News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Questions for the NXWM Operations Director

Started by NX OD, July 24, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

NX OD, It says in the new changes that the sunday 255 is being decreased to hourly, Now does this just mean that the 255E fill in journeys to Wall Heath be withdrawn making the whole route hourly?

The Real 4778

I'm in the process of acquiring an R-reg (future) classic car for personal use and was wondering how I could approach NXWM (rather than EMR or PVS) to see about transferring an R-reg plate from a withdrawn for scrap O405N, like R160 XOB for example.

I know there's an admin fee involved but if it weren't too arduous I'd be very keen to do it.
Don't you start.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: The Real 4778 on August 27, 2013, 09:46:10 AM
I'm in the process of acquiring an R-reg (future) classic car for personal use and was wondering how I could approach NXWM (rather than EMR or PVS) to see about transferring an R-reg plate from a withdrawn for scrap O405N, like R160 XOB for example.

I know there's an admin fee involved but if it weren't too arduous I'd be very keen to do it.

I would have thought that would have involved the DVLA rather than the previous owners

And out of interest what car are you buying?

The Real 4778

Quote from: wilmotm (Matt Wilmot) on August 27, 2013, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: The Real 4778 on August 27, 2013, 09:46:10 AM

I would have thought that would have involved the DVLA rather than the previous owners

And out of interest what car are you buying?

LOL - madness I know, but a couple (all being well) of high-spec Rover 800s.  One to be garaged for summer only use, the other as a light-user second car.

Regarding the DVLA angle, I was under the impression you could effect the transfer at the point where the donor vehicle is confirmed scrapped, albeit you pay the DVLA an admin fee.  Otherwise I think the registration mark dies with the vehicle.  More homework methinks....
Don't you start.

NX OD

Quote from: Trident 4609 on August 27, 2013, 09:30:11 AM
NX OD, It says in the new changes that the sunday 255 is being decreased to hourly, Now does this just mean that the 255E fill in journeys to Wall Heath be withdrawn making the whole route hourly?

Hi,

The pdf of the new timetable is on our website and the 255 will run hourly for the full lenght.  No short journeys apart from at the start and end of the day.

The Real 4778

Quote from: The Real 4778 on August 27, 2013, 10:15:25 AM

LOL - madness I know, but a couple (all being well) of high-spec Rover 800s.  One to be garaged for summer only use, the other as a light-user second car.

Regarding the DVLA angle, I was under the impression you could effect the transfer at the point where the donor vehicle is confirmed scrapped, albeit you pay the DVLA an admin fee.  Otherwise I think the registration mark dies with the vehicle.  More homework methinks....

You apparently have to transfer it at the point the donor loses its MoT status.  Incidentally, as of an hour ago, I am in the market for two numbers.  Wouldn't it be great to have R160XOB and R610XOB running round a while longer...  ::)
Don't you start.

monkeyjoe

Since the introduction of the link  Bromford - Chelmsley Wood by service 72, is this working well, to expectations (or even past expectations) and if so are their any plans to further develop and enhance this corridor and the 71/72 routes in general?

Tony

Quote from: The Real 4778 on August 27, 2013, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: The Real 4778 on August 27, 2013, 10:15:25 AM

You apparently have to transfer it at the point the donor loses its MoT status.  Incidentally, as of an hour ago, I am in the market for two numbers.  Wouldn't it be great to have R160XOB and R610XOB running round a while longer...  ::)

Doesn't have to be done as the MoT expires, it can be done easily at any time as long as the donor vehicle has an MoT. All it needs is the owner of the donor vehicle's consent and an 80 pound transfer fee paying to the DVLA.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Tony on August 27, 2013, 02:23:09 PM

Doesn't have to be done as the MoT expires, it can be done easily at any time as long as the donor vehicle has an MoT. All it needs is the owner of the donor vehicle's consent and an 80 pound transfer fee paying to the DVLA.

Well I can manage the brown envelope with 160 notes in; I guess it comes down to NXWM's consent and some canny timing, as buses are withdrawn with an MoT certificate, but the unexpired portion will be quite short in many cases, I expect.
Don't you start.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: NX OD on August 27, 2013, 08:06:55 AM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 23, 2013, 03:21:07 PM
Hi Simon,

was out & about today and noticed a poster on a bus talking about timetable alterations for the 1st September 2013.

This poster seemed to be generic for the whole of the Birmingham & Black Country. My question is , with duplicated route numbers through out the West Midlands now, if the poster says a timetable change for the 27 for example, which 27 does it mean, Dudley to Wolverhampton or Hawksley to The Maypole?

I know that it means Hawksley to The Maypole, but am sure it will confuse some people.

Stuart

Did the poster have route numbers on it then?

Yes Simon, just a list of route numbers which change timetable on 01/09/13, plus the number 1 changing terminus in Birmingham.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nitromatt1

Hi Simon,

Would it be possible for the running boards of various routes to be published to us? As it would really help (and interest) me to know which running boards on each route do which departures, which stay on to the evening buses, etc.

For example, the 140/241 gets confusing at peak-time as some running boards don't interwork at Dudley.

Liverpool Street

Hi Simon.

Can I ask where the 61/63 timetable is on the NXWM website? It was advertised on the 1st Sept. changes but now there's no sign of the timetable or the BR changes.

And also what's all this hullabaloo with the 29/A?

And that's for Simon so please don't reply if you're not the OD.

Regards

LS
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

JoNi

Hello again Simon thanks for your reply to my previous questions.

Here a few on day to day experiences when using your buses

1)  When waiting to catch a NXWM bus I reasonably expect the driver to stop where the bus stop flag is when the road is clear.
Curiously in Birmingham this is often at the trailing end of bus shelters making it harder for the passengers to be seen by the driver of the approaching bus and also posing a safety hazard when passengers run between the shelter and  the bus as it moves off with the driver looking in their wing mirror.
The flags are sometimes at the opposite end from the "hole" in the shelter and also in certain cases there are railings under the flag making it physically impossible to board the bus from the shelter.
What is the logic of the layout of the flag being at the trailing end and do you appreciate the inherent safety and visibility issues mentioned above. Are your staff trained to deal with these anomalies.

2) Boarding a NXWM bus has the same allure of many Liverpool off licences as the member of staff is behind a solid screen and in NXWMs case advised you will be prosecuted if you assault the driver. Is this "hard" notice really effective and what is the logic of solid assault screens almost unique to NXWM which makes communication much harder.

3) Have you contemplated introducing cross city services through Central Birmingham giving passengers direct access to and from a wider range of locations. High frequency cross city services work perfectly well in busy places such as Edinburgh.

and finally

4) What benefits do you think could be had by Managers who drive to work undertaking the final part of their journey on NXWM services.
E.G. A manager working at Bordesley could park their car in Nechells, catch the Inner Circle to work and return at night to retrieve it.

JoNi

PM

Quote from: JoNi on August 27, 2013, 10:37:14 PM
Hello again Simon thanks for your reply to my previous questions.

Here a few on day to day experiences when using your buses

1)  When waiting to catch a NXWM bus I reasonably expect the driver to stop where the bus stop flag is when the road is clear.
Curiously in Birmingham this is often at the trailing end of bus shelters making it harder for the passengers to be seen by the driver of the approaching bus and also posing a safety hazard when passengers run between the shelter and  the bus as it moves off with the driver looking in their wing mirror.
The flags are sometimes at the opposite end from the "hole" in the shelter and also in certain cases there are railings under the flag making it physically impossible to board the bus from the shelter.
What is the logic of the layout of the flag being at the trailing end and do you appreciate the inherent safety and visibility issues mentioned above. Are your staff trained to deal with these anomalies.

2) Boarding a NXWM bus has the same allure of many Liverpool off licences as the member of staff is behind a solid screen and in NXWMs case advised you will be prosecuted if you assault the driver. Is this "hard" notice really effective and what is the logic of solid assault screens almost unique to NXWM which makes communication much harder.

3) Have you contemplated introducing cross city services through Central Birmingham giving passengers direct access to and from a wider range of locations. High frequency cross city services work perfectly well in busy places such as Edinburgh.

and finally

4) What benefits do you think could be had by Managers who drive to work undertaking the final part of their journey on NXWM services.
E.G. A manager working at Bordesley could park their car in Nechells, catch the Inner Circle to work and return at night to retrieve it.

JoNi

I think I could answer a few of these using common sense! Assault screens are needed-fact of life-drivers need to be protected in birmingham FACT and many would otherwise feel threatened. Nice idea in theory but in reality removing them is a non starter

Cross city routes are a stupid idea eg 46 due to timekeeping issues in bham city centre but seem to work in wolverhampton. Thinking about it from a money perspective, best to have shorter routes, make people change then pay again. And lol parking a car in Nechells u would probably be catching another bus home as well then lol

trident4370

Hey again Simon, one more question from me, seeing as Christmas is only 4 months away now, will there be any extra buses this Boxing Day or even a full sunday service(maybe finishing at 8pm or something), or is it still in the planning? I think it is under estimated how many people like to "hit the sales" on boxing day and last year all I saw in town were standing loads across the routes, the 29 in particular seemed quite bad as people were being turned away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk