News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus Conductors on West Midlands Buses

Started by Stuharris 6360, June 26, 2013, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 26, 2013, 01:39:58 PM
Surprised that nobody has commented on this article from the Express & Star

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport-news/2013/06/25/conductors-set-to-be-back-on-west-midlands-buses/

Already seen it, hope they don't do it, would be an unnecessary waste of resources and space on the bus

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 26, 2013, 01:39:58 PM
Surprised that nobody has commented on this article from the Express & Star

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport-news/2013/06/25/conductors-set-to-be-back-on-west-midlands-buses/

I saw it yesterday & was going to post the link, but got side tracked....... they have increased the number of staff for the Safer travel team, they may well increase the number of stop checks. But can't see conductors being brought back en masse otherwise bus fares will rocket....  they may target hot spots with undercover police from the safer travel team or employ further inspectors, but that will be about it

I remember a few years ago on the Wolverhampton night bus services, the local nightclubs contributed to the cost of having bouncers on each bus and I don't remember seeing any issues on the ones I used

Liverpool Street

Whilst they're there they might as well bring back the old Birmingham Guy's!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

mikestone

I don't see anyone from either centro or an operator suggesting that they are actually considering conductors, only a request from a councillor.

Dylan4579

Quote from: mikestone on June 26, 2013, 08:45:39 PM
I don't see anyone from either centro or an operator suggesting that they are actually considering conductors, only a request from a councillor.
local rag to you

JB93

I'd support it completely. I've been on many, many buses where idiots have just got on and not paid, or are blasting music, or don't take their ticket. If, NXWM particularly as they're the biggest operator, had a conductor on at least the most notorious routes it would help. They're less likely to cause trouble if there's a member of staff there watching them, whereas at the moment most drivers don't seem to do anything to stop these kids (and that's not a dig at drivers, I have a great amount of respect for them) but the fact of the matter is too many people get away with fare-dodging, or vandalism, or bothering other passengers. Money well spent, I'd say.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: JB93 on June 27, 2013, 12:31:23 PM
I'd support it completely. I've been on many, many buses where idiots have just got on and not paid, or are blasting music, or don't take their ticket. If, NXWM particularly as they're the biggest operator, had a conductor on at least the most notorious routes it would help. They're less likely to cause trouble if there's a member of staff there watching them, whereas at the moment most drivers don't seem to do anything to stop these kids (and that's not a dig at drivers, I have a great amount of respect for them) but the fact of the matter is too many people get away with fare-dodging, or vandalism, or bothering other passengers. Money well spent, I'd say.

Indeed! But the only way it'll work is if 100% of that service has conductors. (Will drivers still issue tickets?)

It will fail on its arse they said, for instance, every other vehicle will have a conductor on board.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Childhood relived haha
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Kevin_Brum12

It simply is unviable to put conductors back onto West Midlands buses.   To start with you would be looking at doubling the staffing complement, for every driver you would need a conductor.   Then there is the question of whether you would want conductors to handle cash and give out change.   One of the reasons conductors were dispensed with by WMPTE in the 1970's was the frequency of attacks on them for their cashbag - and a look through any newspaper archive from the period will record plenty of stories of robberies for cash.   

People point to their use in London, but of course public money is sloshing into TfL like it is going out of fashion.  When the reality check kicks in then they will have to look at saving money.  With Oystercards and Travelcards being used by the majority of passengers what is the point of paying someone to go round collecting fares?

Quote from: JB93 on June 27, 2013, 12:31:23 PM

So have I, but I have been on trains which have conductors who do diddly squat apart from sitting in the back cab (the Cross City and Chiltern from Leamington Spa being the worst.)   This is not money well spent, though I accept there are reasons way some rail staff do not feel comfortable on certain services.

Councillors and the media may think conductors are a good idea, but if they do not add value they are a non-starter.  And many of those arguing for their re-introduction would not be happy if the quid pro quo was a series of service cutbacks so severe that it led to buses only operating during daytime hours and never on Sundays, which of course is the situation in many places outside of the West Midlands conurbation.

Westy

The dodgy services deffo, not every one!

vinh1000

Ive not seen a conductor do a ticket check on Cross City line for years (UNLESS it is outside of NWM region ie Lichfield or Redditch then it is done)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

mikestone

The rarity of ticket checking inside the PTE area makes me wonder if guards are told not to bother, as it saves LM having to pay commission and the financial loss is the PTE's anyway?

Tony

Quote from: vinh1000 on June 29, 2013, 03:49:53 PM
Ive not seen a conductor do a ticket check on Cross City line for years (UNLESS it is outside of NWM region ie Lichfield or Redditch then it is done)

Well my ticket was checked between Erdington and New Street today, biggest problem on the Cross City is stations are only two minutes apart with the conductor also having to do the doors. I have also had RPIs check my ticket on the south side a few times finding people to penalty fare

Dylan4579

Bad idea; Money can be spent on better stuff than the 'new bus for birimgham'. What should happen is more safer travel police teams on buses

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2013, 08:22:26 PM
Quote from: vinh1000 on June 29, 2013, 03:49:53 PM

Well my ticket was checked between Erdington and New Street today, biggest problem on the Cross City is stations are only two minutes apart with the conductor also having to do the doors. I have also had RPIs check my ticket on the south side a few times finding people to penalty fare
Am I right in thinking because of short time it can only be done at non-peak periods?? and I presume it is compulsory for them to check outside of PTE?
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk