News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Request Stop

Started by Ash, March 12, 2013, 11:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

I understand that if you want a request stop you have to inform the conductor or train crew for the train to stop at the station. How do the people boarding at the request stop get the train to stop at their station is it done by someone at the ticket office who contacts the train to ensure it stops?

Sh4318

Quote from: Ash on March 12, 2013, 11:43:01 PM
I understand that if you want a request stop you have to inform the conductor or train crew for the train to stop at the station. How do the people boarding at the request stop get the train to stop at their station is it done by someone at the ticket office who contacts the train to ensure it stops?

The train slows as it reaches the station and if somebody wants to board the train they hail it as they would a bus
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

Quote from: Shaun on March 12, 2013, 11:49:50 PM
The train slows as it reaches the station and if somebody wants to board the train they hail it as they would a bus

...which is a very weird experience
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Solo1

This happens on the stratford on Avon line
They may b others in the west midlands

Sh4318

Quote from: Solo1 on March 13, 2013, 01:24:16 PM
This happens on the stratford on Avon line
They may b others in the west midlands

The Shakespeare line has a few request stops, as well as the Cambrian Line (to Pwlheli) and the local service between Shrewsbury and Crewe, request stops are marked with an 'x' next to the time of arrival in timetables
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Ash

Quote from: Shaun on March 12, 2013, 11:49:50 PM
Quote from: Ash on March 12, 2013, 11:43:01 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Gareth

I used to work in Wootton Wawen. The station (I say station, its actually just platform and used to be called Wootton Wawen halt) That is a request stop. Hailing a train was never a problem, they would always stop for you. It was always concerning if the conductor hadn't come round to you by Shirley! Only twice in 3 years I boarded and there was no conductor, and ended up at the stop after. Not fun when you are ina hurry for work, or if it was the last train of the evening!

windy miller

Many of the stops on the line north of Inverness have the same arrangement I visited a Distillery in an area known as "The black Isle" Its only a single line and you could have a 3 hour wait if youv'e missed it! But god knows how you are expected to be seen in pitch darkness when there are no platform lights. On the subject of remote scottish rail stations I think some of the North perthshire stations have been refurbished and Equiped with Solar powered roofing panels to provide some illumination on the platform/toilets ect. good Idea?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Ash

They have just on about the request stops on the Scottish railways on that BBC2 Keeping Britain on track programme.

nitromatt1

There are two request stops on the Severn Valley Railway. You just flag it down with an arm as you would a bus. The trains slow on approach in anticipation of a possible stop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk