News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

John

Quote from: nitromatt1 on April 04, 2013, 10:57:11 PM
I still fail to see what appeals to people about the B5s compared to the Enviros! They are slow (most ZF tridents will outaccelerate them), the engine sound is boring, they don't look as nice as the Enviro and they have less seats.

I don't think that regular passengers are bothered about all this, they just want to get on a bus from A to B.

Mike K

Quote from: Shaun on April 04, 2013, 10:49:37 PM
Got on a B5 the other day, definitely the best hybrids in my opinion. You tend to get used to the seating layout

I often sit upstairs on a B5 because the downstairs seating layout is stupid.

I still fail to see what appeals to people about the B5s compared to the Enviros! They are slow (most ZF tridents will outaccelerate them), the engine sound is boring, they don't look as nice as the Enviro and they have less seats.

If I'm waiting for a 22/23/24 and a B5 turns up I will usually wait for the next one.

Nitromatt, they definitely aren't slow - see Driver03's post earlier on in this thread. As regards looks, that's entirely subjective. I think most enthusiasts acknowledge that the Gemini 2 is a smart looking body, although I'll agree that in B5 form the window layout and shorter wheelbase do look a bit awkward. As regards most enthusiasts preferring the E400H, the current poll voting results suggest otherwise. Less seats is only an issue if the bus is full.

Where the NXWM B5s do score over the E400s is the upstairs legroom - it's highly impressive.

I have to say I like both types equally and from an enthusiast's perspective I think it's excellent that both current Hybrid routes in the West Mids have both vehicle types - variety is a good thing. 

winston

It can't be long now until the funding awards are announced from the latest Green Bus fund, I wonder if NX have submitted any further bids for more Hybrids? I seem to recall it was mentioned NXC were hoping to have Hybrids during 2014 

Kevin

Something I've been wondering since the hybrids started at NXWM, the completely different colour scheme.... surely that is insanely confusing for some passengers? Granted, they are the staple bus on the 22/23 and more so on the 24 now, and in wolves on the 1, so would be very familiar. But on the occasional unusual working, such as has been reported on the 97 and apparently might happen on the 59, are people waiting at the bus stop with a NX pass or daysaver going to let it go past thinking it's a different company? Yes there's the logo on the front but most ordinary people will just look at the colour of what's coming at them (and when it turns out to be some small operator's un-liveried dart and they get told on boarding their pass isn't valid they look a bit baffled - it happens)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

richie

Quote from: Winston on April 05, 2013, 11:30:16 AM
It can't be long now until the funding awards are announced from the latest Green Bus fund, I wonder if NX have submitted any further bids for more Hybrids? I seem to recall it was mentioned NXC were hoping to have Hybrids during 2014

I wonder if NX will purchase as part of their order rather than government funded

winston

Quote from: richie on April 05, 2013, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: Winston on April 05, 2013, 11:30:16 AM

I wonder if NX will purchase as part of their order rather than government funded

I guess it would largely depend on how much NX would save on fuel over their lives against the additional purchase costs over a diesel eqvilient, the price of hybrids should be starting to come down a bit by now as they are now being produced in quantity. Very few operators have bought Hybrids without the government Green Bus Fund subsidy, the one that immediately springs to mind is Abellio London i.e. the E400H for Tfl route 3 

Gareth

Where I am (a non hybrid area) passengers will try and use their day saver and bus pass, usually out of date on whatever bus comes first, doesn't matter what colour or company. Be it a Claribels, VIP or NXWM and then usually complain when it's rejected!

Quote from: nitromatt1 on April 04, 2013, 11:10:48 PM
Quote from: Winston on April 04, 2013, 11:05:37 PM
Got on a B5 the other day, definitely the best hybrids in my opinion. You tend to get used to the seating layout

If I'm waiting for a 22/23/24 and a B5 turns up I will usually wait for the next one.

For operators at least, I believe the Volvo B5/Wright combination is delivering better fuel consumption figures/high mpg and also they have fewer reliability issues compared with the E400H. It was also noticeable that a larger proportion of the Green Bus Fund 3 hybrid double deck orders were placed with Volvo/Wright, Oxford Bus Company was one which had switched from the E400H used on park & ride to Volvo B5LH for its latest orders

Doesn't surprise me that the B5 has a better mpg, with the stop/starting which the E400H doesn't seem to do, so I can see why operators choose them, but I would expect most enthusiasts to prefer the E400H.

Also I've heard that the B5 has a higher top speed than the E400H, but I've been on E400Hs being thrashed and they seem to reach very high speeds, I don't see why top speed is an issue on local bus services

All NX buses are limited (or should be) to 45 so this is rubbish about top speeds! In any case most routes are in 30mph zones with constant stop start conditions
In any case you must always remember if you are doing 30mph as apposed to 40mph in one hour you will only do an extra 10 miles this is of course at a contant speed. Actual time saved by doing 40mph constantly is 15mins but buses dont do a constant 40mph for an hour so the actual time saved is reletively less
In essance 'Thraping the Nick Nocks off it' really doesn't achieve much its rather the 'way' you drive than how fast
Furthermore in F1 even the fastest car will P*** all over the slowest and even lap them 2 or 3 times. But over 2 hours most laps are done in 1min 30secs so actuall time saving 3-5 mins!!!!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Driver03

Quote from: 4006 on April 05, 2013, 04:38:03 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on April 04, 2013, 11:10:48 PM
Quote from: Winston on April 04, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

For operators at least, I believe the Volvo B5/Wright combination is delivering better fuel consumption figures/high mpg and also they have fewer reliability issues compared with the E400H. It was also noticeable that a larger proportion of the Green Bus Fund 3 hybrid double deck orders were placed with Volvo/Wright, Oxford Bus Company was one which had switched from the E400H used on park & ride to Volvo B5LH for its latest orders

Doesn't surprise me that the B5 has a better mpg, with the stop/starting which the E400H doesn't seem to do, so I can see why operators choose them, but I would expect most enthusiasts to prefer the E400H.

Also I've heard that the B5 has a higher top speed than the E400H, but I've been on E400Hs being thrashed and they seem to reach very high speeds, I don't see why top speed is an issue on local bus services

All NX buses are limited (or should be) to 45 so this is rubbish about top speeds! In any case most routes are in 30mph zones with constant stop start conditions
In any case you must always remember if you are doing 30mph as apposed to 40mph in one hour you will only do an extra 10 miles this is of course at a contant speed. Actual time saved by doing 40mph constantly is 15mins but buses dont do a constant 40mph for an hour so the actual time saved is reletively less
In essance 'Thraping the Nick Nocks off it' really doesn't achieve much its rather the 'way' you drive than how fast
Furthermore in F1 even the fastest car will P*** all over the slowest and even lap them 2 or 3 times. But over 2 hours most laps are done in 1min 30secs so actuall time saving 3-5 mins!!!!!
Very much agree with you post 4006 my point on B5's are that people feel they are slow, no doubt due to the driver not understanding the gear box (and driving with it rather than against it) and the fact they have 12 speed boxes. If they are driven correctly though they will out accelerate most buses due to the instant torque given by batteries and developing torque from Diesel engine. From a drivers prospective, I feel they are quick accelerators under the correct conditions.

Trident 4609, you may see an E400H in garage next week, more have arrived yesterday (didn't catch fleet no's) but there are a few awaiting delivery. Some still need branding so they maybe in the garage being branded.

Kevin

Quote from: Driver03 on April 06, 2013, 10:42:19 AM
Very much agree with you post 4006 my point on B5's are that people feel they are slow, no doubt due to the driver not understanding the gear box (and driving with it rather than against it) and the fact they have 12 speed boxes. If they are driven correctly though they will out accelerate most buses due to the instant torque given by batteries and developing torque from Diesel engine. From a drivers prospective, I feel they are quick accelerators under the correct conditions.

Had a feeling that was the case, managed to travel on 5515 and 5518 today and although they were quick getting going on electric power, there was a substantial wait before the diesel kicked in
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Andrew1991

What's the branding on the E400h's like, is it the same as the B5's or like the dundee E400's ?

Trident 4609

Quote from: 5513 (A1991) on April 06, 2013, 06:40:28 PM
What's the branding on the E400h's like, is it the same as the B5's or like the dundee E400's ?

Looking at the leaflets that NX were giving out during the hybrid launch on saturday 9th March

It illustrated a photo of a E400H which appears to have same red branding

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4609 on April 06, 2013, 06:42:51 PM
Quote from: 5513 (A1991) on April 06, 2013, 06:40:28 PM

Looking at the leaflets that NX were giving out during the hybrid launch on saturday 9th March

It illustrated a photo of a E400H which appears to have same red branding

Photos on the main site soon

Trident 4609

I went on my first E400H and first BC hybrid today with Nitromatt1. The driver was driving very slow.

Lets hope WN's hybrids are much better. They certainly look smarter.

Andrew1991

Thumbs up from me, they look great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk