News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

BCMobile

Quote from: Winston on April 14, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 04:11:56 PM
Is hybrids the only deckers WM are going to buy in the future then? I've yet to see any 62/13 reg deckers that aren't green.

NX are thought to have ordered/be ordering 60 standard ADL Enviro 400's for delivery during 2013, the only confirmed allocation to date is 10 to Coventry, to join the 23 B7RLE due there imminently.

The batch of Enviros for Coventry may already be in build at ADL, as Tony has confirmed that Miller St were preparing / sending cash vaults to ADL a couple of weeks back

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just wondering cause some of those 41hundred tridents are really tired. A massive refurb issue should be ordered for those cause they are worse then the Metrobus when they were withdrawn.

Any idea why NX never got any ADL full size single deckers? Only seem to see Volvo B7RLE's about the place. Would be nice to see a ALX300(?) for NX. Maybe on the X64.

They need E200's on the 58. That route is deadly with a full size.

I expect the routes the hybrids are on in the Black Country are low risk? By that I mean not much trouble with passengers damaging the vehicles.

BC Mobile

Driver03

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 03:09:46 PM
Having driven both, the E400h wins hands down. Smoother and faster. The Volvo is easier to maneuver with a shorter wheelbase but on 5-Ways island you would, without a shadow of doubt, be better off with an Enviro. Just get used to the automatic retarder as the brakes can be a little sharp if you drive the thing like a Trident. Nice to see 5501 back on the road after a severe RTC after a robbed car took it off the road for a few months.

The issue with the B5's the gear change ratio is so long you can fit another gear in between them! Personally, I don't like them, but at least the brakes are better then them damn B7rle's!!!

Regards,

BC Mobile
Completely agree on the brakes being sharp, I drove 5414 last night and I was shocked how sharp they were, I'm not a fan of the E400H at the moment, purely for the brakes. I do think I prefer the b5's however I'm reserving judgement until I've driven another E400H and have got used to the brakes.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 04:49:46 PM
Is hybrids the only deckers WM are going to buy in the future then? I've yet to see any 62/13 reg deckers that aren't green.

NX are thought to have ordered/be ordering 60 standard ADL Enviro 400's for delivery during 2013, the only confirmed allocation to date is 10 to Coventry, to join the 23 B7RLE due there imminently.

The batch of Enviros for Coventry may already be in build at ADL, as Tony has confirmed that Miller St were preparing / sending cash vaults to ADL a couple of weeks back

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just wondering cause some of those 41hundred tridents are really tired. A massive refurb issue should be ordered for those cause they are worse then the Metrobus when they were withdrawn.

Any idea why NX never got any ADL full size single deckers? Only seem to see Volvo B7RLE's about the place. Would be nice to see a ALX300(?) for NX. Maybe on the X64.

I expect the routes the hybrids are on in the Black Country are low risk? By that I mean not much trouble with passengers damaging the vehicles.

BC Mobile

Wouldn't say that, WN ones have already suffered from a couple of instances of vandalism.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

BCMobile

Quote from: Driver03 on April 14, 2013, 05:02:51 PM
Having driven both, the E400h wins hands down. Smoother and faster. The Volvo is easier to maneuver with a shorter wheelbase but on 5-Ways island you would, without a shadow of doubt, be better off with an Enviro. Just get used to the automatic retarder as the brakes can be a little sharp if you drive the thing like a Trident. Nice to see 5501 back on the road after a severe RTC after a robbed car took it off the road for a few months.

The issue with the B5's the gear change ratio is so long you can fit another gear in between them! Personally, I don't like them, but at least the brakes are better then them damn B7rle's!!!

Regards,

BC Mobile
Completely agree on the brakes being sharp, I drove 5414 last night and I was shocked how sharp they were, I'm not a fan of the E400H at the moment, purely for the brakes. I do think I prefer the b5's however I'm reserving judgement until I've driven another E400H and have got used to the brakes.

From the part of where you would use the retarder, dont put your foot on the brake (Just come off the accelerator). Then when you would use the brakes (The bit past the retarder section of brake pedal, if that makes sense), barely touch the brake pedal, and the thing will then come to a very smooth stop. However, it is a bit of a brown trouser moment when the retarder doesn't 'activate'.

Actually, having said that, I dont know what your ones are like to drive. I dare say possibly better then BC's as they're newer = newer technology?

OFF-TOPIC: How jolty are E200's....

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 14, 2013, 05:03:31 PM

BC Mobile

Wouldn't say that, WN ones have already suffered from a couple of instances of vandalism.

Negitive news that is. At least theres no emergency exit they can open on these buses.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

NXWM trialled 1908 Mk1 which was a Enviro 300 mostly at PE and I only ever heard poor reviews about it, broke down a few times, terrible  driving position, cramped cabin, and a fairly outdated model which was showing its age and am personally very glad they went for the higher quality B7RLE's

BCMobile

Quote from: wilmotm on April 14, 2013, 05:19:12 PM

NXWM trialled 1908 Mk1 which was a Enviro 300 mostly at PE and I only ever heard poor reviews about it, broke down a few times, terrible  driving position, cramped cabin, and a fairly outdated model which was showing its age and am personally very glad they went for the higher quality B7RLE's

Oh I see! That makes sense. I mean dont get me wrong when the B7RLE's were brand new they really were nice to drive. But now they've got mileage the things rattle and bang and jolt and creak like it's done millions.. Still nice buses; albeit cold and damp! (Especially 2138 from i've noticed)

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: wilmotm on April 14, 2013, 05:19:12 PM

Oh I see! That makes sense. I mean dont get me wrong when the B7RLE's were brand new they really were nice to drive. But now they've got mileage the things rattle and bang and jolt and creak like it's done millions.. Still nice buses; albeit cold and damp! (Especially 2138 from i've noticed)

Can't agree more, my local routes and ones I use to commute use Pensnett B7 RLE's but last week I spent some time on Wolverhamptons B7's, the first ones to arrive, some 4 months older than the Pensnett ones and a few of them were rattiling and creaking with bits of plastic making all sorts of noises and were beginning to rattle on idle, do hope that when the PE one's catch up with them in terms of age and mileage they don't start falling apart

Driver03

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 05:13:51 PM

Regards,

BC Mobile

From the part of where you would use the retarder, dont put your foot on the brake (Just come off the accelerator). Then when you would use the brakes (The bit past the retarder section of brake pedal, if that makes sense), barely touch the brake pedal, and the thing will then come to a very smooth stop. However, it is a bit of a brown trouser moment when the retarder doesn't 'activate'.

Actually, having said that, I dont know what your ones are like to drive. I dare say possibly better then BC's as they're newer = newer technology?
I'd assume they'd be roughly the same, I did find that my self and I understand what you mean :D it doesn't inspire much confidence though when you first jump in ;D. I'm sure ill get the hang of them, in the looks dept I do prefer the E400h they look stunning compared to B5s which look good but bland.

BCMobile

We can always hope I suppose but I guess they all turn out the same. Unless they get a facelift then stuff changes. (Like the Mk2 Metrobus and Mk2A. The Mk2A idles much smoother. Diff gearbox? Or the difference between Dennis & Transbus Tridents..)

Something you should note is that piece of glass at the front nearside between the doors and that first seat comes out far too easily. Had 2 pop out on me on Weoley Castle Square on the X64. They're only held in by 3 or 4 loosely fitted brackets. Poor design in my opinion.

BCMobile

Quote from: Driver03 on April 14, 2013, 05:35:30 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 05:13:51 PM

Regards,

BC Mobile

I'd assume they'd be roughly the same, I did find that my self and I understand what you mean :D it doesn't inspire much confidence though when you first jump in ;D. I'm sure ill get the hang of them, in the looks dept I do prefer the E400h they look stunning compared to B5s which look good but bland.

As the training room always says "Take your time, dont rush etc etc" lol ;-)

Oh looks wise the Enviro is a beast! It just looks like the future. Whereas the B5 looks like a glorified Gemini.

PM

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 05:39:03 PM
We can always hope I suppose but I guess they all turn out the same. Unless they get a facelift then stuff changes. (Like the Mk2 Metrobus and Mk2A. The Mk2A idles much smoother. Diff gearbox? Or the difference between Dennis & Transbus Tridents..)

Something you should note is that piece of glass at the front nearside between the doors and that first seat comes out far too easily. Had 2 pop out on me on Weoley Castle Square on the X64. They're only held in by 3 or 4 loosely fitted brackets. Poor design in my opinion.

I noticed this on some of the eclipses-it does seem a poor design yet diamond's ones which are 5 years old now and have the same fixings dont seem to have broken for some reason

BCMobile

Quote from: Peter123 on April 14, 2013, 07:12:37 PM

I noticed this on some of the eclipses-it does seem a poor design yet diamond's ones which are 5 years old now and have the same fixings dont seem to have broken for some reason

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is their mechanics go over each nut getting them tight again on a regular basis. Maybe NXWM don't do that? Or just a crap batch.

PM

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 07:17:10 PM

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is their mechanics go over each nut getting them tight again on a regular basis. Maybe NXWM don't do that? Or just a crap batch.

The other thing that BC let happen is the screws fall out the bus stopping sign so it ends up looking like the cover might fall off-mind you one of diamond's ones has got filler in one of the interior panels above the drivers cab which just looks plain shoddy.

BCMobile

Quote from: Peter123 on April 14, 2013, 07:22:28 PM

The other thing that BC let happen is the screws fall out the bus stopping sign so it ends up looking like the cover might fall off-mind you one of diamond's ones has got filler in one of the interior panels above the drivers cab which just looks plain shoddy.

Haha yeah screws don't get replaced!! If you ever sit in the cab of our buses, you'll be shocked to see the pathetic excuse for a patch up job going. Even after a refurb they change the cab seat but don't replace the missing parts from the dash. Even had a wayfarer fall apart. Good job I was relieving anyway. Black putty is a fitters only tool by the looks of it.  ::)

Tony

Quote from: BCMobile on April 14, 2013, 07:36:50 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on April 14, 2013, 07:22:28 PM

Haha yeah screws don't get replaced!! If you ever sit in the cab of our buses, you'll be shocked to see the pathetic excuse for a patch up job going. Even after a refurb they change the cab seat but don't replace the missing parts from the dash. Even had a wayfarer fall apart. Good job I was relieving anyway. Black putty is a fitters only tool by the looks of it.  ::)

One question BCDriver. If you notice screws missing do you put it on your VCR? If you put a fault on your VCR then the Engineers know about it and are obliged to fix it. As an Inspector one of my jobs is to have a look at VCRs to make sure it has been filled in correctly (not to check for faults and see if they are on there) I have never seen screw missing on a VCR and it is amazing how many times I have had to tell a driver to put an obvious fault on a VCR (side or rear destination displays not working are the most common)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk