News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH25

just my two cents

surely you don't need to change any of the routes and just add a peak time X20 service similar to the current 936/937 set up

Steve3229vp

Quote from: OH25 on March 05, 2022, 09:27:04 AM
just my two cents

surely you don't need to change any of the routes and just add a peak time X20 service similar to the current 936/937 set up
936's aren't added in peaks, they run instead of 934's

Kevin

Quote from: OH25 on March 05, 2022, 09:27:04 AM
just my two cents

I always thought the people of Bartley Green were in uproar at the effective cut back in service from the old 22 to the new X22, so would have thought if anything then just up the frequency of the X22 (unless of course, people at the time were moaning for the sake of moaning when something changed, but that never happens does it?....)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

Both the X21 and X22 should've been upped to every 15 mins when the X20 disappeared to be honest.  It was always going to get busier once the students returned to the Uni.
Can't see it happening though
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 05, 2022, 05:42:07 PM
Both the X21 and X22 should've been upped to every 15 mins when the X20 disappeared to be honest.  It was always going to get busier once the students returned to the Uni.
Can't see it happening though

At the time those changes were made, you have to remember that passenger levels were vastly reduced, also due to lockdown measures, most students were studying at home with lectures/lessons being held remotely.

Tony has already suggested here that NX are keen to increase frequencies on some routes now, however it is continuing driver shortages that are holding this back. While he's not able to specifically confirm, the 'hint' is that the X21 and X22 will be two of these due for an increase. But I suspect this would only be required during peak times, and NX themselves will have loading data to justify this.

Current capacity/overcrowding issues on these services are probably not helped by ongoing train service cancellations / reduced frequency on the CrossCity line. Where passengers who may use the train find themselves having to use the bus instead to get from city centre to University station.

And traffic congestion around the city centre area isn't helping with bus service reliability either, which causes gaps in service to appear and then exacerbates the capacity/overcrowding problems.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on March 05, 2022, 06:55:44 PM
Current capacity/overcrowding issues on these services are probably not helped by ongoing train service cancellations / reduced frequency on the CrossCity line. Where passengers who may use the train find themselves having to use the bus instead to get from city centre to University station.
It always used to be a busy service. With the X20 pre covid all the buses used to be full with people going to the Hospital and University, school times, etc. So I think it was certainly a strange decision to cut it back permanently without increasing the X21/X22.
The train service is also still running as far as I know, so i'm not sure that would wholly be the problem. 

Also on the Coventry Rd corridor I wonder how these (X1/X2's) will run once the sprint service starts and what frequency in the summer? Presumably they will be more reliable to and serving the new stop at Small Heath Station to.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on March 05, 2022, 07:11:54 PM
It always used to be a busy service. With the X20 pre covid all the buses used to be full with people going to the Hospital and University, school times, etc. So I think it was certainly a strange decision to cut it back permanently without increasing the X21/X22.
The train service is also still running as far as I know, so i'm not sure that would wholly be the problem.

A lot of bus services were busy 'pre-Covid'. During the pandemic, many became 'less busy'.

Government support can only go so far though. It doesn't seem to me to be a 'strange decision' to cut back those services, if the passenger demand wasn't there to justify the frequencies being operated.

And yes, the train service is still running, but as I pointed out, sporadic cancellations, and a reduced frequency, will see more train users heading for the bus instead.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on March 05, 2022, 06:55:44 PM
At the time those changes were made, you have to remember that passenger levels were vastly reduced, also due to lockdown measures, most students were studying at home with lectures/lessons being held remotely.

Tony has already suggested here that NX are keen to increase frequencies on some routes now, however it is continuing driver shortages that are holding this back. While he's not able to specifically confirm, the 'hint' is that the X21 and X22 will be two of these due for an increase. But I suspect this would only be required during peak times, and NX themselves will have loading data to justify this.

And traffic congestion around the city centre area isn't helping with bus service reliability either, which causes gaps in service to appear and then exacerbates the capacity/overcrowding problems.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I said when the students went back. But obviously at the time passenger levels were nowhere near normal so I can understand the caution.

They were generally busy before the pandemic anyway to be fair, trains or not.

Trident 4194

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 05, 2022, 07:47:06 PM
Yeah, I know. Which is why I said when the students went back. But obviously at the time passenger levels were nowhere near normal so I can understand the caution.

They were generally busy before the pandemic anyway to be fair, trains or not.

As a regular on the X21 and X22, I must say the X21 from Weoley castle to university is far busier than the x22 gets between Bartley green and university. Whenever I catch these services out of Birmingham regardless of the time of the day they are usually pretty much full by the 3rd stop out of Birmingham.

mesub

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 05, 2022, 10:26:38 PM
As a regular on the X21 and X22, I must say the X21 from Weoley castle to university is far busier than the x22 gets between Bartley green and university. Whenever I catch these services out of Birmingham regardless of the time of the day they are usually pretty much full by the 3rd stop out of Birmingham.

To be fair, the X21 has a wider area to serve than the X22 which is most likely why.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

monkeyjoe

Quote from: mesub on March 05, 2022, 10:28:28 PM
To be fair, the X21 has a wider area to serve than the X22 which is most likely why.

Well must say the people in these areas may have quicker routes but deteriorating levels of services over the years. I get it's to do with changing habits bla bla.
22 was every 15 mins
21 every 15 mins
29 was 10 mins etc

MasterPlan

Quote from: mesub on March 05, 2022, 10:28:28 PM

What makes you say that? It serves more of Bartley Green, Kitwell and the Quinton Road which was well served by the 29.

Sayeed

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 06, 2022, 05:17:15 AM
Well must say the people in these areas may have quicker routes but deteriorating levels of services over the years. I get it's to do with changing habits bla bla.
22 was every 15 mins
21 every 15 mins
29 was 10 mins etc

It is doing well during the peak hours but daytime, it is kind of a dead. It might be worth trying to split and send half through Harborne High St to make good use out of it just for the daytime.
Век живи - век учись

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 06, 2022, 05:17:15 AM
22 was every 15 mins
21 every 15 mins
29 was 10 mins etc
I think the 23 increased in frequency as well when the 22 was withdrawn to maintain the frequency.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Sayeed on March 06, 2022, 01:42:58 PM
It is doing well during the peak hours but daytime, it is kind of a dead. It might be worth trying to split and send half through Harborne High St to make good use out of it just for the daytime.

What route are you talking about here?

Quote from: 2206 on March 06, 2022, 02:07:42 PM
I think the 23 increased in frequency as well when the 22 was withdrawn to maintain the frequency.

Yes it was, but obviously there are parts of the 22 the 23 didn't and still doesn't serve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk