News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Talking Buses

Started by B.C Driver, November 10, 2012, 01:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C Driver

Isnt it time the West Midlands caught up with London and installed audio and visual announcements on buses here.

This would help partially sighted or blind people, deaf people and people who are travelling on a route for the first time. Taking pressure off the driver to remind people when to get off.

I know this is on the 22 and 23, but it could be put on every bus. The technology isnt hard to install, the hardest part is for the person doing the voice to speak all of the stops!

4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

OH25

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on November 10, 2012, 01:58:17 PM
Isn't it time the West Midlands caught up with London and installed audio and visual announcements on buses here.

This would help partially sighted or blind people, deaf people and people who are travelling on a route for the first time. Taking pressure off the driver to remind people when to get off.

I know this is on the 22 and 23, but it could be put on every bus. The technology isn't hard to install, the hardest part is for the person doing the voice to speak all of the stops!

I most definitely agree with you, Birmingham buses need to have the same audio/visual announcements as the London buses. It is very helpful !!
However, the male voice for the announcements is not really good compared to the voice on the buses in London and also the way they have done the announcing on the 22 and 23 would be better if it was the same as the one in London (e.g. when it keeps on saying 'next stop' and also how it doesn't mention the destination as the ones in London).

Stu

QuoteHowever, the male voice for the announcements is not really good compared to the voice on the buses in London

That's because its the voice of local DJ Phil Upton!  :o

Voice announcements for 'next stop' are useful for those travelling on routes they are unfamiliar with (I did find it a godsend when travelling in London), but I can imagine they would 'grate' after a while if you caught the same bus every day!  ???

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ilovetea4370

I personally can't stand them, I am so glad the hybrids are off the 56 I have been taking the longer route through Walsall just to avoid that annoying "Celebrity's voice" (dont make me laugh, Centro) every 5 seconds. It wouldn't be as bad if it was someone a bit more sane doing the announcements, the ones on the trains for example don't bother me in the slightest I don't even notice them anymore, but Phil Upton seems so excited at the prospect of arriving at Kingstanding Circle, it makes me wonder if hes ever even seen the place. If they are done with a bit more tact like ibus then maybe it could be a good thing to have them (on certain main routes like the 37 or 50), but Phil Upton just gets on your nerves. Personally I wouldn't have them on any bus but with the ever changing times I suppose it is going to have to happen sooner or later. Rant over :P

Westy

Could be worse.

He could mention his family after every stop!

(It was a running joke on Digital Spy!)

B.C Driver

Yeh, the womans voice is much better...
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Stuharris 6360

Earlier this year Centro were the most successful bidder to the DfT Better Bus Area which will see a transformation of the bus network facilities around Brierley Hill Town Centre.
Amongst the benefits are:

On Vehicle Displays (Talking Buses) on strategic routes, which are:
- 002 Merry Hill - Weoley Castle
- 81 Merry Hill - Wolverhampton via Dudley
- 222 Merry Hill - Dudley
- 226 Merry Hill - Dudley
- 246 Stourbridge - Dudley
- 255 Merry Hill - Wolverhampton
- 297 Halesowen - Stickley via Merry Hill
- X96 Wollaston - Wrens Nest via Merry Hill and Dudley
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tomjusttom

Could be worse. Could be that annoying kid on NCT!

Stuharris 6360

Think the audio & visual announcements are really helpful in London, just one problem, your visually impaired and get on a bus, the bus pulls out and then the lady announces and you realise your on the wrong bus. Seen it happen myself!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Andrew1991

Have been reading through the better bus agreement and it says that services 81, 222, 246, 255, 297 & X96 will talk. Does this mean that wolverhampton will receive new deckers for the 255 or will they just fit the equiptment to the tridents ?

Stuharris 6360

Doubt they will receive new buses, but then are they going to fit the equipment to every trident or just a select few?

Same with the 246, Enviro 400s, B7RLEs, Mercs, B6s and Enviro 200s are used on their.  Will PE fit every bus with the equipment?

Andrew1991

Also according to the document a number of routes will also be branded

mranon

where can you see this document?

D10

Quote from: mranon on May 04, 2013, 08:48:26 PM
where can you see this document?

If you go to this page, you can see the link on the right hand side, where you can download the Better Bus submission document.

http://www.centro.org.uk/bus/services.aspx

Stuharris 6360

Interesting that the document suggests that ROTALA (Diamond) and HANSONS are involved in this scheme to, but have seen no sign of them participating!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk