News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busboy31

Coventrybususer95

All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Straightlines

Quote from: hlliwmai on March 16, 2023, 01:35:09 PMWell it was kind of inevitably....

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-events/news/2023/march/west-midlands-bus-strike-back-on-over-national-express-union-busting/
Hope them and the members realise the long lasting effect this will have on their industry (and subsequently, their incomes!)

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on March 16, 2023, 04:29:41 PMHope them and the members realise the long lasting effect this will have on their industry (and subsequently, their incomes!)
Too many don't. 

Rachvince53

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 16, 2023, 03:32:41 PMSeems a good pay offer if it's what been quoted at 14% for this year and lower offers for the following two years.
It's not 14%, that's the total award for last year as well. However another issue is that terms and conditions previously agreed have been withdrawn by National Express management. As for the vote, it would seem that the ballot would not be permitted to be organised by Unite but they would still be expected to support it. 

Tony

Quote from: Rachvince53 on March 16, 2023, 04:50:05 PMIt's not 14%, that's the total award for last year as well. However another issue is that terms and conditions previously agreed have been withdrawn by National Express management. As for the vote, it would seem that the ballot would not be permitted to be organised by Unite but they would still be expected to support it.
The offer is 14.3% for this year on top of rise in November,  not including it

Rachvince53

Quote from: Tony on March 16, 2023, 04:58:24 PMThe offer is 14.3% for this year on top of rise in November,  not including it
That's not what one of the drivers told me. However I accept you may well be right. 

Kevin_Brum12

Reading the UNITE statement, it sounds like they wanted to do a show of hands in a meeting, rather than a secret vote.  Surely it is not beyond their competence to organise a 'phone or online poll, using their membership database, to determine if they are for or against the offer?

Why are they going around as if it is 1973 not 2023?

karl724223

New one year deal now been offered 14.3% plus some other things 
Voting Friday and Saturday results Saturday if no vote strike on Monday 

Tony

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on March 16, 2023, 05:48:23 PMReading the UNITE statement, it sounds like they wanted to do a show of hands in a meeting, rather than a secret vote.  Surely it is not beyond their competence to organise a 'phone or online poll, using their membership database, to determine if they are for or against the offer?

Why are they going around as if it is 1973 not 2023?
I have been a member of Unite and previously the TGWU for 40 years, never before have I seen such chaos where reps are slagging each other off. Misinformation being spread such as the 14% including the November rise. Different garages wanting their rep out and a vote to work while others are staunch strike.

karl724223

Quote from: Tony on March 16, 2023, 05:54:52 PMI have been a member of Unite and previously the TGWU for 40 years, never before have I seen such chaos where reps are slagging each other off. Misinformation being spread such as the 14% including the November rise. Different garages wanting their rep out and a vote to work while others are staunch strike.
33 years me and totally agree very poorly handled

Tony

Quote from: karl724223 on March 16, 2023, 05:54:32 PMNew one year deal now been offered 14.3% plus some other things
Voting Friday and Saturday results Saturday if no vote strike on Monday
Except Unite cannot even get that correct. The say voting opens at 4am this morning

Isle of Stroma

QuoteHope them and the members realise the long lasting effect this will have on their industry (and subsequently, their incomes!)

It's almost as if service provision, & staff recompense / morale, is at an all time high before there's been a single minute of strike action... Seriously, we've played by their rules for too long, yet using public transport  gets worse by the day.

Support & solidarity to the staff who are legally (for the time being, until the nazis ban that as well) taking action in the best interests of EVERYONE involved.

mranon

unite sent email amending the time and date cock up. I dont know why they even talking about the november "rise" as it was to cover the shortened average time so drivers didnt loose out. It was promised that it wasnt part of the january talks. However this is a big mess, and it needs resolving quickly. Wonder why theres a shortage of drivers and high turnoverof staff in this industry? heres a good reason

Tony

Quote from: Isle of Stroma on March 16, 2023, 06:53:06 PMIt's almost as if service provision, & staff recompense / morale, is at an all time high before there's been a single minute of strike action... Seriously, we've played by their rules for too long, yet using public transport  gets worse by the day.

Support & solidarity to the staff who are legally (for the time being, until the nazis ban that as well) taking action in the best interests of EVERYONE involved.
Are they taking action in the best interests of everyone?. As Simon has stated at Rotala not one route is currently in profit without financial support. It is similar at NX with very few routes that could stand up on their own. Drive more passengers away and more routes will go out to tender to the lowest bidder. Lowest bidder normally means the one with the lowest operating costs, so drivers turning down the current £16+ offer could easily find themselves on a much lower rate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk