News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Coventry Transport Dude on September 22, 2018, 09:58:50 PM
The "MORRISSEY" song "PANIC ON THE STREETS OF LONDON" came to mind today, but the panic was today in Coventry and not in London, as there was absolute chaos and gridlock all over Coventry City Centre for a couple of hours this afternoon, with Buses coming from here, there and everywhere, in all directions and everyone of them must have been running really really late by the time they eventually got out of Town ? (Some even ended up running in the wrong direction, just to try and get out !lol).  Reason being for all this, was that hundreds (if not thousands ?) of Students had all started to arrive at Coventry University and were all turning up with their bags and cases, so as to check in to their City Centre accommodation.  At least 90% of them must have been being dropped off by their parents and so there were Cars parked everywhere, which included the whole length of the Taxi Rank in Hales Street and especially on both sides of the road in Tower Street, which really was the main cause of the whole fiasco, as it made the road very narrow and unfortunately for single file traffic only !  Buses and other traffic heading up Bishop Street towards it, just couldn't hardly move and if they did, it was at a snails pace ?lol.  With Bishop Street bumper to bumper with traffic, that then went all the back back down into The Burges, up and around into Trinity Street, under the Whittle Arches and down both Fairfax Street and up past White Street Coach Park !  Buses were then struggling to get either in or out of Pool Meadow and it seemed to get even worse afterwards, as Buses were told to avoid certain roads in Town and to just use the Ring Road instead to get to their intended stop in Pool Meadow or Trinity Street and to use it again when leaving Town ? (Corporation Street and Hales Street were also badly affected by it all to, as traffic coming down there had to try and cut through the middle of it all !).  The Ring Road itself then became full of bumper to bumper traffic, both coming down the slip road towards either Pool Meadow, or beyond that and on under the Whittle Arches !  Going up onto the top of the Ring Road was also just as bad and there were literally Buses everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.  What was so annoying about it all was, that there wasn't a single Copper or Traffic Warden around anywhere to help sort this mess out, not one at all and i just felt so sorry for all the West Midlands and Stagecoach Drivers etc...., who happened to be caught up in this complete mess !  All the Drivers could do today, was to either sit there shaking their head, blow their horn continuously, or to just grin and bare the whole thing ???lol.

Ahem... and Diamond lol

I managed to get out of Coventry about 35-40 mins late. It was crazy!

JoNi

In response to quote! This will happen every year so you would expect the University to take the initiative to give them directions or manage their arrivals. Due to length of courses the best part of 50% are likely to be unfamiliar with the city at the start of the first term each year. At the very least I'd expect TfWM to make representations on behalf of the bus operators. A friend put it more succinctly "The stupid bloody students all came back at once so it was absolutely ridiculous and total chaos" I accept they act as a lifeblood to the City Centre and I've personally benefited from Sainsburys being open until 10pm.

Solo1

I thought uni had already started back

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on September 23, 2018, 09:25:35 AM
In response to quote! This will happen every year so you would expect the University to take the initiative to give them directions or manage their arrivals. Due to length of courses the best part of 50% are likely to be unfamiliar with the city at the start of the first term each year. At the very least I'd expect TfWM to make representations on behalf of the bus operators. A friend put it more succinctly "The stupid bloody students all came back at once so it was absolutely ridiculous and total chaos" I accept they act as a lifeblood to the City Centre and I've personally benefited from Sainsburys being open until 10pm.

I don't suppose many drivers are overly familiar with the Ring Road (which can be interesting to watch!). I drove towards the anti-clockwise section from Binley Road/Sky Blue Way - which was probably a mistake, and cars were moving from one lane to another. Noticed some buses seemed to be well 'off route' then. Don't think buses drivers were too pleased about Hales St being blocked off by parked cars.

JoNi

When I boarded a number 11 yesterday (4211!) two foreign students who got in front of me didnt know how to board a National Express bus. They had no change so paid for two £4 day tickets with a £10 note. I'm a bit slow on the uptake so it only occurred to me later  they could have used a contactless bank card. In this brave new technological era of Contactless travel can you use any contactless bank card from foreign climes on NX buses?

MW

Quote from: JoNi on September 23, 2018, 11:33:53 AM
When I boarded a number 11 yesterday (4211!) two foreign students who got in front of me didnt know how to board a National Express bus. They had no change so paid for two £4 day tickets with a £10 note. I'm a bit slow on the uptake so it only occurred to me later  they could have used a contactless bank card. In this brave new technological era of Contactless travel can you use any contactless bank card from foreign climes on NX buses?

Should at least be able to use anything that's Visa or MasterCard

JPC

Although the existing Warwick University Term Time timeable resumes today/tomorrow a new timetable is [quietly?] being introduced from next Sunday
11 ... Mon-Sat daytimes becomes a 20 minute frequency
11U/E ... to run at peaks and fringes only
12X ... Mon-Fri daytimes to run at "frequent intervals", [more frequent?]

With all the to-ing and fro-ing of timetables on these routes they ought to prioritise the provision of electronic departure screens at every stop.  ::)

Quote from: JPC on September 23, 2018, 08:51:45 PM
Although the existing Warwick University Term Time timeable resumes today/tomorrow a new timetable is [quietly?] being introduced from next Sunday
11 ... Mon-Sat daytimes becomes a 20 minute frequency
11U/E ... to run at peaks and fringes only
12X ... Mon-Fri daytimes to run at "frequent intervals", [more frequent?]

With all the to-ing and fro-ing of timetables on these routes they ought to prioritise the provision of electronic departure screens at every stop.  ::)
New Timetable is here - http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/XSLT_TTB_REQUEST?language=en&command=direct&net=cen&line=41011&sup=C&itdLPxx_direction=H&project=y11&outputFormat=0&itdLPxx_displayHeader=false&itdLPxx_sessionID=CEN_EFA03_60502710&lineVer=16&itdLPxx_spTr=16&itdLPxx_operatorCodeForTTB=TCV
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on September 23, 2018, 08:51:45 PM

Good idea. Trouble is bus stop management in Coventry is controlled by Transport for West Mids in Birmingham (or whatever they are called this week) and they have not got a clue about what is happening at Coventry's bus stops.

JoNi

New 11/U/12X , 16/A and 20 group timetables in Pool Meadow Travel Centre for any Dudes that want to pick them up.

Coventry Transport Dude

"THANK YOU" for the heads up on that JoNi, as i'll call in there next week and pick them up !

JoNi

4881 in overall advert for Resorts World is on the 8

JoNi

Bus stops in Pool Meadow have reverted to their original stops with all Warwick University buses 11, 12X going from stand S and Station buses 8/A, 9/A going from stand R. 585 returns to Q. Communicating this appears to be beyond TfWM as there is no notice board or messages on real time signs.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JoNi on October 28, 2018, 11:21:11 AM
Communicating this appears to be beyond TfWM as there is no notice board or messages on real time signs.
isnt this and other bus stop updates all controlled by some office in Brum and they just have not got a clue about what happens on Coventry? Do they know where Coventry is? Bet Coventry council pays them a fortune to do this but it does not happen = nice little earner?

CL

Just spotted 1687 going down Coventry Road towards Heybarnes Circus
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk