News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Omnibus Society

Started by wbdriver, April 20, 2013, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdriver

We had a visit at WB this morning from the Omnibus Society, lot of people taking photos and a tour of the garage.

If you were one of those present, i hope you enjoyed your visit and got good photos, especially of 4083, the bus i positioned for you.

question is, who here is a member?

an empty bus is a happy driver.

Trident 4609

Yes they Visited WN Garage aswell as i was being taken on a tour of WN garage.

They transported them with WN B5 5510
There were 20-30 of them taking photos on Pipers Row outside Wolverhampton Bus Station while i was.

arrifirststage

I have been an OS member for almost 60 years.
I would thoroughly recommend membership to any SERIOUS enthusiasts,since they cater for anyone with an interest in the history and development of ALL operators,particularly the operational side,ie routes etc,
Anyone who is primarily interested in just the vehicles,or simply a spotter,would be wise to join the PSV CIRCLE,because their primary interest is vehicles.

Justin Tyme

I'm an Omnibus Society member too.  I thoroughly recommend it for knowing what's going on, both locally and nationwide.

I was on today's visit, and we had a very good and friendly welcome at West Brom.  I failed to take any photos at WB (aargh) due to talking to our guides there, but just about everyone else did.  So thanks wbdriver - I know our folks were grateful for you positioning 4083 - and thanks to your colleagues.  In fact our bus for the day - 5510 - was driven by another West Brom driver.  He'd got himself type trained on a hybrid and even set up a special Omnibus Society display on the blind - a nice touch!

We went on to Walsall and Park Lane garages, then Arriva's Wednesfield garage, and had breaks in Wolverhampton and West Bromwich during the day to observe vehicles on the road.  A very good day.

Trident 4609

Justin, Were you taking photos On Pipers Row outside Wolverhampton?

I was a young lad with a red jumper and a camera phone.

I took a photo of 5510 with all the members aboard.

Also when you pulled onto Park Lane i was the same boy on a tour of WN garage.

PS at WN garage if you noticed 5418 with Route 3 on the blinds i programmed it in!

D10

I am a member. I would especially recommend joining if you are interested in routes as they keep full details of all service changes to form an unrivalled historical record. You get a magazine every two months, which in respect of Service Changes covers the whole country. But there are also more detailed monthly regional journals from your branch, plus the option to receive the journals from other branches.

Also they have  a good second hand book service (OSMart) which you get a change to buy stuff from before the general public

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Trident 4609 on April 20, 2013, 08:53:34 PM

PS at WN garage if you noticed 5418 with Route 3 on the blinds i programmed it in!

I was only in Pipers Row for a short time, and didn't take photos there.  Unlike the others I only had a camera phone today.   I went into the city centre and spent time at Queen Square.  I think I might have seen you, though, and I certainly saw 5418 at PL with route 3 on the blinds!

BCMobile

How much will it cost to join?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Justin Tyme on April 20, 2013, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on April 20, 2013, 08:53:34 PM

Well i was the boy infront of 5418! I changed the destination display to routes that will probably hardly get hybrids! Hence why i put Route 3 up on there!

I was only in Pipers Row for a short time, and didn't take photos there.  Unlike the others I only had a camera phone today.   I went into the city centre and spent time at Queen Square.  I think I might have seen you, though, and I certainly saw 5418 at PL with route 3 on the blinds!

D10

Justin Tyme

Quote from: D10 on April 21, 2013, 10:38:47 AM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 20, 2013, 10:40:43 PM
How much will it cost to join?

All the details are here:

http://omnibussoc.org/AboutUs/BecomingaMember/tabid/97/Default.aspx

Further to this, basic membership gives access to all meetings and visits nationwide, access to our national library (which is in Walsall) and you get the Omnibus Magazine every two months.

You'll see that optional add-ons include Branch membership.  The Midland Branch (covering the West and East Midlands, and the Branch that organised yesterday's visit) produces a monthly Bulletin, covering all known route changes by all operators, plus additional notes and short Vehicle Notes column.  April's Bulletin had 16 pages - a typical size.  The add-on for this is £6.50 for this year.

More information on the Midland Branch is is available from http://omnibussoc.org/AboutUs/BecomingaMember/tabid/97/Default.aspx by clicking on 'Branches' then 'Midland'.  The website is being revamped (refurbished, you could say) later this year to make more items available online.

vinh1000

ooh

Not a member?

You are most welcome to try us.  You can come to one meeting or visit without obligation.  There is no pre-booking for meetings, but visits need to be pre-booked - please e-mail us one month before the date of the visit and we will send you a booking form. Please note that it is necessary to book in advance for all visits (whether you are a member or not).
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Kevin

Think I've heard of this society before, but it might have only been in a passing glance while at a museum or something, tempted to join up
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Justin Tyme

The Midland Branch of the Omnibus Society produces a Bulletin each month, giving details of all known route changes and details of more visits this year.

If you would like to see the April issue, please email us at  osmidland@gmail.com and we'll send you one.

arrifirststage

Further to this..........I have quite a collection of Omnibus Society publications for disposal because I am trying to downsize.

The Omnibus Magazine from April/May 2013 back to December 1953

Midland Branch Bulletins from June 2012 back to January 1989

South Wales & West Branch Bulletins July 2012 back to February.1999.

This actually amounts to quite a weight of paper and would have to be collected,not posted.
Any serious enthusiast will find this fascinating,covering the country,not just the midlands.
If any Forum member is interested,my email address is in my profile,and collection would be from Sutton Coldfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk