News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you could bring back any old route what would it be and why?

Started by hlliwmai, October 09, 2023, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

Back in the 1980s the 10 was double-deck operated and for a time even ran as frequently as every 15 minutes during the day, half hourly at night. It switched to Lynx operation in 1990. It was well used in those days, and a long-standing route dating from BCT days. 

woody38

If I could bring back any route back it would be the 54 Stafford-Penkridge-Wolverhampton changing the route a little so it goes into the Prison, there isn't a link anymore, I know for a fact people struggle to get to Rodbaston Collage & the prison especially when the trains are down

Mike K

The 62 City - Rednal, for no other reason than it was my favourite route as a kid, and the bus to the Lickey Hills. That terminus, with the old tram tracks, opposite the pub and the amusement arcade, was also my favourite West Midlands bus terminus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4604717595

Squiz1971

Quote from: Mike K on October 15, 2023, 12:06:16 PMThe 62 City - Rednal, for no other reason than it was my favourite route as a kid, and the bus to the Lickey Hills. That terminus, with the old tram tracks, opposite the pub and the amusement arcade, was also my favourite West Midlands bus terminus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4604717595
Used to live in Rubery in the 80's and would often walk up to the Lickey's from where we lived. Have been in the arcade there plus the Hare and Hounds too but like you my favourite part was the tram tracks at the back of the toilets as the building was at the time, walking on them trying not to injure myself  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  

danny

For me it would be the 81Y between Birmingham and Oldbury via Cape Hill, Londonderry Langley Village and the 88 Birmingham to Blackheath/Dudley via the same route up to the Merryvale then causeway Green, Brandall and Blackheath, 81Y purely for nostalgia, as a kid it felt very different seinf the white blue and orange buses compared to the standard metros/Lynxes on the 120, however, since the 88 was cut there was no connection restored between causeway green Rd and the city meaning either a lengthy walk to the 126 or 120/128 (now the 12 and the 13) was also handy for getting to Blackheath from the top end and quicker than the 128. Obs this is just a "If you could" I'm sure there is a valid reason why both routes were axed.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Rachvince53

Sayeed

Quote from: Rachvince53 on October 15, 2023, 06:51:08 PMAlx200 bodied Dennis Darts?
It was the E200 LWBs at West Brom. It was interesting to see it at first because (I think) at the time it interworked with the 54/A. Then, it became a regular appearance. 
Век живи - век учись

Rachvince53

Yasir6711

Jack

For me bring the old service numbers back, it was logical to me any way,
0 to 199 to city,  200s Brierley hill services, 300s Walsall , 400s West Bromwich , 500s Wolverhampton  think i have got that right , i forget what 600s were for, odds and sods maybe  :smiley:

Steve3229vp

Quote from: 2900 on October 18, 2023, 02:28:13 PMFor me bring the old service numbers back, it was logical to me any way,
0 to 199 to city,  200s Brierley hill services, 300s Walsall , 400s West Bromwich , 500s Wolverhampton  think i have got that right , i forget what 600s were for, odds and sods maybe  :smiley:
A few years ago I would of agreed with you, but it started in Walsall will most of the 3xx services being renumbered which was at least 12 years ago now

j789

Quote from: 2900 on October 18, 2023, 02:28:13 PMFor me bring the old service numbers back, it was logical to me any way,
I think the 600s routes were mostly minibus operated services so all areas had some of those. 700/800s services were works or schools routes and 900s express routes. I agree the original numbering did make sense.

Rachvince53

Of course before WMPTE, most services (except for Midland Red routes) were numbered similar to those now.  
Incidentally 800 series were also used for Midland Red services in Staffordshire and Shropshire, indeed services 877/878 and 891 are a legendary of that time. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk