N used to be packed when it operated in the past..... I agree i think it could work

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 26, 2013, 09:14:18 PM
Simon,

would like to ask about Night Buses in general.

Now London have such a good night bus service, as Birmingham is regarded as the 2nd city, has it never been thought of to bring back Night buses to a number of routes.

i kn ow you have made the 97 a 24hr service, but when the bus gets into city, it links with nothing.

Thanks

Stu

Night buses when they were around had a lot of incidents happen on them and developed a bad reputation, people think crime during the day is bad. A lot of journeys on these routes had incidents. A lot of work would need to come back I think before they came back. That being just one significant factor.

Trident 4609

Quote from: Peter123 on July 26, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
I would think the 9 could benefit from A 24/7 service possibly linking with the 97 at night.

Apparently the 9N used to be packed when it operated in the past..... I agree i think it could work

Well there isn't much of a gap between the first journey starting and the last journey ending.

Matt regually reports the last few 9's of the night as packed

mranon

re the wn59, why were the original allocation of tridents refurbed and moved onto 529, then spectras cascaded to 59? isnt it time the spectras were put out to pastures new, they are unreliable and some are very slow. (you often wonder if they will make it under the railway bridge up the incline onto ringroad).

Trident 4609

Quote from: mranon on July 26, 2013, 10:54:26 PM
re the wn59, why were the original allocation of tridents refurbed and moved onto 529, then spectras cascaded to 59? isnt it time the spectras were put out to pastures new, they are unreliable and some are very slow. (you often wonder if they will make it under the railway bridge up the incline onto ringroad).

I did wonder why that happened. The 59 used to have 4600-09 dedicated to the route and before that on the 559 you had 4310/11/12/16/18 braned and before that 4170-79 for the 559/560.

Well i have noticed that More Spectras have gone onto the 59 and moe tridents onto the 79.

I think in the summer there are 10 buses on the 59 (11th peak bus) and that is regually around 3 tridents, 2-3 B5's and 4-5 Spectras.

As i asked NXOD Putting the majority of buses on the 59 as spectras they are overworked and overheat in hot weather.

winston

I used to catch the 9N from 2am in Broad st & both opetated by MRW & Pete's Travel & never witnessed a single incident......

Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 26, 2013, 11:27:56 PM
Quote from: mranon on July 26, 2013, 10:54:26 PM

I did wonder why that happened. The 59 used to have 4600-09 dedicated to the route and before that on the 559 you had 4310/11/12/16/18 braned and before that 4170-79 for the 559/560.

Well i have noticed that More Spectras have gone onto the 59 and moe tridents onto the 79.

I think in the summer there are 10 buses on the 59 (11th peak bus) and that is regually around 3 tridents, 2-3 B5's and 4-5 Spectras.

As i asked NXOD Putting the majority of buses on the 59 as spectras they are overworked and overheat in hot weather.

I would assume that more Spectras are put on the 59 due to reliability issues. Firstly if one breaks down it is relatively near to the garage wherever it fails on route so it is easier and quicker to recover or send a replacement out... A bit more of a problem if one on the 79 breaks down in West Brom or on a 1 in Dudley for example thus reducing lost mileage/service disruption. I also assume this is why a majority of the other Spectras are regularly allocated to the 11,32,33.
Also as the 59 is a very regular service a bus 'missing' (as often referred but in fact usually means 'a mechanical problem)' it has a less of an impact on the service thus reducing complaints (theoretically) and causing less disruption
i.e a break down on the 59, next one will be in   7mins total maximum wait for 1 missing bus = 14mins
i.e a break down on the 79, next one will be in 20mins total maximum wait for 1 missing bus = 40mins
We can see how this worsens if 2 buses in succession 'break down'
on the 59 - maximum wait is still only 21 mins (yes I know its a long time when your physically waiting...but...
on the 79 - maximum wait is now an hour!!
I'm probably wrong but thats my guess  :)
I also will mention Diamond no longer operate the 59..I'll leave you to work that one out   :P :P :P
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Winston on July 27, 2013, 12:00:09 AM

I used to catch the 9N from 2am in Broad st & both opetated by MRW & Pete's Travel & never witnessed a single incident......

That is very fortunate for you. I was not referring to the 9N specifically, I was talking about the whole Birmingham night network in general. Also I was stating it was a factor (not the only reason) in the networks demise.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: 4006 on July 27, 2013, 01:04:36 AMI also will mention Diamond no longer operate the 59..I'll leave you to work that one out   :P :P :P

Bizarrely, it died on its a**e once they pulled out of Wolvo' Bus Station. There was also a timekeeping 'issue' that I never quite got to the bottom of (I was getting there, but a 'new brooms' ideas put paid to that). Shame, used to look forward to a Pork sarnie lunch @ Wednesfield whilst checking that route :-)

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 27, 2013, 01:50:29 AM
Quote from: 4006 on July 27, 2013, 01:04:36 AMI also will mention Diamond no longer operate the 59..I'll leave you to work that one out   :P :P :P

Bizarrely, it died on its a**e once they pulled out of Wolvo' Bus Station. There was also a timekeeping 'issue' that I never quite got to the bottom of (I was getting there, but a 'new brooms' ideas put paid to that). Shame, used to look forward to a Pork sarnie lunch @ Wednesfield whilst checking that route :-)
you should still do it....now the service don't run you can have a longer lunch  :P :P :P

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: 4006 on July 27, 2013, 01:58:57 AMyou should still do it....now the service don't run you can have a longer lunch  :P :P :P

Not my problem any more. If it was, I understand there's one TE driver (ex T/M) i'd be paying particular attention to!

Now i'm one of Camerons millions, i'm free to choose where I lunch, :-)

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 27, 2013, 02:11:03 AM
Quote from: 4006 on July 27, 2013, 01:58:57 AMyou should still do it....now the service don't run you can have a longer lunch  :P :P :P

Not my problem any more. If it was, I understand there's one TE driver (ex T/M) i'd be paying particular attention to!

Now i'm one of Camerons millions, i'm free to choose where I lunch, :-)
There are many T/E drivers that should be 'payed more attention to' more fun & games I guess when they start on the 529, they have already made their presence known...I hope the contract is a short one for their sake  :P

mranon

diamond did their usual on the 59, wowed everyone with decent buses/drivers then started putting clapped out rubbish which kept breaking down. they also varied by looping around the hospital, which we all know whilst handy for passengers is a logistical delaying knightmare.

my point with the spectras is if they are that unreliable why were they not disposed of. i heard a rumour that the 21 hybrids should have seen them off. instead wn have lost tridents instead. even arriva/midland using similar db250's seem to be having reliability issues.

Bob

Arriva Wednesfield having reliability issues?? Never in this world lol :-p

makkacdt

Hi simon,

Have you got any idea if buses on the lion farm estate will be improved at all.

We have lost the 128/129 twm side and the 200/201 from midland.

TO get to bearwood i now have to get the 89 which is constently late and full to wait 20 mins in oldbury for the 128 which i used to be able to get there in the first place.
And to get to brimingham from my own door i have to get on a service which takes forever instead of the 40 or so mins on the 128.

The 238/289 is now useless as it does not go to merry hill, so we have to change buses yet again.

We had a very good bus services a few years ago and now they have gone to pot.

Is there anything anyone is doing about it????

Wouldnt mind a 10 min bus service....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk