News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Simon Dunn

Quote from: LD713821 on August 09, 2024, 11:12:17 PMHello Simon,

Will Diamond West Midlands be receiving next stop announcements soon?
If they are, will they will be using the same voice as NX/Metro, Elinor Hamilton.

Our Buses are planned to have Nextstop installed in line with government deadlines.  I am not sure what technology NX use.  We will use the 

Ticketer/ Omni/McKenna installation which is automatically generated from the schedules file.   

I believe this is a same as TfGM and is more a computer generated voice.

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Jack on August 14, 2024, 08:25:05 PMWhy was 32295 withdrawn?
The vehicle was badly damaged.  The cost of repair was more than the value of the bus. We therefore felt the most logical decision was to use the key parts and scrap the vehicle.

B7RLE

I'm very pleased to hear that Diamond will be taking over the Kinver 242 from September. Do you have any ideas on what vehicles will be used on the service?
Local routes are the PN 7, WN 8, 25 and 242 (mainly the 8)
Also regularly use the PN 2, PN 2A and WN 82
Local rail station is Stourbridge Town, 139s 😍

Simon Dunn

Quote from: B7RLE on August 15, 2024, 01:47:42 PMI'm very pleased to hear that Diamond will be taking over the Kinver 242 from September. Do you have any ideas on what vehicles will be used on the service?
We are deploying two of the recently acquired "64" plate Streetlites into Kidderminster.  There are a lot of similar vehicles in the depot.  I would imagine they will be Streetlites.

twbc99

Hi Simon,

I spotted the new minibus 15010 on the 70A in Derby earlier. I think the display needs a look at as the route number was off the end of the screen with only some of the '7' showing.

Also is the route change on the 9 (Burton) happening in September? It was originally showing on the changes page on the website but has since disappeared whilst Derbyshire CC forthcoming changes page is still having it listed.

Stu

Hi Simon,

I note with interest that Tap&Go is being withdrawn from 1st September.

Is there any particular reason why this is being removed from West Midlands and Worcestershire services only?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Stu on August 23, 2024, 08:00:54 AMHi Simon,

I note with interest that Tap&Go is being withdrawn from 1st September.

Is there any particular reason why this is being removed from West Midlands and Worcestershire services only?

The technology isn't developed enough.  Ticketer do not provide a way to check whether the units are working or not.  There is no test on bus, which means we are left to wait for passengers to complain.  This isn't an acceptable situation.

DeeJay

Dear Simon,

On Saturday  (24th August) afternoon I attempted to carch a 57 as I sometimes do, on Aston Road, but this time the bus drove straight past me and 4 elderly ladies, meaning i had to walk and catch an NX bus to get to Wolverhampton. Once I got there I went over to the 57 stand and asked what was going on - the driver told me they'd been instructed by their office staff not to pick up or drop off anywhee other than bus stops, even though as far as I am aware, Aston Road and a few other parts of the 57 have been hail and ride for at least the last 5 years, possibly more, due to lack of bus stops along many roads.

If this is the case, it seems completely pointless for the bus to even go down some of these roads. When I am on the bus it appears that the majority of passengers get on in these Hail and Ride areas, especially disabled or elderly people who can't walk to the bus stops as they ae so spread out or even non-existent. These passengers may totally rely on this bus to get about, so this policy change will greatly affect their mobility, in my opinion you also stand to lose the majority of your custom on this route.

Is it possible for you to confirm if such a change in policy has officially been made?

Although your driver was very polite and professional and explained the situation to me, I still have my doubts.

Many thanks 
Dexter Jones

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DeeJay on August 26, 2024, 10:57:19 AMDear Simon,

On Saturday  (24th August) afternoon I attempted to carch a 57 as I sometimes do, on Aston Road, but this time the bus drove straight past me and 4 elderly ladies, meaning i had to walk and catch an NX bus to get to Wolverhampton. Once I got there I went over to the 57 stand and asked what was going on - the driver told me they'd been instructed by their office staff not to pick up or drop off anywhee other than bus stops, even though as far as I am aware, Aston Road and a few other parts of the 57 have been hail and ride for at least the last 5 years, possibly more, due to lack of bus stops along many roads.

If this is the case, it seems completely pointless for the bus to even go down some of these roads. When I am on the bus it appears that the majority of passengers get on in these Hail and Ride areas, especially disabled or elderly people who can't walk to the bus stops as they ae so spread out or even non-existent. These passengers may totally rely on this bus to get about, so this policy change will greatly affect their mobility, in my opinion you also stand to lose the majority of your custom on this route.

Is it possible for you to confirm if such a change in policy has officially been made?

Although your driver was very polite and professional and explained the situation to me, I still have my doubts.

Many thanks
Dexter Jones
Dexter

The 57 route is bus stops only.  The drivers should not stop and collect passengers from random places on the route.

Simon

DeeJay

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 26, 2024, 05:18:38 PMDexter

The 57 route is bus stops only.  The drivers should not stop and collect passengers from random places on the route.

Simon
Dear Simon,
Thanks for your reply.

I agree with what you say on safety grounds, however the issue then becomes that there are several places on this route where diamond's own data, Bustimes and google maps all say that a stop is present but there is nothing physically there on the street - no poles, flags, road markings etc - to reflect this, so no-one knows where to wait. Aston Road is a good example of this, but there are others such as Silverton Way and Valley road, all of which are popular with passengers.

Thanks again,
Dexter

Rachvince53

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 26, 2024, 05:18:38 PMDexter

Simon
Hi Simon
I agree that where there bus stops marked with stop flags drivers should only stop at those places (or as near as possible if obstructed) but there are a number of roads served by the 57 which have bus stops marked on your own company's map and on Google but not marked physically. These stopping places have been in established for many years. If your buses are not going to stop on those roads then why are you driving along them?

Thanks

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Rachvince53 on August 26, 2024, 08:47:48 PMHi Simon
I agree that where there bus stops marked with stop flags drivers should only stop at those places (or as near as possible if obstructed) but there are a number of roads served by the 57 which have bus stops marked on your own company's map and on Google but not marked physically. These stopping places have been in established for many years. If your buses are not going to stop on those roads then why are you driving along them?

Thanks
This contract is operated under contract to TfWM.  We operate the route they tell us to.  If you can identify which roads you are referring to, we will ask them the question.

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 27, 2024, 08:46:04 AMThis contract is operated under contract to TfWM.  We operate the route they tell us to.  If you can identify which roads you are referring to, we will ask them the question.

Simon
I have been advised that a variation is going through to make part of the route into Hail & Ride.  This has not taken effect as yet.

Simon

Rachvince53

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 27, 2024, 08:46:04 AMThis contract is operated under contract to TfWM.  We operate the route they tell us to.  If you can identify which roads you are referring to, we will ask them the question.

Simon
Hi Simon

The roads are: Longford Road, Valley Road, Shawbury Road (all Park Village, Wolverhampton), Silverton Way (Lyndale estate near Perry Hall, Wolverhampton) and Aston Road, Willenhall.

All of these have stops marked on your company's route map and on Google but without a physical stop flag. 

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk