News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Justin Tyme on August 21, 2023, 04:43:10 PMNot sure.  I think the 962 was transferred to Miller Street in the late 1970s.  I recall at least one 962 ride on a DP National - I don't think any of those were allocated to Sutton? - and another on an ex-BCT Fleetline.
Quote from: midlandred2003 on August 21, 2023, 05:21:06 PMIt was Digbeth when I used it,with dp leopards.
Didn't think Digbeth every operated it. It was always Sutton when my dad worked there which was from 1972 onwards. Sutton had some DP Leopards until the PTE takeover in 1973 then it was normally Fleetlines until the Ailsas arrived then they were the favourite for it. When Miller Street took over 4242 was a regular, that left the fleet in 1983 so it did move to Miller Street before Sutton garage closure in 1984.

Rachvince53

The 962 I recall was operated by Timesaver branded mk2 Metrobuses. Think Lea Hall operated it in part at one time.

midlandred2003

Quote from: Tony on August 21, 2023, 05:51:11 PMDidn't think Digbeth every operated it. It was always Sutton when my dad worked there which was from 1972 onwards. Sutton had some DP Leopards until the PTE takeover in 1973 then it was normally Fleetlines until the Ailsas arrived then they were the favourite for it. When Miller Street took over 4242 was a regular, that left the fleet in 1983 so it did move to Miller Street before Sutton garage closure in 1984.
You may be right Tony,I just remember more than once I asked the driver if he was going down to digbeth on a Friday evening so I had a lift down there. 

Owen

Stu

Quote from: Owen on August 21, 2023, 02:55:22 AMI know people will say "why does everything have to be renumbered". But since we have the 94 going through castle Brom', 95 shard end, 97 meadway. Wouldn't a 96/X96 fit in the sequence. 

There is already a 96 in that area, the one from Kingstanding to Chelmsley Wood.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Owen on August 21, 2023, 07:04:57 PMWas the 107 a previous attempt of the 7? Where did it go?
The 107 is the current 907 but serving all stops, there was also a 113 which went to Streetly via New Oscott and a 42 to Erdington via New Oscott.

Owen

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 21, 2023, 08:00:45 PMThe 107 is the current 907 but serving all stops, there was also a 113 which went to Streetly via New Oscott and a 42 to Erdington via New Oscott.
Yes, that makes sense now. I seen a picture of one in service but no maps.

Owen

Quote from: Stu on August 21, 2023, 07:36:46 PMThere is already a 96 in that area, the one from Kingstanding to Chelmsley Wood.
X96/ X98 ?

suavegarv

The 962 was also the night service if I remember correctly?

Owen

Imo. I think that if the 3 digits made a come back everything would be much more organised as it were. 
For city routes ~ 1**, 2**, (9** fast).
All other prefixes for routes that don't go in city centre + Black Country.
I'd have X** for anything that is actually going to be limited stop. 

Hagleys routes something like...
12 -> 112
12A -> 112A
13 -> 113
13A -> 114
126 -> 115
- reasonably distinguishable I think. 

13 + 13a only share half a route just like 23/24, 65/67 94/95 do exc (sister routes),  while the 12/A variant make sense. The 13s have drastically separate directions/ terminals. 

To re organise the route system. You can't change a route number if one already exists.

This is just wishful thinking btw

Jack

Quote from: Owen on August 26, 2023, 02:02:19 AMImo. I think that if the 3 digits made a come back everything would be much more organised as it were.
For city routes ~ 1**, 2**, (9** fast).
All other prefixes for routes that don't go in city centre + Black Country.
I'd have X** for anything that is actually going to be limited stop.

Hagleys routes something like...
12 -> 112
12A -> 112A
13 -> 113
13A -> 114
126 -> 115
- reasonably distinguishable I think.

13 + 13a only share half a route just like 23/24, 65/67 94/95 do exc (sister routes),  while the 12/A variant make sense. The 13s have drastically separate directions/ terminals.

To re organise the route system. You can't change a route number if one already exists.

This is just wishful thinking btw
The numbers have been messed around with enough, the simplification is to make it easier, even though I much preferred the old numbering system it's just having to get with the current times.

I still to this day do not understand the renumbering of the 120/7/8/9 when that system was fine and the routes near enough all do the same route, same goes for the 55 into the 95.

Owen

Quote from: Jack on August 26, 2023, 02:49:19 AMThe numbers have been messed around with enough, the simplification is to make it easier, even though I much preferred the old numbering system it's just having to get with the current times.

I still to this day do not understand the renumbering of the 120/7/8/9 when that system was fine and the routes near enough all do the same route, same goes for the 55 into the 95.

The simplification on majority of the network imo made matters worse. Theres a good few number '3' '4' '6' exc, routes being rinsed out all over the place now. The old system was simple and effective. It made more sense before imo.

For the small network covered here... every route could have its very own number, Routes that share a corridor could have short orderly sequence to match each other (like 934-7). Independent routes could miss out a few going up the sequence to show its own. which I think would prove to be effective if implemented all over. I wouldn't think anyone with a functional brain in this age would have any confusion about this numerical system once known.
After all, it's only a 1 digit prefix added, surprised they can remember the current if anything aha

Rachvince53

The NX 9 should have been renumbered as something else when it was extended to Wolverhampton as there was already a service 9 into the city, even it was just 9W. 

As for the 126, it fitted in well with the 120 etc group but now seems (like the 529) an oddity with the other routes being numbered 12, 12A etc. Personally I think they should have remained as they were. 

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Rachvince53 on August 26, 2023, 10:03:20 AMThe NX 9 should have been renumbered as something else when it was extended to Wolverhampton as there was already a service 9 into the city, even it was just 9W.

As for the 126, it fitted in well with the 120 etc group but now seems (like the 529) an oddity with the other routes being numbered 12, 12A etc. Personally I think they should have remained as they were.
The 126 could run limited stop from B'ham to Wolverhampton Road and be numbered X11

the trainbasher

QuoteThe 126 could run limited stop from B'ham to Wolverhampton Road and be numbered X11
Or extended to Wolvo (with the Limited stop section on the Hagley Rd) and renumbered X8A...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk