News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Trident 4609

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 07, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
I have noticed very slight Metrobus-like sounds in E400Hs

Really ? I think they still have the classic trident whining noise.

nitromatt1

Quote from: Trident 4609 on June 07, 2013, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 07, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
I have noticed very slight Metrobus-like sounds in E400Hs

Really ? I think they still have the classic trident whining noise.

Yes they do have that too but going on Metrobuses almost every day I notice very subtle noises which remind me of those in an E400H (when pulling off from standstill). Only very slight ;)

Trident 4609

Your a very good listner then. I never thought that so i will listen out for it on the 1 tommorow

nitromatt1

Quote from: Trident 4609 on June 07, 2013, 06:55:35 PM
Your a very good listner then. I never thought that so i will listen out for it on the 1 tommorow

Well I'm not sure if you would notice it as you haven't been on a Metrobus in a long time. It's very, very subtle whistling noises made when first pulling off

Trident 4609

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 07, 2013, 06:58:27 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on June 07, 2013, 06:55:35 PM

Well I'm not sure if you would notice it as you haven't been on a Metrobus in a long time. It's very, very subtle whistling noises made when first pulling off

I can just about tell which noises you mean. Yes it does but ever so slightly

lynx1103

How many hybrids are now allocated to WN 59

I saw 5 yesterday and 5 on today

nitromatt1

Quote from: lynx1103 on June 18, 2013, 01:38:21 PM

There are only meant to be a maximum of 3 on the 59, as the remaining 18 fill the PVR of the 1. If there are 5 on today, then there must be at least 2 non-hybrids on the 1

Trident 4609

Quote from: lynx1103 on June 18, 2013, 01:38:21 PM

There should be 2-3 Mon-Fri, 3 Sat and 3-4 on sundays but as i've noticed on the 59, all 5510-14 are on there yesterday and today.

Trident 4609

The 1 has finally gone back to fully hybrid after 2 days of a couple of tridents on the 1 with 5 B5's on the 59.

Only 2 B5's on the 59 today with 5514 on the 1

Stuharris 6360

Been in London to see the start of the New Bus For London on its first route 24 (well done whoever produced the number plates for them with incorrect spacing), which gave me the chance to ride on a number of TFLs Hybrid buses.

Despite the Enviro 400 being the main ordinary bus in London, it seems that Wright Gemini 2 is the most popular Hybrid bus.

The London examples, although obviously different in seating capacity & the middle door seem much quicker than there west midland counterparts, they are also fitted with air conditioning!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nitromatt1

It's not difficult to be quicker than a NXWM B5 lol, most Tridents are

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 22, 2013, 07:15:32 PM
It's not difficult to be quicker than a NXWM B5 lol, most Tridents are

I would put money on the fact that if you timed all the different buses in the fleet on a 0-30mph acceleration there would be so little difference it would be difficult to split them. Noisy buses always seem to accelerate faster as a passenger, but a good driver doesn't pretend he is in a drag race.

Stu

I still maintain that a bus is still only as 'fast' as the driver drives it (or at least 'fast' from a passengers perspective)

I caught a Gemini on the 37 the other evening, and we got from Sparkbrook to Acocks Green in just under 11 minutes. And it felt 'fast' from a passengers perspective, for whatever reasons, maybe the driver was running late and was trying to make up time, because their shift was about to finish etc etc.

Yet the same Gemini could be used at another time of day (with a different driver), and it can 'feel' slow because the driver is running on time, and doesn't have to floor the thing!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2013, 08:35:12 PM
I still maintain that a bus is still only as 'fast' as the driver drives it (or at least 'fast' from a passengers perspective)

I caught a Gemini on the 37 the other evening, and we got from Sparkbrook to Acocks Green in just under 11 minutes. And it felt 'fast' from a passengers perspective, for whatever reasons, maybe the driver was running late and was trying to make up time, because their shift was about to finish etc etc.

Yet the same Gemini could be used at another time of day (with a different driver), and it can 'feel' slow because the driver is running on time, and doesn't have to floor the thing!

Completely correct Stu.

Drivers are taught the most fuel efficient way of driving (and best for passengers) is amongst other things if possible do not physically stop except at bus stops if you can help it. If you see a queue ahead, or a traffic light that will be on red when you get to it immediately take you foot off the accelerator and try and roll up to the back of the queue so you can then accelerate off a rolling start. This in itself saves fuel, but then you do not need to put the accelerator so far down to get back up to traffic speed.
This means the engine makes a lot less noise and 'feels' slower even though the journey takes exactly the same time.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2013, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2013, 08:35:12 PM

Completely correct Stu.

Drivers are taught the most fuel efficient way of driving (and best for passengers) is amongst other things if possible do not physically stop except at bus stops if you can help it. If you see a queue ahead, or a traffic light that will be on red when you get to it immediately take you foot off the accelerator and try and roll up to the back of the queue so you can then accelerate off a rolling start. This in itself saves fuel, but then you do not need to put the accelerator so far down to get back up to traffic speed.
This means the engine makes a lot less noise and 'feels' slower even though the journey takes exactly the same time.

More simply put; Defensive driving.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk