News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Cycle lane bus stops

Started by Sandy Lane, August 24, 2024, 09:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

I have noticed different styles of bus stops when a new 'off-road' cycle lane has been built.

Sometimes the bus shelter is on the pedestrian footway, then next to the footway there is the kerbed two way cycleway and then there is a narrow island for the bus to call at. So to get on the bus you have to cross the cycle way to get to the bus island. The bus island can be quite narrow.

If you want to stop an approaching bus can you still wait at the bus shelter for it to arrive or do you have to wait on the thin island?

I don't know the answer but wouldn't fancy waiting on the bus island with heavy traffic passing by. Specially if it is raining!

markcf83

If they're anything like some bus stops I've seen they are an accident waiting to happen.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Sandy Lane on August 24, 2024, 09:53:29 AMI have noticed different styles of bus stops when a new 'off-road' cycle lane has been built.

Sometimes the bus shelter is on the pedestrian footway, then next to the footway there is the kerbed two way cycleway and then there is a narrow island for the bus to call at. So to get on the bus you have to cross the cycle way to get to the bus island. The bus island can be quite narrow.

If you want to stop an approaching bus can you still wait at the bus shelter for it to arrive or do you have to wait on the thin island?

I don't know the answer but wouldn't fancy waiting on the bus island with heavy traffic passing by. Specially if it is raining!
I would wait in the shelter until you see the bus then flag down the bus but look out for cyclists too!

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Rachvince53 on August 24, 2024, 04:19:18 PMI would wait in the shelter until you see the bus then flag down the bus but look out for cyclists too!
Yep, best place for safety I reckon but will the bus call if I'm not standing by the road?
I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on August 24, 2024, 06:16:33 PMYep, best place for safety I reckon but will the bus call if I'm not standing by the road?
I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.
As long as the driver can clearly see you intending to board the bus - by flagging them down - then there's no reason why they won't stop.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BrumKev86

They have these in Bath, on the X39 route to/ from Bristol. Absolute joke they are, as you say an accident waiting to happen. You have to cross a cycle lane to get on and off the bus. To be fair there is a warning on the bus both audible and visual on the screen when the stop is announced.  Its still not safe, I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Previously didn't see anything like it in the West Midlands.
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Justin Tyme

There are bus stops of this kind in Blossomfield Road, Solihull. There is a two-way cycle lane along this road.

I agree that they are accidents waiting to happen.  I cannot believe that people making decisions on them think it is acceptable to expect bus passengers to have to look out for bikes when getting on a bus.

And they are not going attract anyone to using the bus.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: BrumKev86 on August 24, 2024, 10:01:22 PMThey have these in Bath, on the X39 route to/ from Bristol. Absolute joke they are, as you say an accident waiting to happen. You have to cross a cycle lane to get on and off the bus. To be fair there is a warning on the bus both audible and visual on the screen when the stop is announced.  Its still not safe, I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Previously didn't see anything like it in the West Midlands.
I think these are called 'bus island' stops?
Agree these type of bus stops are an accident waiting to happen but what a great idea from Bath/Bristol. 
Pity we don't get this safety warning on NXC buses where there is a cycle lane to cross when getting off.
Tony - any plans to do this?

Tony

Quote from: Sandy Lane on August 25, 2024, 07:00:28 AMI think these are called 'bus island' stops?
Agree these type of bus stops are an accident waiting to happen but what a great idea from Bath/Bristol.
Pity we don't get this safety warning on NXC buses where there is a cycle lane to cross when getting off.
Tony - any plans to do this?
All next stops for all garages are done by the same outside company, so I would imagine they will be on the next update

Stu

Quote from: Justin Tyme on August 24, 2024, 10:36:54 PMThere are bus stops of this kind in Blossomfield Road, Solihull. There is a two-way cycle lane along this road.

I agree that they are accidents waiting to happen.  I cannot believe that people making decisions on them think it is acceptable to expect bus passengers to have to look out for bikes when getting on a bus.

And they are not going attract anyone to using the bus.
They also have these on Bradford Street in Digbeth.
You cannot view this attachment.
These ones here do have zebra crossing marks on them, unlike the ones on Blossomfield Road.

I guess the expectation is that cyclists should 'give way' and wait when people are boarding or alighting from a bus that has stopped.

On the other hand, I see very few cyclists actually using these designated lanes, so the risk of accidents is minimal. :azn:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Stu on August 25, 2024, 11:05:31 AMOn the other hand, I see very few cyclists actually using these designated lanes, so the risk of accidents is minimal. :azn:
In Coventry I have found out that the cycle lane usage is being automatically counted.

Take the Binley Road route (which is not yet complete) it frequently peaks at over 1,600 cycles per week at the moment and it is suggested this is an undercount of the real numbers.  

When the route is all finished you can bet the numbers will rise again so bus stop safety is going to be a problem I reckon.

Stu, I could have a go at taking some Coventry bus stop photo's and putting them on here as well but not sure how to do it? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk