News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Quote from: PB2938 on March 15, 2023, 01:43:14 PMhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/strike-row-bus-drivers-had-26474896.amp
Surely some of the conditions could easily be resolved.with negotiations with TfWM
  • TfWM needs to employ more officers these need to be deployed on routes that have high abuse, fare dodging and drug use
  • Drug use comment if it's certain routes or times of the day, threaten to pull route at night if it's happening at night.
  • Fare dodging up the penalty fare as a deterrent or consider bring back conductors to sell and issue tickets on buses or more inspectors.

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 15, 2023, 03:56:04 PMSurely some of the conditions could easily be resolved.with negotiations with TfWM
  • TfWM needs to employ more officers these need to be deployed on routes that have high abuse, fare dodging and drug use
  • Drug use comment if it's certain routes or times of the day, threaten to pull route at night if it's happening at night.
  • Fare dodging up the penalty fare as a deterrent or consider bring back conductors to sell and issue tickets on buses or more inspectors.

• Conductors are not going to make a comeback.  Not unless you want  to make every bus route in the West Midlands unviable.  The majority of passengers pay their fares and are not using cash.  NXWM could scrap cash as a method of payment or recruit more inspectors.
  • Drugs - best way to deter that is more visible Police on the buses in hotspots and shoving the offenders into court for possession.
  • Pulling the routes of a night where there is a problem on a short basis, but make it clear to the travelling public why you are doing so and the rote will only be reinstated if there is no trouble or anti-social behaviour..

Straightlines

Kevin_Brum12

UNITE have also showed their hand by going for an all out, continuous strike rather than other disruptive action like an overtime ban or work to rule.  Drivers have got to weigh up the likelihood of getting an improved offer after UNITE revealed their tactics, Would they be going on strike for weeks losing wages, only to end up with the offer they were balloted on in the first place? 

Quote from: Straightlines on March 15, 2023, 05:09:09 PMI can't remember the last time I noted 'weed smoking' on a bus (and it did used to be quite prevalent).
Faredogers, weed smokers, people begging on the bus, etc are definitely still a thing.
Plus vapes nowadays. The coloured vape sticks, the kids smoke on the lower deck as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ginger66

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on March 15, 2023, 05:28:56 PMUNITE have also showed their hand by going for an all out, continuous strike rather than other disruptive action like an overtime ban or work to rule.  Drivers have got to weigh up the likelihood of getting an improved offer after UNITE revealed their tactics, Would they be going on strike for weeks losing wages, only to end up with the offer they were balloted on in the first place?
Agree what you are saying, this is what the RMT are doing selective dates for strikes it keeps passengers on your side. 

Ginger66

Quote from: Straightlines on March 15, 2023, 05:09:09 PMI can't remember the last time I noted 'weed smoking' on a bus (and it did used to be quite prevalent).
I have heard drivers used to have to open the windows and drive round before going back to garage to get rid the smell of the whacky backey

Ginger66

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on March 15, 2023, 04:30:15 PM
  • Conductors are not going to make a comeback.  Not unless you want  to make every bus route in the West Midlands unviable.  The majority of passengers pay their fares and are not using cash.  NXWM could scrap cash as a method of payment or recruit more inspectors.
  • Drugs - best way to deter that is more visible Police on the buses in hotspots and shoving the offenders into court for possession.
  • Pulling the routes of a night where there is a problem on a short basis, but make it clear to the travelling public why you are doing so and the rote will only be reinstated if there is no trouble or anti-social behaviour..
Like they do with a certain route where idiot kids bud the bus I think it was the 29

Straightlines

Quote from: 2206 on March 15, 2023, 05:49:38 PMFaredogers, weed smokers, people begging on the bus, etc are definitely still a thing.
Plus vapes nowadays. The coloured vape sticks, the kids smoke on the lower deck as well.

I don't think Faredodgers and Weed Smokers is anywhere near as bad as it was say 10-15 years ago. It used to be rife. I can only speak from using buses in Birmingham regularly. 

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Straightlines on March 15, 2023, 06:58:13 PMI don't think Faredodgers and Weed Smokers is anywhere near as bad as it was say 10-15 years ago. It used to be rife. I can only speak from using buses in Birmingham regularly.
My personal experience is that Weed and Fare dodgers are the worst they've ever been

j789

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on March 15, 2023, 04:30:15 PM

scrapping cash fares would not do anything to deter fare dodgers. They would still just walk on the bus without paying as they do now. The only way to really stop it would be by having some sort of contraption at the door entrance that would require a ticket or pass to be scanned before it allowed entry on to the bus.

However, the cost of implementing this on every bus would be prohibitive so is a non starter. Also, the number of fare dodgers compared to fare payers would be less than 5% of the total number. Therefore, the cost of lost revenue would still be far less than having to fund additional inspectors or other preventative measures to fully combat this.

It's a shame the police are so under equipped to deal with problem passengers and the courts so weak at actually sending a message to these scumbags by giving them a decent stretch at his majesties pleasure!

GoldenSquid

Quote from: Straightlines on March 15, 2023, 06:58:13 PMI don't think Faredodgers and Weed Smokers is anywhere near as bad as it was say 10-15 years ago. It used to be rife. I can only speak from using buses in Birmingham regularly.
Faredodgers are very common at the moment, although I haven't had many people smoke weed on the bus, I've had quite a few enter the bus with the strong smell of weed.
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

Tony

Quote from: Steve3229vp on March 15, 2023, 07:28:02 PMMy personal experience is that Weed and Fare dodgers are the worst they've ever been
Depends on route, but it is nowhere near as bad as it has been. The last two driving duties I did in December I only had one attempted fare dodge and no smokers. Trouble is when you are driving regularly you don't remember days like those you remember the days when someone has given you grief, and although that's not every day it can seem like ti.

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2023, 07:37:27 PMDepends on route, but it is nowhere near as bad as it has been. The last two driving duties I did in December I only had one attempted fare dodge and no smokers. Trouble is when you are driving regularly you don't remember days like those you remember the days when someone has given you grief, and although that's not every day it can seem like ti.

All I remember is that in the 2000s you would regularly get smoking on buses (drugs/otherwise). Also surely the new ticket scanning system should have assisted fare dodging situation!

markcf83

Quote from: Straightlines on March 15, 2023, 08:26:15 PMAll I remember is that in the 2000s you would regularly get smoking on buses (drugs/otherwise). Also surely the new ticket scanning system should have assisted fare dodging situation!
That I can personally vouch for. I had to open windows on more than one bus in different parts of Birmingham to let the smoke disperse.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk