News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Volvo Chassis'

Started by Badger, August 20, 2012, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

Forgive me for being new, but where do the names of Volvo chassis' come from? I.e. B10, B6, B7.

I assumed they were sizes or something, but Wikipedia says the B7 was the successor to the B10 for example.

Then, what are the -B, -R, -L, -LE letters at the end?

Thanks.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

winston

Quote from: Badger on August 20, 2012, 03:51:49 PM
Forgive me for being new, but where do the names of Volvo chassis' come from? I.e. B10, B6, B7.

I assumed they were sizes or something, but Wikipedia says the B7 was the successor to the B10 for example.

Then, what are the -B, -R, -L, -LE letters at the end?

Thanks.

The Volvo Chassis numbering is based on the engine capacity, i.e. B7RLE have 7 litre engines, while B9TL have 9 litre engines etc

John

Quote from: Winston on August 20, 2012, 04:44:37 PM
The Volvo Chassis numbering is based on the engine capacity, i.e. B7RLE have 7 litre engines, while B9TL have 9 litre engines etc

Thats what i thought, doesn't the R in RLE mean rear engined, as the B10M is mid engined?

I think RE might mean low entry as in low floor.

Not sure what the L as in B10L or B in B10B stands for though.

winston

Quote from: John-s-91 on August 20, 2012, 04:57:16 PM

Thats what i thought, doesn't the R in RLE mean rear engined, as the B10M is mid engined?

Yes, and T as in B7TL or B9TL is transverse engined

Tony

Quote from: John-s-91 on August 20, 2012, 04:57:16 PM

I think RE might mean low entry as in low floor.

Not sure what the L as in B10L or B in B10B stands for though.

Yes L (as in B10L or B7L as per Y722CJW ex 1481) or LE (as in B10BLE; B6BLE; B7RLE) means Low Entry.

B6s came in 3 different varieties. B6, old step entrance ones as per 116-119. B6LE (as per all other TWM ones), and the newer B6BLE (as per the University of Wolverhampton ones). as B means 'engine at back' and all other B6s have the engine at the back, I presume it was used for the newest model just to differentiate from older ones

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk