News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NXWM 1 September 2013 changes

Started by lynx1103, July 09, 2013, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2013, 10:21:02 AM
Always struggled to understand why the 1 does that, so tantalisingly close to the city centre. Still, prefer Sheepcote st to Five Ways, that's even weirder in my eyes

At present, there are three variations of the 1:

1 - Acocks Green to Birmingham Town Hall:
Monday-Friday off-peak, all day Saturday and Sunday.

1E - Acocks Green to Five Ways:
Monday-Friday peak times. Turns around before Five Ways island from Harborne Road straight onto Calthorpe Road.
This is done to avoid buses getting stuck in congestion around Five Ways island and Paradise Circus during rush hour times.

1E - Acocks Green to Broad Street:
Every evening (including Friday and Saturday, when no other bus serves Broad Street). Turns around on Sheepcote Street.
This is done to enable just two buses to be used in the evenings, on a half-hourly frequency. There is only a short lay-over time in Acocks Green, and both buses have to put their foot down to keep time as it is. The town hall might seem 'tantalisingly close' to the Sheepcote Street stop, but those extra minutes required to travel there and back would need an extra bus to maintain the service level, plus a longer layover time.

Logically then, it would make sense to curtail the service permanently to the Broad Street terminus, keeping the peak short journeys to Five Ways, at least then passengers from the Town Hall / Paradise Circus end can catch another Broad Street service and then change and connect at the Sheepcote Street stop on Broad Street.

However if NXWM are looking to decrease the PVR on the 1, and to improve reliability and timekeeping, it wouldn't surprise me if the service is permanently curtailed to the present peak-time terminus near Five Ways. Passengers towards Paradise Circus and Broad Street would then have to change onto the 22, 23 or 24 outside Morrisons to continue their journey, and likewise in reverse for the return journey.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on August 10, 2013, 06:34:57 PMboth buses have to put their foot down to keep time as it is....

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

I wonder what our Friend Simon has to say about that?

and on that note..
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on August 10, 2013, 08:50:27 PM
Quote from: Stu on August 10, 2013, 06:34:57 PMboth buses have to put their foot down to keep time as it is....

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Might not be "the NX way", but the way they timetable their evening/Sunday services they need to put their foot down in order to keep to time. The 9, 246 and 244 are all prime examples of this, drivers are given just 55 minutes to do the full 9, 25 minutes to do the full 246 and 23 minutes to do Dudley - Halesowen on the 244.

I'm not complaining though, of course! On that note, I'm off for a 9 thrash ;)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 10, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Might not be "the NX way", but the way they timetable their evening/Sunday services they need to put their foot down in order to keep to time. The 9, 246 and 244 are all prime examples of this, drivers are given just 55 minutes to do the full 9, 25 minutes to do the full 246 and 23 minutes to do Dudley - Halesowen on the 244.

I want Simons opinion of drivers breaking the law whilst in a company vehicle.

You people know the speed limit is the law, no?
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on August 10, 2013, 09:00:52 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Of course it's the law, but this is the real world. Drivers will put their foot down if it looks like they're going to run late. If NX don't want this then they should give their drivers more time.

Nathan4775

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

But what happens to the driver if he's late ?
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Nathan on August 10, 2013, 09:05:09 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Nothing. Claim overtime.
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on August 10, 2013, 09:13:06 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Nothing. Claim overtime.

Then you'd expect drivers to drive slowly/leave late in order to be late and be able to claim extra overtime

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 10, 2013, 09:15:21 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Nothing. Claim overtime.

Then you'd expect drivers to drive slowly/leave late in order to be late and be able to claim extra overtime

No, then it'll be disruption of service.

You should leave on time if you're able to do so. Drive to company standards throughout the journey and if you're late, then claim away.
until it cought fire

vinh1000

Quote from: Liverpool Street on August 10, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 10, 2013, 09:15:21 PM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

Nothing. Claim overtime.

No, then it'll be disruption of service.

You should leave on time if you're able to do so. Drive to company standards throughout the journey and if you're late, then claim away.

I found that on my local route a few times when the bus in front is late if it is one of the drivers on he just sits back permanently behind the bus in front (ie no passengers) so he can claim overtime (lost a whole trip cause of it!)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Stu

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

First of all, I never stated that drivers break the speed limit on the 1 in order to keep time; by 'put their foot down' I simply meant that they have to drive 'less casually' than usual, which they can do during the day when the service has a longer running time.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on August 11, 2013, 10:43:07 AM

Tut tut tut.

That's not the NX way.

and on that note..

First of all, I never stated that drivers break the speed limit on the 1 in order to keep time; by 'put their foot down' I simply meant that they have to drive 'less casually' than usual, which they can do during the day when the service has a longer running time.

Define 'less casually' please. Is that, not slowing down for green lights? Not anticipating others intentions? Please elaborate.

If you hold a PCV licence you'll know of the following:

1) Passenger Safety & Comfort
2) Fuel Economy & Vehicle Sympathy

Time tables are really just a way for the TC to monitor the volume of journeys etc are/have been operated. Also for Centro payments and suchlike.

Now if all drivers drove to A standard, all services will be late and then something will have to be done about the timings. Not all routes are poor with times but a lot are.

But they'll rarely give you too much time though as they'd rather services too late then early.

Its odd to see so many buses speeding as I'm sure the drivers never did that on their tests. And what would the GM say about it of an accident occurred. And recall, there is a little device of which measures all parameters of the journey. You'll be bang to rights if an incident were to happen.
until it cought fire

Kevin

Just looking at the list of changes, and one thing I couldn't help noticing was about the X56. Despite what's been said on here it states "no change to timetable" and doesn't mention anything about a route change. Anyone know anything more / care to elaborate?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Nathan4775

Quote from: Kevin on August 11, 2013, 02:41:58 PM
Just looking at the list of changes, and one thing I couldn't help noticing was about the X56. Despite what's been said on here it states "no change to timetable" and doesn't mention anything about a route change. Anyone know anything more / care to elaborate?

The X56 only does one AM journey and one PM journey, an carries a small amount of people ? that could probably be the reason, or it doesn't require an extra journey ? I could be wrong
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Kevin

Quote from: Nathan on August 11, 2013, 05:56:47 PM
Quote from: Kevin on August 11, 2013, 02:41:58 PM

The X56 only does one AM journey and one PM journey, an carries a small amount of people ? that could probably be the reason, or it doesn't require an extra journey ? I could be wrong

Valid, but someone on here (possibly even Tony, can't be bothered to look through it all on me phone to find out) mentioned NX running more journeys, and routing it via Scott Arms and the A34 as per the X51
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk