News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPC

Quote from: ben710 on February 18, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: Valandil on February 18, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
When you caught the 42, was it by any chance the first working which elderly/disabled pass-holders can use? -- that one seems to be the most popular!

Sorry to dissapoint but no it wasn't. I think I was on the second working from the city centre at about 11am, completely by chance;it turned up within seconds of me getting to the stop in the Burges.

And the majority of those riders would have came into town on the 0930 from Coundon. ;D

JoNi

This weekend sees the start of the next phase of Trinity Street works.

Bus stop alterations
21 Willenhall reverts to opposite Pool Meadow with 2/3.
21 Wood End reverts to opposite Fire Station
13 Willenhall moves forward to where 21 picks up now
Stagecoach buses to Leamington pick up outside museum
20 and Stagecoach routes to Nuneaton move down to bottom of Trinity Street.

JoNi

Work started yesterday with demolition of remaining ghastly bus shelters which provided no shelter from elements. For those who miss this rare design there are still some sited outside Wood Green shopping centre in North London.

Ben

Roadworks... Feel free to ignore. :P
Quote from: JoNi on February 21, 2014, 08:44:55 AM
This weekend sees the start of the next phase of Trinity Street works.
Yes, and its currently a mess. Which shop will have a bus inside its front window next? (That was rhetorical)

Good news for the 11/12: Belvedere road has reopened and it looks like Hearsall Common is back to normal!
Staying on the topic of roadworks (11/12), I wish the inbound diversion via the ring road was permanent. Felt a little bit thrashy this evening!

JoNi

Ben, the speed the work outside the council house is proceeding it might as well be! I walked past the site this morning and found new kerbstones had been laid outside Browns reducing the road to single file, allowing Brown's to have the possibility of a huge seating area on the pavement.

Valandil

It seems that Clifford Bridge Road is to go down to one lane for some of the time until Monday.
Hopefully this won't cause too many problems.

Ben

I saw a strange display yesterday...
vehicle 2166.  I'm using "~" to replicate a thick orange line. Everything on the display was completely static.

Old Church Road
20  ~~~~~~~~~~~
        Short Working

Info anybody? Thanks :)

JPC

Quote from: ben710 on March 02, 2014, 01:09:57 AM
vehicle 2166.  I'm using "~" to replicate a thick orange line. Everything on the display was completely static.

Old Church Road
20  ~~~~~~~~~~~
        Short Working

A traffic accident briefly closed Foleshill Road near to Windmill Rd at about Midday on Saturday, guessing the bus was significantly late at the time you seen it and only had time for a short return trip until his or her relief/book off time.

Valandil

Quote from: ben710 on March 02, 2014, 01:09:57 AM

Old Church Road
20  ~~~~~~~~~~~
        Short Working

That's a good sighting!
The only short version of the 20 I've seen before is to 'Longford Square'.
It's silly that every route has 'E' appended for short workings (after the removal of any other letters there first) except for the 20, because it's already taken by the main route 20E.

Ben

Quote from: JPC on March 02, 2014, 04:33:43 PM
A traffic accident briefly closed Foleshill Road near to Windmill Rd at about Midday on Saturday, guessing the bus was significantly late at the time you seen it and only had time for a short return trip until his or her relief/book off time.
That makes perfect sense now.
Quote from: Valandil on March 02, 2014, 09:47:28 PM
That's a good sighting!
The only short version of the 20 I've seen before is to 'Longford Square'.
It's silly that every route has 'E' appended for short workings (after the removal of any other letters there first) except for the 20, because it's already taken by the main route 20E.
I personally like the E appendix, but I see the point that it creates the dialemma of what is done if a short working is shortened? or in the case of multiple digit route numbers.
I like the compromise here; a one off short working that clearly show's where the bus will terminate.

Thanks all!

paulb1973

Think I would have left the 20/30/40 numbering system as it was during the Feb 2012 changes. The 40 to Bell Green was clear enough and appeared to passengers as a separate service. 30 could have been used for shorter-workings to Oban Rd (as was broadly the case in the early 70's) with the 20 going all the way to Bedworth, as it always did, leaving '20A' & '20E' free. We have a plethora of 'A' services in Coventry currently, harking back to the final days of CT and the first few years of WMPTE operation - perhaps its just a fad and these will disappear and be renumbered in the long-term?

Valandil

Quote from: paulb1973 on March 04, 2014, 10:19:01 AM
Think I would have left the 20/30/40 numbering system as it was during the Feb 2012 changes. The 40 to Bell Green was clear enough and appeared to passengers as a separate service. 30 could have been used for shorter-workings to Oban Rd (as was broadly the case in the early 70's) with the 20 going all the way to Bedworth, as it always did, leaving '20A' & '20E' free. We have a plethora of 'A' services in Coventry currently, harking back to the final days of CT and the first few years of WMPTE operation - perhaps its just a fad and these will disappear and be renumbered in the long-term?

I have to say that I do prefer the 20a/e slightly to 20/30/40(/50/60 as was) since at least it shows some logical connection.
When I first came to Coventry, I remember being a bit confused that the 20 shared far more in common with distant numbers like 50 and 60 than it did with the 19 and 21.
Ideally, I would like to see three consecutive numbers used, e.g. 24, 25, 26, but at least 20/a/b would be preferable to 20a/e in my view.
I also feel really sorry for the people of Hawkesbury who no longer have a bus to Coventry, and wish that half of the 20e's could run to there instead of Oban Road: surely it must only take about 1/2 mins more than doing that loop.

paulb1973

Quote from: Valandil on March 04, 2014, 10:41:08 PM
Quote from: paulb1973 on March 04, 2014, 10:19:01 AM

I have to say that I do prefer the 20a/e slightly to 20/30/40(/50/60 as was) since at least it shows some logical connection.
When I first came to Coventry, I remember being a bit confused that the 20 shared far more in common with distant numbers like 50 and 60 than it did with the 19 and 21.
Ideally, I would like to see three consecutive numbers used, e.g. 24, 25, 26, but at least 20/a/b would be preferable to 20a/e in my view.
I also feel really sorry for the people of Hawkesbury who no longer have a bus to Coventry, and wish that half of the 20e's could run to there instead of Oban Road: surely it must only take about 1/2 mins more than doing that loop.

There is a history of both in the city, consecutive numbers being used on services that broadly follow the same route; 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 10/11, 32/33 and so on. But also using numbers ending in the same digit as described above, 21/31/41/51 along the Stoney Stanton Rd at one point, other examples include the 17/27 & 18/28 - although the City - Spon End/Earlsdon - Canley corridor, you could say has used both systems: 18/18E/19/19W/28/29 etc since the separate Earlsdon (29/39) & Canley (18) services were merged in April 1985. 

JoNi

I stand to be corrected by other forum members,

The impression I have is there was an edict from Wumpty in the 70's that A and C suffixes were for circular services only. Hence the demise of Coventry suffix lettered routes and why 32 and 33 were used for the merger of routes 6 and 8/A instead of taking one of the old numbers.

This almost as bad as TfL who had to extend the 5 to Romford to "obtain" the number 87 so that it could get rid of the last suffix lettered route in London the 77A.

From my experiences in Trent where bus displays show "Sixes" alternating with variants shown as 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3

:D

Does anyone else know about this one?

PD0001111/693 - WEST MIDLANDS TRAVEL LTD T/A TRAVEL WEST MIDLANDS, 51 BORDESLEY GREEN, BIRMINGHAM, B9 4BZ

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Tile Hill, North Terminus and Coventry, University Hospital, Walsgrave given service number C1 effective from 23-Mar-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

I think most of info in VOSA database is outdated, and that's probably why I don't know anything about C1, but my guess is that it's 18/A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk