News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

South West Birmingham network review

Started by jnl1984, July 23, 2013, 09:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB93

Any guesses as to where the B7RLE's will end up once the 98 goes double decker? (which it certainly doesn't need in my opinion)
Will they go onto other BC routes or transfer elsewhere? And where are these extra double deckers going to come from? Will it be a swap between garages? B7RLE's for Double Deckers?

Sayeed

Quote from: JB93 on July 28, 2013, 03:53:16 AM
Any guesses as to where the B7RLE's will end up once the 98 goes double decker? (which it certainly doesn't need in my opinion)
Will they go onto other BC routes or transfer elsewhere? And where are these extra double deckers going to come from? Will it be a swap between garages? B7RLE's for Double Deckers?

Probably one of the BC routes will be transformed into SD operation like 59 or 60 routes I can think of.
Век живи - век учись

Sh4318

Personally, I think they'll be cascaded to another garage, like PE, for instance, so some early Mercs could be withdrawn
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Sayeed_M on July 28, 2013, 05:21:42 AM

Probably one of the BC routes will be transformed into SD operation like 59 or 60 routes I can think of.

Doubt it, a Trident very rarely leaves the city without a full seated load on the 60. Possibly the 59 to single deck as some boards take the staff bus anyway, but it'll make more sense to change the 24 to single deck.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Sayeed

Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 28, 2013, 12:02:45 PM

Doubt it, a Trident very rarely leaves the city without a full seated load on the 60. Possibly the 59 to single deck as some boards take the staff bus anyway, but it'll make more sense to change the 24 to single deck.

No way, 24 can't cope with SD. As 24 is my local route and I know that route busy at all times and packed.
Век живи - век учись

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Sayeed_M on July 28, 2013, 02:48:54 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 28, 2013, 12:02:45 PM

No way, 24 can't cope with SD. As 24 is my local route and I know that route busy at all times and packed.

Even though there is numourous buses to go through Harborne? Is it a standing load past Harborne up to Wood gate V. N?

I am familiar with the route but not with loadings.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Sayeed

Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 28, 2013, 02:53:20 PM

Even though there is numourous buses to go through Harborne? Is it a standing load past Harborne up to Wood gate V. N?

Not too sure about the loading but I find it's only use for pupils of Four Dwelling School that travels from Lordswood Rd in the morning. Other than that, route towards the city in the morning, it is really busy despite there is the alternative 10 route that goes directly.
Век живи - век учись

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Sayeed_M on July 28, 2013, 04:15:40 PM

Not too sure about the loading but I find it's only use for pupils of Four Dwelling School that travels from Lordswood Rd in the morning. Other than that, route towards the city in the morning, it is really busy despite there is the alternative 10 route that goes directly.

Is that WMSNT offering?

Is the 22/23/24/29/29A timed so there is a service to Harborne every few minutes from the City? It should be, if not already...
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 28, 2013, 07:10:29 PM
Quote from: Sayeed_M on July 28, 2013, 04:15:40 PM

Is that WMSNT offering?

Is the 22/23/24/29/29A timed so there is a service to Harborne every few minutes from the City? It should be, if not already...

The timetables don't all fit in with one another as the 22/23 is every 7/8 mins and the 24 and 29/A each every 10 mins but you'll never wait more than 3 or 4 minutes for one.

The 10 is just too infrequent these days (and not much quicker with Augustus Road being a rat run) to make it a viable alternative. A pity, in it's heyday it was every 15 mins and ran all day including Sundays.

Ex BC driver

The single decks off the 98 will probably go in the 29/29A if the 29A is being extended

monkeyjoe

They could possibly go onto something like the 90 maybe.

JB93

I think converting any other BC routes to single deck would be a struggle to be honest, they're all pretty busy but I'd say the 24 or 56/90 if anything - if the 29 can cope with single deckers I'm sure the 24 can. I just don't understand why they're converting the 98 to double deck. It really doesn't need it, every time I see it pull away from the Square Peg you can count the amount of passengers on one hand.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: JB93 on July 29, 2013, 02:56:40 PM
I think converting any other BC routes to single deck would be a struggle to be honest, they're all pretty busy but I'd say the 24 or 56/90 if anything - if the 29 can cope with single deckers I'm sure the 24 can. I just don't understand why they're converting the 98 to double deck. It really doesn't need it, every time I see it pull away from the Square Peg you can count the amount of passengers on one hand.

There could be a decrease in frequency? Remember the 98 interworks with the x64 and the x64 can get pretty busy.

The idea could get scrapped I guess by September? Never made any sense to me either to get the 98 doubles, unless they'll make it the 62 and operate the full Bristol Road, and then change the x64 to go via the hospital? Make sense if they're curtailing yje x64 anyway, it wouldn't make any money if it still goes down the Bristol Road 'limitedly'
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: JB93 on July 29, 2013, 02:56:40 PM

The conversion of the 29 to single deck coincided with an increase in frequency to every 10 mins at the last SW Birmingham review. It copes ok with single decks off peak during the week but can get pretty full in rush hour and on Saturdays. A slightly delayed bus is soon wedged to capacity.

Incidentally why are single deckers on the 29 so rigidly enforced? In all the time since it was converted I've seen only one double decker on there, an ex LH 446x Trident, and that was some time ago. Are there any issues with trees around Black Haynes Rd / Swarthmore Rd?

Ex BC driver

I know the school working in the afternoon can sometimes be a double decker, however it starts at Shenley Academy.
Some ex Selly Oak drivers told me that the number 12 would go down Swarthmore/ Black Haynes and they used to be double deckers. I used to hate duty 18, 14:35 off Snow Hill, so by the time you get to outside Northfield Manor School the parents are parking on both sides of the road, add to that the bus in front going the other way and you'll be stuck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk