News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva's future?

Started by andymacp, March 28, 2019, 01:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Coventrybususer95

Could we see nx try to buy them?
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

winston

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on January 19, 2023, 10:24:24 AMCould we see nx try to buy them?
Not very likely. Only small parts of Arriva maybe. 

NX don't have the cash & I doubt they could take on more debt to buy the whole of Arriva Group.

Rachvince53

More likely broken up with elements bought by the likes of Rotala and Centrebus Group, possibly Stagecoach too. I can't see Arriva being bought wholesale by one company, for one thing there's the competition authorities who would examine any deal which resulted in less competition.  

winston

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 19, 2023, 11:42:23 AMMore likely broken up with elements bought by the likes of Rotala and Centrebus Group, possibly Stagecoach too. I can't see Arriva being bought wholesale by one company, for one thing there's the competition authorities who would examine any deal which resulted in less competition. 
Doesn't necessarily have to be acquired by another transport group, DB only want to sell Arriva as a complete Group.

Last time buyout firms Carlyle Group & Apollo Global Management Inc were in talks to buy the group, but valuations didn't meet DB's expectations & talks were called off.

markcf83

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 19, 2023, 11:42:23 AMMore likely broken up with elements bought by the likes of Rotala and Centrebus Group, possibly Stagecoach too. I can't see Arriva being bought wholesale by one company, for one thing there's the competition authorities who would examine any deal which resulted in less competition. 
Agreed. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

metrocity

Quote from: winston on January 19, 2023, 09:52:44 AMDB are considering putting Arriva Group up for sale again: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-17/deutsche-bahn-is-said-to-consider-reviving-sale-of-arriva-unit?leadSource=uverify%20wall
Their latest accounts show an £86m loss, I doubt there will be a large queue of bidders on that basis

winston

Quote from: metrocity on January 19, 2023, 03:20:22 PMTheir latest accounts show an £86m loss, I doubt there will be a large queue of bidders on that basis
It will certainly affect the offers DB receive if nothing else.

It sounds as though DB will struggle to even get back the original £1.6 billion they paid for Arriva in 2010.

j789

Excluding their London operations, of all the larger transport groups, Arriva do seem to have the most challenging operating areas in the current market. Whilst they do have some urban operations, such as in Liverpool and Leicester, many of their territories have significant amounts of rural operation which is particularly challenging at the moment.

Their operations do seem more exposed to the effects of the post-covid operating environment and associated issues related to this, such as reduced passenger numbers vs higher operating costs.

Tony

QuoteExcluding their London operations, of all the larger transport groups, Arriva do seem to have the most challenging operating areas in the current market. Whilst they do have some urban operations, such as in Liverpool and Leicester, many of their territories have significant amounts of rural operation which is particularly challenging at the moment.

Their operations do seem more exposed to the effects of the post-covid operating environment and associated issues related to this, such as reduced passenger numbers vs higher operating costs.
What is now Arriva North East was very profitable when it was owned by West Midlands Travel

j789

Quote from: Tony on January 19, 2023, 07:53:29 PMWhat is now Arriva North East was very profitable when it was owned by West Midlands Travel
Was the reason for this sale in the 90s purely financial? Was there any real scope for WMT to continue expanding in other areas outside the West Midlands?

winston

Quote from: j789 on January 19, 2023, 09:51:12 PMWas the reason for this sale in the 90s purely financial? Was there any real scope for WMT to continue expanding in other areas outside the West Midlands?
WMT was expanding rapidly outside of Birmingham in preparation for a stock market listing, they bought North East Bus, County Bus & Coach, Westlink & Highland Country Buses. They also bid for GM Buses North & some London Buses subsiduaries but were unsuccessful.

NX & WMT then merged & the above ops were considered non core, which was high frequency urban ops, hence their sales under NX ownership.

j789

Quote from: winston on January 19, 2023, 10:43:02 PMWMT was expanding rapidly outside of Birmingham in preparation for a stock market listing, they bought North East Bus, County Bus & Coach, Westlink & Highland Country Buses. They also bid for GM Buses North & some London Buses subsiduaries but were unsuccessful.

NX & WMT then merged & the above ops were considered non core, which was high frequency urban ops, hence their sales under NX ownership.
Thanks for that. I did not know they owned Highland Country. I'm sure HC operated some of the V reg WMT Nationals so maybe they were transferred under ownership.

Budgie

Should the future of Arriva worry the bus industry as a whole? Is there a potential time bomb in the making?

Using the fleet lists on this website as of yesterday, a quick analysis suggests that there could be huge implications for the South and Midlands divisions over the next few years. Using the basis I understand that before deregulation and in London before Covid buses ran for 4 years, overhaul, 8 years, overhaul, 13 years then retired (a good split even if not the case), hopefully you see the following (excluding coaches, training buses, Unite bus etc).

Zone 1Zone 2Zone 3Zone 4Zone 5Total
68-72 plate64-18 plate59-14 plate55-09 plate05 and earlier
Midlands6520122717911683
Mids %9.52%29.43%33.24%26.21%1.61%
South3316116514962570
South %5.79%28.25%28.95%26.14%10.88%

It feels the percentage of older buses, over 13 years old may well reflect the position of other big operators. However, the ratio of buses in each age range looks wrong. Far too few in the "new" stage, far too many in the 3rd stage, meaning as the older buses fail, only a big investment drive could keep the status quo.

Even with those in Zone 2, I calculated 76 were 64 plates, at the very end of the age range.

Why would any new buyer, or indeed the current ownership have a change of investment choices, especially as we are told post Covid passenger numbers are lower?

Budgie

I think in particular the Midlands fleet has a problem.  Newest buses in each depot suggests that new investment might not be coming soon. As an example of newest buses

Aylesbury 9 DD 15 plates over 7 years old now
High Wycombe 5 SD 15 plates only ones under 10 years (having lost their 17 plates they had from new)
Tamworth 10 DD 64 plates
Telford 16 SD 64 plates (excluding the 1 on loan)
Oswestry 7 SD 63 plates
Shrewsbury 5 SD 13 plates.

What future can these depots have?

Arriva do invest in new buses as seen in Luton, Leicester and Gillingham. Yet some of the oldest buses in the Arriva Midlands fleet are at Luton including W reg DDs and the oldest single deckers. So these depots need further investment just to maintain their current status. That suggests cascading from the depots getting investment, such as we are seeing happening from Leicester at the moment, will be tough

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk