News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

BCMobile

Quote from: Tony on April 14, 2013, 08:32:30 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 07:36:50 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on April 14, 2013, 07:22:28 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 07:17:10 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on April 14, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 05:39:03 PM
We can always hope I suppose but I guess they all turn out the same. Unless they get a facelift then stuff changes. (Like the Mk2 Metrobus and Mk2A. The Mk2A idles much smoother. Diff gearbox? Or the difference between Dennis & Transbus Tridents..)

Something you should note is that piece of glass at the front nearside between the doors and that first seat comes out far too easily. Had 2 pop out on me on Weoley Castle Square on the X64. They're only held in by 3 or 4 loosely fitted brackets. Poor design in my opinion.

I noticed this on some of the eclipses-it does seem a poor design yet diamond's ones which are 5 years old now and have the same fixings dont seem to have broken for some reason

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is their mechanics go over each nut getting them tight again on a regular basis. Maybe NXWM don't do that? Or just a crap batch.

The other thing that BC let happen is the screws fall out the bus stopping sign so it ends up looking like the cover might fall off-mind you one of diamond's ones has got filler in one of the interior panels above the drivers cab which just looks plain shoddy.

Haha yeah screws don't get replaced!! If you ever sit in the cab of our buses, you'll be shocked to see the pathetic excuse for a patch up job going. Even after a refurb they change the cab seat but don't replace the missing parts from the dash. Even had a wayfarer fall apart. Good job I was relieving anyway. Black putty is a fitters only tool by the looks of it.  ::)

One question BCDriver. If you notice screws missing do you put it on your VCR? If you put a fault on your VCR then the Engineers know about it and are obliged to fix it. As an Inspector one of my jobs is to have a look at VCRs to make sure it has been filled in correctly (not to check for faults and see if they are on there) I have never seen screw missing on a VCR and it is amazing how many times I have had to tell a driver to put an obvious fault on a VCR (side or rear destination displays not working are the most common)

I used to, but all you get back is Fit For Service. But if it affects me directly I put it down but if a switch is loose or what ever I don't bother as it never gets fixed.

I didn't think revenue did such stuff, Tony?

Ex BC driver

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 08:42:09 PM
We can always hope I suppose but I guess they all turn out the same. Unless they get a facelift then stuff changes. (Like the Mk2 Metrobus and Mk2A. The Mk2A idles much smoother. Diff gearbox? Or the difference between Dennis & Transbus Tridents..)

Something you should note is that piece of glass at the front nearside between the doors and that first seat comes out far too easily. Had 2 pop out on me on Weoley Castle Square on the X64. They're only held in by 3 or 4 loosely fitted brackets. Poor design in my opinion.

I noticed this on some of the eclipses-it does seem a poor design yet diamond's ones which are 5 years old now and have the same fixings dont seem to have broken for some reason

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is their mechanics go over each nut getting them tight again on a regular basis. Maybe NXWM don't do that? Or just a crap batch.

The other thing that BC let happen is the screws fall out the bus stopping sign so it ends up looking like the cover might fall off-mind you one of diamond's ones has got filler in one of the interior panels above the drivers cab which just looks plain shoddy.

Haha yeah screws don't get replaced!! If you ever sit in the cab of our buses, you'll be shocked to see the pathetic excuse for a patch up job going. Even after a refurb they change the cab seat but don't replace the missing parts from the dash. Even had a wayfarer fall apart. Good job I was relieving anyway. Black putty is a fitters only tool by the looks of it.  ::)

One question BCDriver. If you notice screws missing do you put it on your VCR? If you put a fault on your VCR then the Engineers know about it and are obliged to fix it. As an Inspector one of my jobs is to have a look at VCRs to make sure it has been filled in correctly (not to check for faults and see if they are on there) I have never seen screw missing on a VCR and it is amazing how many times I have had to tell a driver to put an obvious fault on a VCR (side or rear destination displays not working are the most common)

I used to, but all you get back is Fit For Service. But if it affects me directly I put it down but if a switch is loose or what ever I don't bother as it never gets fixed.

I've taken over buses where on the VCR the driver has put that the bus hasn't been cleaned or ramp screw sticking up. Minor things, but at the end of the day if it's on the VCR and something happens, you're covered

BCMobile

Quote from: BC driver on April 14, 2013, 08:53:27 PM

I've taken over buses where on the VCR the driver has put that the bus hasn't been cleaned or ramp screw sticking up. Minor things, but at the end of the day if it's on the VCR and something happens, you're covered

That's true but who spots these things at 3 in the morning, usually noticed in service.

Makes me laugh when were told to put down old panel damage. Why? I always do but why?

Had a Hybrid and it was clearly involved in some sort of minor collision with a busted marker light and slightly misaligned rear quarter panel. Guess what? FFS. Why? Cause its still safe and night staff will change it. Apparently.

Tony

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 09:12:52 PM
Quote from: BC driver on April 14, 2013, 08:53:27 PM

That's true but who spots these things at 3 in the morning, usually noticed in service.

Makes me laugh when were told to put down old panel damage. Why? I always do but why?

Had a Hybrid and it was clearly involved in some sort of minor collision with a busted marker light and slightly misaligned rear quarter panel. Guess what? FFS. Why? Cause its still safe and night staff will change it. Apparently.

There is a very good reason why you should put that on. The next driver does and you don't - who is going to get the blame?

BCMobile

That's true but if its old... like I said I always put it on the VCR anyway so no harm done. Do you still do some driving then Tony?

j789

The defect card is obviously a good thing and when I start in the depot you can safely do a full walk round check. However, when you take over a vehicle in service it is often not safe to do the full check, even in a bus station etc so you are relying on the previous driver/s to be accurate. I know of incidents where a vehicle has suffered minor damage that wasn't reported and the next driver didn't/couldn't check the bus and ended up being pulled up on it. Also, things like bulbs can be fine in the depot on the walk round and then fail in service without the driver knowing and so wouldn't be on the card.

Tony

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 09:41:32 PM
That's true but if its old... like I said I always put it on the VCR anyway so no harm done. Do you still do some driving then Tony?

Occasionally. I will hopefully be adding yet another garage to the list I have worked from next week. Last driving I did was part of an Outer Circle two weeks ago because I revenue checked the vehicle outside Acocks Green garage to find the relieving driver was unavailable to drive due to not having his full 30min break.

I will also hopefully get myself type trained on E200s next week. It is currently the only vehicle type in the fleet I shouldn't drive because I have not signed as type trained on. I don't know of any other employee who has the full set, it is not easy to do!

I will hopefully get type trained on Volvo B12s and Scania K340s next week

Gareth

Apart from the E200, have you driven every bus type going back to WMT and WMPTE days, since you started with them? If not, any you wished you had and Your personal favourite?

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on April 14, 2013, 10:29:35 PM
Apart from the E200, have you driven every bus type going back to WMT and WMPTE days, since you started with them? If not, any you wished you had and Your personal favourite?

I have not driven a TWM dart in service (although I have driven an Arriva one!) and have yet to drive either of the hybrids in service, although I have driven the B5LH on the road. I never drove either a DMS or one of the Titans (7001-5) of the older vehicles, or any of the more recent scanias (1398-400), I think I drove everything else from the NOB-M fleetlines and newer.

Citaro Bendis are superb vehicles, Metrobuses were years ahead of their time when new, but were overtaken by more modern vehicles way before they finished being used, the other buses I always found a pleasure to drive were the the B10L/Ultras.

Favourite vehicle of all time? - currently owned by Tamworth Coach & Bus - E906TOJ
Worst vehicles? - I could never get on with JVJ 511Y absolutely rubbish brakes and a nightmare of a gearbox really difficult to find 3rd. Worst bus, probably the B10B, you never knew how hard to touch the brakes, some would stop if you blew on the pedal, others actually needed to be pressed.

Favourite current buses are all B7s, The President could do with a bit more early acceleration, but the body is superb with virtually no blind spots. The Gemini body is so well built, far better than the Enviro 400s. The 997 Enviros had more rattles after 3 weeks than the geminis they replaced after 3 years!

Ash

What do you think of the mercs 0405N to me they must have seemed well ahead of there time 15 years ago in terms of acceleration, speed and there ability to tackle steep gradients and looks although I have heard people complain about their large steering wheels as one of their negative points.

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 14, 2013, 10:43:50 PM
Favourite current buses are all B7s, The President could do with a bit more early acceleration, but the body is superb with virtually no blind spots. The Gemini body is so well built, far better than the Enviro 400s. The 997 Enviros had more rattles after 3 weeks than the geminis they replaced after 3 years!

Blimey! I won't argue with you, but the B7 has always been generally my least favourite vehicle. The 53 plate Geminis seem much slower than the Tridents of the same age, and make a lot of noise. I am warming to the newer B7 Geminis though.

The ALX400s are even slower, again slower than the Tridents of equivalent age, however I do like the whine they make.

Presidents are a mixed bag in my experience, some seem woefully slow, whereas one or two absolutely fly. I suppose when a batch of vehicles gets that old, differences between individual examples get larger.

I cannot stand the older B7RLE, the ones at WA at least are the most boring things I've been on, nothing notable happens other than the odd low moan. I do prefer the newer B7RLE, seems a little faster and I don't know why but I like the sound it makes.

The way I see it though, almost anything Dennis/ADL has made in the last 10 years or so has been simply better than the Volvo equivalent, even up to today with the Hybrids. I love the older Volvo decker B10's/Citybuses and Olympians from the late 80s/90s, and am also a fan of the B6LE, but from there onwards, Volvo just became...well, boring.

Sh4318

Any ALX bodied vehicle is brilliant in my opinion, they all have great sounding engines. The Geminis are really starting to grow on me, they operate on about half of my local routes, definitely prefer the 53/54 examples
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

nitromatt1

Quote from: Shaun on April 14, 2013, 11:35:12 PM
Any ALX bodied vehicle is brilliant in my opinion, they all have great sounding engines. The Geminis are really starting to grow on me, they operate on about half of my local routes, definitely prefer the 53/54 examples

I must say the 54 plate ones feel a lot faster and smoother than the 53 plates, the 54s are starting to grow on me

Trident 4609

There were 3 spectras (4005,4011,4012) a trident and a merc on the 1 today.

Trident 4609

5415-21 still not in service yet. 5410-14  all out today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk