News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Vehicle Transfers

Started by Ash, March 19, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Shaw

The June transfers were as expected, but the July ones should be interesting, not due to the South Birmingham changes but more to the euro4 introduction in Solihull. At the AG open day I was told that this would be achieved by moving buses between garages and this seems to be the case as I haven't seen any more euro6 conversions and no new vehicles have been mentioned anywhere. The Sunny group will also have problems but they do seem to be keeping the same buses on the 71E/72.

Tony

4592 is about to do the 09:10 33 from Wolverhampton Bus Station with its new exhaust trap fitted. It should then return to garage and transfer to YW

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 11, 2018, 09:05:05 AM
4592 is about to do the 09:10 33 from Wolverhampton Bus Station with its new exhaust trap fitted. It should then return to garage and transfer to YW

Has NX's policy for buying new buses changed in the last 12-18 months?

Dean Finch previously stated he wouldn't entertain refurbishing / upgrading the existing fleet, instead favouring to buy new. More & more of the existing fleet seem to be being upgraded to comply with new emission rulings, suggesting those buses could be 2o years old by the time they are eventually withdrawn. Whilst the other big groups have all cut new fleet investment due to current climate / falling profits and negative growth, NX Group are the exception to that rule, in that they are consistently beating profit growth forecasts year on year.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 11, 2018, 09:36:00 AM
Has NX's policy for buying new buses changed in the last 12-18 months?

Dean Finch previously stated he wouldn't entertain refurbishing / upgrading the existing fleet, instead favouring to buy new. More & more of the existing fleet seem to be being upgraded to comply with new emission rulings, suggesting those buses could be 2o years old by the time they are eventually withdrawn. Whilst the other big groups have all cut new fleet investment due to current climate / falling profits and negative growth, NX Group are the exception to that rule, in that they are consistently beating profit growth forecasts year on year.

No. There was always going to be a need to upgrade the fleet for AQPS. The equipment can be moved between vehicles, so there is nothing to stop the equipment currently on the 43xx tridents for example being moved onto newer vehicles when they are withdrawn. Nothing is being 'life extended' it is just being made better, same with repaint/retrims.

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 11, 2018, 09:43:55 AM
No. There was always going to be a need to upgrade the fleet for AQPS. The equipment can be moved between vehicles, so there is nothing to stop the equipment currently on the 43xx tridents for example being moved onto newer vehicles when they are withdrawn. Nothing is being 'life extended' it is just being made better, same with repaint/retrims.

I agree the need to upgrade / comply with new AQPS has always been there, however, a large proportion of that need was previously achieved by buying new buses and withdrawing the old. That need to comply is only going to grow and is being extended to more & more new areas, over the past 18 months NX have only bought the 38 x Platinum E400MMC (6855-92). It appears new bus procurement is falling behind compliance requirement changes, I was expecting the Y-reg Tridents to all have been withdrawn by now and the majority of the B7TL/ALX400 (4225-4304) which are 17 years old. 

Whilst the emissions of the upgraded buses are equivalent to Euro 6 (whilst commendable), the bus is fundamentally still (4592 - 14 years old etc) and will not provide the benefits operationally / internally to passengers that a new bus would.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 11, 2018, 09:57:48 AM
I agree the need to upgrade / comply with new AQPS has always been there, however, a large proportion of that need was previously achieved by buying new buses and withdrawing the old. That need to comply is only going to grow and is being extended to more & more new areas, over the past 18 months NX have only bought the 38 x Platinum E400MMC (6855-92). It appears new bus procurement is falling behind compliance requirement changes, I was expecting the Y-reg Tridents to all have been withdrawn by now and the majority of the B7TL/ALX400 (4225-4304) which are 17 years old.

There are new vehicles on order, but I cannot say how many & what until it is announced officially

PB2938

At least modern buses are getting a good 15-17 years service. Back in 1999 Leyland lynxs started being withdrawn after only 10 years service. 99% was sold off for further use mainly to Bus Eireann the odd one was withdrawn. There withdrawals was probably down to not being low floor.

The Volvo B10B started being withdrawn around 2008 after 12 years then finally withdrawn from service 2010 but glad to see  the back of them. Around 10 still survive in tranning fleet be glad when there all gone.
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

winston

Quote from: PB2938 on July 11, 2018, 10:09:10 AM
At least modern buses are getting a good 15-17 years service. Back in 1999 Leyland lynxs started being withdrawn after only 10 years service. 99% was sold off for further use mainly to Bus Eireann the odd one was withdrawn. There withdrawals was probably down to not being low floor.

The Volvo B10B started being withdrawn around 2008 after 12 years then finally withdrawn from service 2010 but glad to see  the back of them. Around 10 still survive in tranning fleet be glad when there all gone.

The extended service life only really benefits NX Accounts in terms of depreciation over a longer term. Some of those 15-17 years old buses have slipped the net for internal refreshes i.e. B7TL/ALX400's @ PB & some 2004 Tridents @ WN still have the same moquette from new, now badly faded with threadbare edges. I understand some of those non refurbished B7TL's/ALX400 are being moved to AG to operate the 5 (to be complaint) with refurbished Crimson Gemini's going the opposite way.

karl724223

Quote from: Tony on July 11, 2018, 10:01:16 AM
There are new vehicles on order, but I cannot say how many & what until it is announced officially
15 streetdecks are on order

winston

Quote from: karl724223 on July 11, 2018, 12:02:23 PM

Really.... and how many of the rumours / facts you post actually ever materialize ???

don

Quote from: karl724223 on July 11, 2018, 12:02:23 PM

A bit early for the Bathams??!! 😧
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

winston

Quote from: don on July 11, 2018, 12:42:31 PM
A bit early for the Bathams??!! 😧

Crystal meth more like......

don

Quote from: Winston on July 11, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
The extended service life only really benefits NX Accounts in terms of depreciation over a longer term. Some of those 15-17 years old buses have slipped the net for internal refreshes i.e. B7TL/ALX400's @ PB & some 2004 Tridents @ WN still have the same moquette from new, now badly faded with threadbare edges. I understand some of those non refurbished B7TL's/ALX400 are being moved to AG to operate the 5 (to be complaint) with refurbished Crimson Gemini's going the opposite way.

I thought the Crimson Geminis were already compliant?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

winston

Quote from: don on July 11, 2018, 12:44:54 PM
I thought the Crimson Geminis were already compliant?

Pass, this is what was posted on FB:

'the 5 is going to be operated by City compliant ALX400's and they are coming from PB your getting 4500 - 4507 & 4533/4 back'                              

John

Quote from: Winston on July 11, 2018, 12:49:09 PM
Pass, this is what was posted on FB:

'the 5 is going to be operated by City compliant ALX400's and they are coming from PB your getting 4500 - 4507 & 4533/4 back'   

From what I have heard, Acocks Green need them for the 5 as a bridge on route has had new signage and the ALX400s are the only buses that can fit under then new height restriction 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk