News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Red warning of extreme heat

Started by Sandy Lane, July 16, 2022, 06:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings/weather

Trains will be struggling. Wondered how the buses will get on. I reckon it is going to be a problem?

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 16, 2022, 06:25:39 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings/weather

Trains will be struggling. Wondered how the buses will get on. I reckon it is going to be a problem?

It's been 'very hot' before in the past, and barring a couple of 'overheating' incidents, buses generally cope fine. After all, the same types of vehicles are used in other countries where these kinds of temperatures are 'normal'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

karl724223

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 16, 2022, 06:25:39 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings/weather

yep the smell of unwashed body odour will be very bad

markcf83

As long as they're not on DAF chassis they shouldn't be in trouble. I recall an occasion about twenty years ago in London when a driver brought a DLA double deck bus back into Stamford Hill garage and moaned it was the third bus THAT DAY he'd have to swap over...... 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Westy

It'll be interesting to see how Chaserider get on, seeing they have problems in normal temparatures!

Ginger66

According to BBC TfL said there could be delays to services or some cancelled due to the heat,.  More than likely short notice changes due to drivers pulling a fast sickie so they can enjoy the hot weather.

I noticed yesterday West Midlands trains tweeted trains that serves our regional stations could have delays/cancellations due to lack of crew for services for yesterday.

Westy

My sister(Yes that one!) & her friend have been in Scotland all weekend, mainly to see The Script perform.

It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take them to get back to the West Midlands tomorrow.

(Personally, I've been enjoying the peace & quiet!)

don

Quote from: karl724223 on July 16, 2022, 03:07:20 PMyep the smell of unwashed body odour will be very bad

And that's just the staff  :police:

I wonder if the Hydroliners will suffer from fuel vaporisation....... 

The physical problem for rail will be speed restrictions imposed because of potential heat impact on rails, and on electricity supply because of excess heat on equipment. 

It's times like this that you start to lament the lack of aircon on buses!!! 
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stu

Quote from: don on July 17, 2022, 04:16:52 PMThe physical problem for rail will be speed restrictions imposed because of potential heat impact on rails, and on electricity supply because of excess heat on equipment. 

It makes you wonder how train companies in countries where high temperatures are 'normal' cope.
My locals:

Tony

QuoteIt makes you wonder how train companies in countries where high temperatures are 'normal' cope.
You set your rails up to cope with the temperatures your country normally experiences.

Gareth

Quote from: Ginger66 on July 17, 2022, 08:28:36 AMMore than likely short notice changes due to drivers pulling a fast sickie so they can enjoy the hot weather.

I dont think anyone will be enjoying the hot weather!
We've never experienced the predicted temperatures in the UK, 40c here will be very different to 40c in other countries that you may go to on holiday!

Westy

Quote from: Westy on July 17, 2022, 12:22:34 PMMy sister(Yes that one!) & her friend have been in Scotland all weekend, mainly to see The Script perform.

It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take them to get back to the West Midlands tomorrow.

(Personally, I've been enjoying the peace & quiet!)
She's back ! :(

Apparently there was a service from Scotland that should have terminated at Crewe,  so she could change for Stafford,  but said train went onto Stafford itself!

In other news,  has any operators been 'naughty ' , and left the front doors open for additional flow through of air?

Sandy Lane

Fair play to Diamond. Today they gave some good advice to passengers on Twitter

Its going to be a hot day on the Midlands Network today.
Remember to take a bottle of water with you while you are out and about, to keep yourself well hydrated.
 Keep windows open on the bus, to keep air circulating around the vehicle.

Tony

QuoteFair play to Diamond. Today they gave some good advice to passengers on Twitter

Its going to be a hot day on the Midlands Network today.
Remember to take a bottle of water with you while you are out and about, to keep yourself well hydrated.
Keep windows open on the bus, to keep air circulating around the vehicle.
Yes, fair play to them, but they shouldn't really need to. Surely it is common sense in hot weather to drink water and keep bus windows open. I really wonder what has happened to our education system when a bus company needs to tell its passengers that.

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 18, 2022, 08:00:16 PMKeep windows open on the bus, to keep air circulating around the vehicle.

Quote from: Tony on July 18, 2022, 08:08:17 PMYes, fair play to them, but they shouldn't really need to. Surely it is common sense in hot weather to drink water and keep bus windows open. I really wonder what has happened to our education system when a bus company needs to tell its passengers that.

The problem with opening bus windows on days like today, is that all that happens is the 'very warm' air from outside gets transferred into the bus saloon, thus also making the interior of the bus 'very warm'.

I did genuinely see some comments on Twitter earlier from people complaining to NX Bus about their buses "having the heating on".

The circulation of air within the bus only happens when that bus starts moving at some speed. It doesn't happen when buses are stuck in traffic congestion.

Thankfully we only have one more day of this. And that is another reason why West Midlands buses don't have aircon, because the costs involved far outweigh the benefts.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk